Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: DWTS 3/29

vCash
    I'll support Niecy all the way to the bitter end.

vCash
    I think Nicole comes across as very likable and not in any way difficult or diva'ish on the show. I even enjoy the sense of humor she displays in the rehearsal footage. It's more low-key than Niecy, whom I also love, but it shows her positive attitude which is something Kate and others are totally lacking. I don't know if it will carry her to the end but I hope she's around for a while. I like her. I think Evan should be scoring much closer to her though. He's doing really, really well and also displaying all the great attributes that got him an Olympic medal. Hard work, focus and a positive attitude.
    Last edited by uyeahu; 03-30-2010 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    Kate has ALWAYS been unpleasant. It's the only remarkable thing about her aside from having 8 kids and horrific hair. WHO thought it would be a good idea to have her on this show? They should be shot.
    Whoever decided to have her on the show is probably congratulating themselves. I think she's definitely bringing in viewers -- even if those viewers are tuning in to see her be unpleasant and crash and burn on the dance floor. I doubt Tony has ever taught someone who had so little skill and experience in dance. He probably doesn't know how to teach her, and I don't blame him for being frustrated, though he probably does have to try different teaching approaches with her. And surely he knew how difficult she could be before he ageed to dance with her. It just takes one episode of her show to realize that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Again--Tony's job as teacher is to change how he presents the information if the student doesn't get it. Kate's job as student is to express herself RESPECTFULLY. She's obviously not very good at that. But then her dancing was horrible. It absolutely should have been scored below Buzz's. She's...I think either Ladies A1 or A2 age for dancesport, Buzz is WAY into Gentleman's C, and she was doing worse than the average Newcomer while he was respectably pre-bronze. A whole heck of lot of that was in the smile and effort.
    Ah, now THAT makes sense. I wish that the judges on this show would use this type of age-based judging, because IMO, for an 84 year old man, Buzz is doing quite well, and he shouldn't be judged against people who are 50 years his junior.

My dance teacher knows Tony, so I asked him about what happened last night. He said that Tony is a teacher that students tend to literally adore, and he's taught some "extremely difficult students". In the opinion of my dance teacher, if Tony walked out, something was extremely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I doubt Tony has ever taught someone who had so little skill and experience in dance. He probably doesn't know how to teach her, and I don't blame him for being frustrated, though he probably does have to try different teaching approaches with her.
    He has taught someone at Kate's level, and recently. At the studio where I take lessons, they have Tony come in quite often and do private lessons, and the dancers he teaches include beginning social dancers of all levels and abilities.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 03-30-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post

And waah, waah, waah - "a lot of people quit on me in life".
    Maybe she gives those people very good reason to "quit on" her. And the most important thing is not that other people quit on her, but that she not quit on herself.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Still think Evan has more interesting quality of movement than Nicole. Nicole seems so "prepackaged." She is really, really pretty though! I think they are both front runners.

I think Pam is so much fun! She's not very good, but she definitely creates a character and makes a statement! I will pull for Niecy, but I would be a lot happier with her if she would tone it down. She just wears me out to the point where I want to like her but I just don';t have enough energy!

Kate. is. the. worst. How can one poor woman emanate so much unlikeability?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Yes, I am prejudiced because I want Evan to do well, but good grief-he has tons more performance quality than Nicole. She's very bland. I gues that's easy for me to say because I don't have the hormones to appreciate her sexuality. But I don't think Evan's that sexy either! He's a sweet, hard-working kid, and he's a better dancer than Nicole in my humble opinion.
    It's easy to do a simply stretch at the end of a phrase and make it look pretty. Nicole is good at that, but the in-between isn't as good.

I also think Pamela is a hoot. Just a fun, silly, ridiculous thing. She's absolutely ridiculous, and I love her for it!

Kate is scary.
    You beat me to it, Nicole was WAY overmarked.
    I hope this isn't going to happen all season. It's as if they have already picked her to win and are going to mark her that way no matter how she dances.
    Seriously, 10's for that dance? Give me a break!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    He has taught someone at Kate's level, and recently. At the studio where I take lessons, they have Tony come in quite often and do private lessons, and the dancers he teaches include beginning social dancers of all levels and abilities.
    There are other people as bad as Kate out there who are taking dance lessons? She's really bad. I still think that he needs to adapt his teaching approach if it's not working for her. Different people learn differently. But, really, I think most people would not want to teach Kate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    There are other people as bad as Kate out there who are taking dance lessons? She's really bad. I still think that he needs to adapt his teaching approach if it's not working for her. Different people learn differently. But, really, I think most people would not want to teach Kate.
    A significant number of people who come in for their first lessons are far more like Kate in danceability (if not in temperament) than they are like Evan. I think the average is around a Pam.

But it's the attitude that tends to be different. 99.9% of adults who walk into a ballroom dance studio for their first lessons want to be there, and it tends to show. They're happy, they laugh. Kate looks scared to death. I'd feel bad for her, if she came across as a more likeable person.

And this is from me, who has never seen her show. I'm judging her only based on what I've seen from two episodes of DWTS, and from what I've seen, she's no fun.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The buzz at my stylists is that Kate's performance was painfully bad, Buzz is great for a man in his 80s, Pam Anderson is funny and they adore her, Evan has feet issues and should point his toes (they don't think he's all that good), Nicole is awesome but get that some people won't like her. Bachelor, Ochocinco, and soap star can go in any order. After Kate. Erin is good because everybody likes Maks and want him to stay around.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Tony is one of the few pros on the show who has actually competed in Pro-Am. He has probably taught LOTS of beginners!

Oh, Allskate, there are people hired as teachers by franchises with less experience than Kate! Especially men. Remember in Dirty Dancing how Johnny says he was recruited by a guy from Arthur Murray? That's not fiction. Check your local craigslist and there's probably an ad with "no experience necessary." We call them "six-week wonders." (Not to say that FADS and AM don't have extremely talented and qualified people, but as they're franchise studios the quality varies wildly.)

Kate is hardly the least-talented person to ever take lessons. Or even compete. The problem is she's about where the average person on the street SHOULD be after two weeks, while she's up against a lot more physically talented people, is being expected to do Open-level routines, and is doing it on national television.

And they really can't use the pro-am age splits, because ordinarily, you wouldn't compete against each other. (And in fairness, the C division ecompasses age 50+!) You also would generally not have gentleman ams against ladies. This is more like a combined scholarship event with L and G against each other, Open footwork, and all ages! (Closed means sylabus--I dance "closed" bronze (okay, we cheat one step in Cha that's actually silver) meaning I'm not supposed to do any steps that aren't on the Bronze sylabus for a particular dance. Open means you can dance any steps you want so long as they dont' violate general rules about lifts. The stuff on DWTS is Open, and yes, Carrie Anne is being WAY more anal about the lifts than most invigilators at real competitions.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    A significant number of people who come in for their first lessons are far more like Kate in danceability (if not in temperament) than they are like Evan. I think the average is around a Pam.

But it's the attitude that tends to be different. 99.9% of adults who walk into a ballroom dance studio for their first lessons want to be there, and it tends to show. They're happy, they laugh. Kate looks scared to death. I'd feel bad for her, if she came across as a more likeable person.

And this is from me, who has never seen her show. I'm judging her only based on what I've seen from two episodes of DWTS, and from what I've seen, she's no fun.
    I'm thinking that many of those adults would also "look scared to death" if they knew that they would in a few weeks be seen on TV by millions of people. I actually did feel a bit sorry for Kate because it was clear that she couldn't communicate to Tony how/why what he was attempting to teach her wasn't getting through. It seemed like it was first a basic communication problem that was made worse by her interactional "style" and the way she reacted to Tony's reaction. That said, I really could not watch her dance, because the 10-15 seconds of it I saw were just too embarrassing, even for as unlikeable a personality as Kate seems.

vCash
    I watched some of this last night and is it just me or does practically every single female "star" on this show have a boob job?

vCash
    I would have felt sorry for Kate if she had not chosen the moment the cameras were around to ask him to change. The camera crews are not usually there all day or even every day during practice time. She could have chosen both a better way or a better time.

I doubt it was manufactured by the producers, but she was certainly playing it up for the cameras. I don't think she is without talent or ability when it comes to dancing, but she is without passion or desire. There are those out there who are unteachable because of their general attitude. She seems to be falling in that category.

I'm sure during practice she thinks she is doing well and is ready to compete. Then she sees what the others are doing. Remember she's had to do the same dances as the two front runners (Evan and Nicole). I'm sure that bashes her ego even more when she sees them perform before her. The problem is that I don't think she has the self awareness to realize that maybe she should follow Tony's direction more and try to conform to his style. Instead she's looking sour and acting like she's a victim in it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I watched some of this last night and is it just me or does practically every single female "star" on this show have a boob job?
    I think it is to keep Pam's company.

vCash
    Dial Idol seems to suggest that Evan is the one with the fewest votes -- I guess we'll see. If so, I'm surprised, because it really can't be based on his dancing. But they also seemed to indicate that Kate had the most votes, which is similarly hard to believe.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I can't believe Nicolle didn't have a wardrobe malfunction last night during that jive. I'm still laughing at Len's comments to Pam.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    per Carrie Anne, they are taped in
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Dial Idol seems to suggest that Evan is the one with the fewest votes -- I guess we'll see. If so, I'm surprised, because it really can't be based on his dancing. But they also seemed to indicate that Kate had the most votes, which is similarly hard to believe.
    It's hardly ever accurate since most people probably vote online. It's way faster.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evan go relatively early. His lack of audience personality is not helping him.

vCash
    I missed it last night.... and sounds like I missed "Saint Kate" showing her true colors!

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast