Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: DWTS 3/29

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Evan did a great job!

I have to admit, the strangest thing for me to see was the camera panning to Evan's guests at 3:30 into this clip and seeing Frank sitting next to Lipinski . . . even if all I have ever heard from Frank were compliments for Lipinski skating her heart out, it still seemed strange to see.

Anna Trebunskaya & Evan Lysacek - Jive - Week 2

vCash
    I didn't see the clip. But I will say in Tony's defense that he normally has a reputation for being a very mellow guy, and this may be the first time we've seen this kind of thing with one of his students. I think that in and of itself, suggest who the problem is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    a 15??? I was expecting worse than Buzz

Brooke asks the dumbest questions ever!!
    yeah. i used to think samantha harris was dumb. how much worse is this?

vCash
    by the way i have to watch online - any bare chests i needed to be watching for?
    Last edited by ncskatefan; 03-30-2010 at 06:59 PM.

vCash
    I really enjoy watching Niecy learn and perform. She seems like one heck of a gal.
    Now, Kate can disappear and I'll be very happy.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I predict Either Kate, Buzz or Aiden to be voted off tonight. I hope it's Kate but I dislike Aiden's dancing and personality, as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I would have loved it if we saw Frank standing by the side of the dance floor, giving encouraging last minute reminders to Evan before he and Ana took the floorand counting out the rotations during the dance
    That would be awesome.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    I predict Either Kate, Buzz or Aiden to be voted off tonight. I hope it's Kate but I dislike Aiden's dancing and personality, as well.
    Aiden comes across as more likeable than Kate does, and he improved, IMO, quite a bit since the first week. His first week, not only was his dancing bad, but he also came across as cocky. This week, he seems far more genuine. I hope he stays for another week or so - I feel like he could actually continue to grow the longer he stays here.

I also thought that Buzz improved since last week, although I was disappointed that the judges didn't note that. I felt that a Foxtrot suited his partnership with young hottie a lot better than the Cha Cha Cha did. And at least Buzz seems genuinely interested in this show, and I feel like his being on could encourage other older folks to try dancing.

Kate doesn't even seem particularly interested in being here, and while both she and Buzz have had difficulty learning the steps, at least Buzz was able to develop a method that worked for him, to help him remember - the flowchart, bless his engineering heart. Kate is just a hot mess.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash

Is Nicole ruining this season of DWTS?

Interesting MSNBC article, taking the POV that Nicole is hurting DWTS:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36092130...nt-reality_tv/

I see their point and that of many of you here - everyone else is busting their butt and she just appears to be floating along (admittedly, she doesn't need much training). This could bite her bigtime with a backlash.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Kate doesn't even seem particularly interested in being here
    Well, she is interested in the paycheck. Unfortunately, she's clueless as to how to keep that paycheck.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I honestly do not mind Nicole but I do think they should not have given her those 10s. I cannot stand Kate. Hopefully she will be gone soon.

vCash

Thumbs up

Evan did a really good job - and I don't even like his skating, lol!

I liked Pam, too...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I think Pam is fabulous. Who knew she could act? She really does a nice job of taking on whatever role suits the dance.

I don't like the Bachelor guy. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. I ended up fast-forwarding through his routine. Boring.

Likewise, I fast forwarded through Nicole's routine. I know she can dance, but... to be honest, I find the others more interesting.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post

I see their point and that of many of you here - everyone else is busting their butt and she just appears to be floating along (admittedly, she doesn't need much training). This could bite her bigtime with a backlash.
    Having not watched the show before (or Idol, for that matter), I don't know how there is a backlash. How important is fan voting as compared to judges scores? Would the backlash occur if people refuse to vote for her? Also, is the scoring cumulative or does it go back to even week to week or after the elimination round?

I agree with the article - it doesn't seem right to have a professional dancer on the show. I thought Evan should have had closer scores last night, but if there's no real competition for her after two shows then why bother to watch? I can catch Evan on You Tube.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I just couldn't get past Nicole whining about a song that's used routinely for competitive jive and swing. It's like they had to make up something for her to bitch about.

Again--Tony's job as teacher is to change how he presents the information if the student doesn't get it. Kate's job as student is to express herself RESPECTFULLY. She's obviously not very good at that. But then her dancing was horrible. It absolutely should have been scored below Buzz's. She's...I think either Ladies A1 or A2 age for dancesport, Buzz is WAY into Gentleman's C, and she was doing worse than the average Newcomer while he was respectably pre-bronze. A whole heck of lot of that was in the smile and effort.

And I agree with the point of the MSN article, but I think she's not accounting enough for name recognition, fan voting, and backlash.

ETA: Sk8r1964, the scoring's not cumulative and I believe it's 50-50 judges/audience. The judges scores' could carry Nicole, but only so far. If the voting gets bad enough they would have to start drastically underscoring her nearest competition. That's assuming it's all honest, with no intentional overscoring and vote-count manipulation (how much do you trust ABC?)
    Last edited by danceronice; 03-30-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Actually, my favorite of the night was Niecy. Maybe because she's a pleasant surprise where I expected Evan and Nicole to do well. But she is fun and gets totally into the character of the dance.

Evan/Nicole both good, but Evan's feet did bug me and Nicole needed to loosen up her shoulders. Nicole not a 10 yet.

I thought Erin looked totally awkward especially in the arms.

Pam was fine, but her Marilyn Monroe act went on too long and made her look nuts.

Shannen wasn't awful - overmarked and offtime, but she got it back together and got through.

Jake - ok, he is overthinking it and his posture is not good.

Aiden was better than last week, but meh.

Chad was totally clunky and even made Cheryl look clunky.

Buzz just looked like a granddad out there on the dance floor - nothing great, but not painful. Just kinda "awwww."

Kate was the worst I think I have ever seen on this show -- I really think worse than Master P and Monica Seles. Totally painful. So much harder to watch than Buzz.

And I agree with danceronice about the teacher presenting the material in different ways to find one that clicks with the student. Funny, but I didn't think that would be Tony's weakness -- I thought Maks was the just do what I said style of teacher.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I suspect Tony's never run into a student quite like Kate before....

Quadless
    vCash
    I was worried about Evan doing the jive, but he totally rocked it. And he looked at once ridiculous and totally smokin' in that pompadour. I'm really impressed by how well he's doing, and I hope he keeps it going.

I have to say, though, that there's something about Anna that totally bugs me. In a vague way, she reminds me of Oksana Baiul and her desperate, attention seeking ways. Just a tad too much drama in a "look at me" kind of way.

And on a semi-related note, I had always wished that Evan would have done a free skate to an upbeat Broadway program, in part because physically he reminds me so much of Tommy Tune. This number sort of validated that wish for me.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post

Nicole doesn't project a warm and fuzzy personality for the home viewing audience. She won't win the audience vote, just like Mya didn't win last season. Not sure if Nicole will even make the final two.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Pam and Evan for the finals

Although, I think Evan won't last long. I don't think he'll get a lot of fan support unless every figure skating fan votes like crazy for him.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast