Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Jamie's Food Revolution USA

I watched the first 2 episodes and I can't wait for more! I was shocked that school children do not know what a tomato looks like. They don't even know French Fries were made from potatoes.

vCash
    I was riveted to the TV during the premiere. What an interesting concept, and of course, Jamie Oliver is a rock star!

Even so, as he was trying to help families and schools make healthy choices, it amazed me to see him facing such resistance.

vCash
    He was on AC360 a few days ago talking about his chat with a bunch of school kids and they did not know what a tomato or potato looked like. But they did know french fries! LOL

vCash
    And they knew what ketchup was. They just didn't know it was made from tomatoes (and corn syrup). The ingredients for the "mashed potatoes" were horrifying, and I can't believe they serve neon pink "milk" to the kids. Maybe if the weren't spending money to put sugar and food coloring in the milk, they could afford some real vegetables and real chicken. And the schools are required to provide kids with two servings of bread in addition to the rice?

I was so sad for that 12 year-old boy. I hope he gets healthy. In future episodes, I hope Jamie gives specific examples of how families can serve healthy and delicious foods without spending a lot of money. I think that a lot of people tuning it would love to see that and benefit from it.

vCash
    Kudos to Jamie for doing this, as it's long overdue. We've made small progress in school lunches, but there is a lot more to accomplish. This has gotta help a little bit...

vCash
    I was shocked to see that the kids could not recognize your basic fruits/vegetables. I thought everyone learned that when they learned their ABCs.

I had no idea school lunches or breakfasts (pizza? no way...unless you're in university and it's cold, lol) were that pathetic.

Good on Jamie for taking this on. Hopefully this will catch on and he can make some sort of difference.

I guess I was lucky, growing up in the country and able to have a garden and go food shopping. It really makes you think what some kids are missing out on.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    How about the majority of the kids not knowing how to use a knife and fork?

The whole premise is shocking. You're basically killing the town's children with processed food and someone offers to take offer with a healthy alternative by suggesting to feed them REAL food - and you offer...RESISTANCE??? Are these people CRAZY???

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    A lot of this was staged. I know the principal of the school. They staged a lot of that stuff with the kids. ABC did give the church whose congregation provided a lot of the footage 250K and built them a new fellowship hall with a fantastic kitchen.

It's a good premise, however.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    you mean it wasn't all real reactions? I'm shocked I tell you .... shocked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    I watched the first 2 episodes and I can't wait for more! I was shocked that school children do not know what a tomato looks like. They don't even know French Fries were made from potatoes.
    ITA. I was and wondering where on earth these kids are from. Or maybe my age is showing.

I've always thought that the whole thing about getting kids to eat vegetables was overblown and sensationalized as many things tend to be. I still believe there are plenty of American families who don't live that way but as usual the media focuses on the negative.

This sounds kind of but when I was younger (yep my age is showing) I never heard of anyone not eating any veggies at all. Of course there were always vegetables that people didn't like but in my house growing up and even now I've always eaten a variety of vegetables. We were allowed some snack foods but in moderation. And unlike liv I did not grow up in the country.

I wonder if part of it is the way kids are raised these days. It might not be so much that they hate the vegetables it's that they are testing their parents when they refuse to eat this or that. The parents cave and give them what they want. I've heard of families that cook two or three different meals when they do cook at home because this one does like this and the other doesn't like that.

It was kind of sad in a way to watch.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    A lot of this was staged. I know the principal of the school. They staged a lot of that stuff with the kids. ABC did give the church whose congregation provided a lot of the footage 250K and built them a new fellowship hall with a fantastic kitchen.

It's a good premise, however.
    I'm sure a lot of it was set up and reshot and edited, but I have no doubt the content is real. I for one believe Jamie is an honest person whose intentions are true, and who would not fake the actual content (ie the kids really don't know what a tomato is) - at the same time, this is the network that produces Extreme Makeover, and the program is produced by Ryan Seacrest, so of course they are going for the big emotional moments. And of course certain folks in the town are backpedaling a bit now that the world is seeing them up close and personal.

Banned Member
    vCash
    This has been a passion for many years with Jamie Oliver, to change the eating habits and school menus for children.

Its really a somewhat losing battle, schools don't have enough funding to keep doors open let alone feed the kids!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I've always thought that the whole thing about getting kids to eat vegetables was overblown and sensationalized as many things tend to be. I still believe there are plenty of American families who don't live that way but as usual the media focuses on the negative.
    But a show that focused on the positive would be Jamie Oliver telling cafeteria staff and parents, "you're doing really well!" over and over. It might get boring by the 15th episode.

Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Its really a somewhat losing battle, schools don't have enough funding to keep doors open let alone feed the kids!
    I googled and found this pie chart that over 50% of the U.S.A.'s federal budget goes to the military, while a (small?) portion of the human resources section (at 30%) goes to education. (The human resources section also covers health, housing, labour department, etc.)

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    And they knew what ketchup was. They just didn't know it was made from tomatoes (and corn syrup).
    But don't you know that ketchup is a vegetable? Ronald Reagan must be smiling..
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    A lot of this was staged. I know the principal of the school. They staged a lot of that stuff with the kids.
    I'm sure the dumping of all that fat was staged and maybe the scenes where they are teaching the kids how to use utensils, but what else exactly was staged? The part where they are eating pizza and nuggets and pink milk? The part where most of them choose the processed food over the real food? The part where they don't know what the different vegetables are? (If that was staged, then give those first graders some Emmys.)

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

I googled and found this pie chart that over 50% of the U.S.A.'s federal budget goes to the military, while a (small?) portion of the human resources section (at 30%) goes to education. (The human resources section also covers health, housing, labour department, etc.)

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm
    Interesting, but I hasten to add that 30% funding is from the government for schools and the rest comes from local cities through property taxes. That would be interesting where the pie would be cut with that added funding! Bet its over 50%
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I'm sure the dumping of all that fat was staged and maybe the scenes where they are teaching the kids how to use utensils, but what else exactly was staged? The part where they are eating pizza and nuggets and pink milk? The part where most of them choose the processed food over the real food? The part where they don't know what the different vegetables are? (If that was staged, then give those first graders some Emmys.)
    Umm.....the producer picked foods to be served in the cafeteria is all I'll say.

Kids have no idea what's processed food or not, nor do they care.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Umm.....the producer picked foods to be served in the cafeteria is all I'll say.

They don't know and they don't care what processed food is, but that's what they eat and what they like - because that's what they're given at home and at school.

I was seriously bothered by the lack of fresh food offered in that school cafeteria and in the homes they showed.

vCash
    The food that Jamie was cooking and serving? Like the chicken drumstick? What's so staged about that? I thought that's the point about this show.

vCash
    So, the lunch ladies were just pretending that they ordinarily serve pizza and nuggets and "mashed potatoes?" And Jamie didn't really want to serve real chicken and salad, but the producers insisted? I find that hard to believe. If it's true, then hand Alice (the lunch lady) an Emmy now.

Of course most of them don't know what processed food even means and I didn't say they did, but that's not the point. As I said, most kids love processed food and will choose it over real food. Let a kid choose between milk sweetened with corn syrup and regular milk, and most of them will choose the sweetened stuff. Give them a choice between a Twinkie and an apple, and most of them will choose a Twinkie. Nuggets dunked in sweet sauce or real baked chicken? Nuggets will usually win.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast