Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My elementary school and middle school both did not have cafeterias, so the only option was to brown bag it. Plus the elementary school had lunch inspections daily, as things like pop, candy, potato chips etc weren't allowed.

Our highscool cafeteria was amazing. The food was cheap (2 bucks for soups, salads and sandwiches, 4-5 dollars for entrees like pasta dishes or meat with potatoes and veggies) and it was also all made fresh daily. Instead of paying lots of money to staff and cook the food, they allowed the local college to use their facilities to run their culinary arts program. The HS students got cheap and healthy food, and the college students got their training. It was win win.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    This may be a tad out there, but you may be able to pull off home-grown tomatoes for yourself. I was watching CNBC late the other night, and they did a special on all those "As Seen On TV" gadgets and doohickeys that people mail off for. In addition to covering the industry, they did a segment covering some of the ones that seem to work.

One of the items that received a positive review was this thing called a Topsy-Turvy Tomato (or something like that). It allows you to grow tomato plants indoors from a hanging-basket thing (the plant grows upside down somehow), and according to the show, the sucker works. Even better, it's now available in a lot of drug stores. I've seen it at Rite-Aid and CVS, so you might want to check it out. IIRC, they run about 20 bucks, which is a small price to pay for fresh, juicy 'maters rather than those nasty, pink, grainy, flavorless greenhouse things most grocery stores carry.
    Everybody I know who tried those upside down thingys, threw them away.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I'm watching this tonight while I try to decide what I want for dinner...Sonic? McDonalds? Wendys? How awful....
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I can't believe that the person in charge of the Food Program went after Jamie for not having enough veggies in that Stir Fry and then insisted that French Fries had to go back on the Lunch menu to get the proper Veggie quota.

I mean...Really!?! Unbelievable and I share Jamie's anger over a French Fry being considered a Veggie choice every day. No wonder our kids are becoming obese!!

Oh and Anita...You think sliced fresh peaches are a slice of heaven. Have you ever had a half of a peach after it had been grilled and a drizzle of honey over it? That was the dessert at a cousin's Bridal Shower last year and to die for!! Soooo good!!!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Luckily we live in SoCal and it was mild enough that most of the seedlings lived and now I have 3 happy growing flowering heirloom tomato plants in my backyard. Just get one big pot per plant (biggest pot you can find, the roots go DEEP) and a sunny spot, and you should be good to go. Tomatoes love sun, so they're a perfect summer plant. The only thing you really need to do is make sure they get a lot of sun and water it slow and deep but not too often.
    Glad to hear you have tomato plants - no one should ever be deprived of those summertime gems .

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Everybody I know who tried those upside down thingys, threw them away.
    . So much for accuracy in consumer journalism . When the reporter said the things worked, I had high hopes for people I know who live in apartments and don't have access to a plot for a garden.

Several of the churches near here are allowing their members to set up small family gardens on the property. I don't know if they have to pay a fee or what, but some fo the Moms I talked with absolutely loved the idea. My neighbor who I'm gardening with right now did that last year, but their church was almost 20 miles from their house and it became a PITA to go over there every day to water, check on things, etc. It's much easier to walk down the street to do the same thing now .

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I can't believe that the person in charge of the Food Program went after Jamie for not having enough veggies in that Stir Fry and then insisted that French Fries had to go back on the Lunch menu to get the proper Veggie quota.

I mean...Really!?! Unbelievable and I share Jamie's anger over a French Fry being considered a Veggie choice every day. No wonder our kids are becoming obese!!
    That's absolute bollocks. They have to add FF to satisfy some bullshit regulation decree, and of course, French Fries are just chock-full of nutrition .

And FFS, they're having to eat all that fatty, processed potato crap. How damn difficult is it to "bake" potatoes like the way Wendy's does (IIRC they're actually boiled and/or steamed), and serve each kid a half of one? To me that would make a lot more sense and would likely be more nutricious than deep frying all the preservative-laden crap in old oil?

BTW, why was it ever decided that middle and high schools had to have their lunch hour turned into a miniature Food Court? I swear, HS today have it better than the cafeterias at most of the colleges back when I was in school.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    . So much for accuracy in consumer journalism . When the reporter said the things worked, I had high hopes for people I know who live in apartments and don't have access to a plot for a garden.
    I wouldn't give up on them yet - if there are good reviews, it's worth a shot.

As for growing things in less than perfect conditions, check out yougrowgirl.com (also a book) - it's all about urban gardening in less than perfect conditions (like SoCal Anita, ahem!).

FSUer mkats has also shared photos of her efforts over the past year or two to grow all kinds of fruits and vegetables in her dorm room and on a balcony, and the results are really impressive!

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Oh and Anita...You think sliced fresh peaches are a slice of heaven. Have you ever had a half of a peach after it had been grilled and a drizzle of honey over it? That was the dessert at a cousin's Bridal Shower last year and to die for!! Soooo good!!!
    I always thought that cooked fruit was sacrilege but I've been a little more adventurous in my cooking and have made caramelized cherry dishes and caramelized pear dishes and those were delish so I might try the grilled peach idea now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    As for growing things in less than perfect conditions, check out yougrowgirl.com (also a book) - it's all about urban gardening in less than perfect conditions (like SoCal Anita, ahem!).

FSUer mkats has also shared photos of her efforts over the past year or two to grow all kinds of fruits and vegetables in her dorm room and on a balcony, and the results are really impressive!

Where there's a will, there's a way.
    mkats' efforts are more impressive than mine! At least I get a lot of sun, no frost and I actually have a (small) backyard to put all my huge pots in. I also don't get too scientific with my growing haha. I'm too lazy to cultivate the soil and weed, but many plants are fine in pots. The yield is not great for things like broccoli (ugh never again) or tomatoes, but the leafy plants grow like crazy. My parsley grew up to like, 4 ft high before I finally cut it down. All you really need is a sunny spot. And even if you don't have one, there's always grow lights.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Reading these comments is making me wish could watch this. I'm working till 10 Friday nights though.. meh.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I was also shocked that the woman said there weren't enough veggies in his dish and they had to bring out fries. However, there was also salad included to meet the quota but the kids did not have to take any and almost none of them did! At least with the pasta the kids would be eating some veggies. She also admitted she didn't check to see if the dish had enough veggies, she just assumed. Jamie seemed convinced he measured it all out correctly and I think he is probably right. She didn't seem like a betch but she showed how messed up the system is.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    How can a stirfry not have enough veggies? I'm perplexed by this..

vCash
    I think the issue of the stir fry is that Jamie measured 1 1/3 cup or whatever per serving before cooking, and the woman was eyeing-balling post-cooking, where it would be signfignatly less than that.

Or the stupid USDA guidelines require that the vegetable is seperate.

vCash
    I thought the kookiest part was considering a french fry a vegetable. That's like saying a sundae counts for fruit because of the cherry on top.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Or counting strawberry jello as fruit because it has fruit flavouring.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I wouldn't give up on them yet - if there are good reviews, it's worth a shot.
    Four retired farmers told me yesterday that they use them and get bushels of great tomatoes, so someone must be having some success with them.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Or they could work the way my family worked - if I didn't like what was served, I didn't eat.
    That's how we do it at my house.

I don't think forcing kids to eat things they claim not to like is a good idea if you want your kids to grow up with a healthy relationship with food. But some parents just can't stand the idea of their kids going hungry so they do cater to them and keep trying to make things they like. This is a bad idea too IMO as it just changes the battle, but it still makes food and eating a battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    My husband was disgusted by the kids' lack of knowledge of vegetables until Jamie held up the eggplant. Hubby turned to me with a blank look on his face and shrugged.
    I wanted them to show a leek. My kids actually know what that is! But I have to admit that I don't know what a lot of the more exotic veggies are. I have recipe books that talk about stuff that I have no idea what it is and I have to look them up on the internet before I go shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    From what I've read, part of the problem is that school districts slashed their food service budgets in order to save money. As a result, they no longer hire enough cafeteria staff to prepare meals from scratch. Instead they rely upon prepared foods the cafeteria staff merely need to heat before serving.
    That's how it worked at my kids' public school. The food was awful -- lukewarm grilled cheese sandwiches, "burritos" what were just beens and tortillas ... I met my kid for lunch a lot and ate the food too and I was appalled. But a lot of the stuff that ends up in packed lunches wasn't that hot either. Plus kids wouldn't necessarily eat what they brought. A LOT of food ends up in the trash or traded around.

Just like on the show.

I remember being unimpressed with the food in my cafeteria when I was a kid - bland, overcooked, too much starch and fat, etc. -- but it was 100x better than what they are serving these days.

I'm actually glad to hear that a lot of what we are seeing is staged. I was just appalled at some of the resistance Jamie was getting and it's nice to know that the people weren't quite that moronic!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    That's how we do it at my house.

I don't think forcing kids to eat things they claim not to like is a good idea if you want your kids to grow up with a healthy relationship with food. But some parents just can't stand the idea of their kids going hungry so they do cater to them and keep trying to make things they like. This is a bad idea too IMO as it just changes the battle, but it still makes food and eating a battlefield.
    I don't think forcing a picky kid to eat something causes any real long-term damage. Now that I think about it I was a pretty headstrong kid at times and sometimes went to bed hungry or ate things I didn't like. But I eat anything pretty freely now and I don't think the whole thing did me much harm. My sister's the same way. She used to hate seafood so much she used to throw shrimp under the table at restaurants. She still dislikes seafood but is more open-minded to it.

IMO the real harm is using unhealthy foods as rewards (especially to get the kid to eat the stuff they're picky about), or the parents having an unhealthy relationship with food themselves (whether they overeat or diet excessively). Kids pick up on that, especially when the parents have an unhealthy relationship with food.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I wanted them to show a leek. My kids actually know what that is! But I have to admit that I don't know what a lot of the more exotic veggies are. I have recipe books that talk about stuff that I have no idea what it is and I have to look them up on the internet before I go shopping!
    We went to the Santa Monica Community Gardens this weekend and I was so giddy I got to see an artichoke coming out of a plant.

And I still don't know what a lot of the vegetable plants look like. I can only identify it if it's got something familiar growing on it.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I was never forced to eat things I didn't like. I was a pretty picky eater but mom never made me something different, she just made sure there was something incorporated in the meal that I did like so I at least ate something. She usually made a variety of veggies though because not everyone in the family likes the same thing.. sometimes I liked all of the veggies (if it was broccolli and carrots) and ate all of them and sometimes I only liked some of them (like if it was carrots and brussel sprouts.. even to this day I don't like brussel sprouts).. but at least I was getting veggies. She never made a whole different meal for me though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    I was never forced to eat things I didn't like. I was a pretty picky eater but mom never made me something different, she just made sure there was something incorporated in the meal that I did like so I at least ate something.

... even to this day I don't like brussel sprouts).. but at least I was getting veggies. She never made a whole different meal for me though.
    Still won't eat Brussel sprouts - they're revolting!

My mum was pretty much the same - I was a notorious "picky" eater but my mum made sure that at least one vegetable was one I would eat - like corn, carrots, peas or green beans. My sister held Thanksgiving dinner at her place one year, she served turkey, cauliflower, squash, broccoli and mashed potatoes - on white plates. Since I only liked the white meat and the mashed potatoes, the plate looked so hideous my aunt went into the kitchen and boiled up some frozen peas in a pot!

My mum did try to force me to eat fish and eggs - by making me sit at the table until the plate was empty, but there was a ledge under the kitchen table that could hold some food, and a hungry cat under there too. That wonderful cat (named Prancer!) ate my fish and eggs. I still don't eat either of them.

vCash
    I was the picky eating child from hell. HELL. I was one of those kids who would starve rather than eating anything I dislike. I honestly feel bad for some parents because although it's rare, this model of child does exist and I was one. My mom is an incredibly healthy eater, a fantastic cook and my brother will eat anything you serve him but she was baffled by my picky eating and to this day doesn't know how she got through it. Every meal was a battle. Honestly, it got to the point where I got made a special meal because I just would not eat. The only things I liked until age 8 or so were: grilled chicken, plantains (the only thing resembling a vegetable that would even touch), eggs, pizza, orange juice (but only with no pulp), meatballs (but not any kind of red meat - not even burgers), lasagna (but not any other kind of pasta), cheese and yogurt. Things I didn't like: all fruits, beans, red meat, fish, spaghetti, salads, hamburgers, hot dogs...the list goes on and on.

However, even though my mom gave in and made me a separate meal, it wasn't junk food. It was eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken and plantains or rice and a sandwich or something else like that for dinner. They still made really good food for themselves and the option for me to eat it was always there. As I grew older, I grew out of my pickiness and now I'll try anything and like a lot of different things. But like I said, my mom was always a great cook, made meals for us and taught us how to eat healthily. And that's clearly not the case in this show.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    One of the best tips I read was in a women's magazine decades ago: in this woman's family, every person (including mom and dad) were allowed to have 3 things that they never had to eat, and the list was posted on the fridge for all to see. She noted that the interesting thing was that as she introduced new foods to her family, they'd change the list and decide that the thing they used to hate wasn't so bad after all.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast