Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Story sharing time

Joannie is an unbelievable sweetheart, and all this is not getting to her head at all. She is so genuine and humble and sweet and inspiring, and I love her a billion time more than I did just a day ago. Yesterday she had an autograph signing session at the Eaton Centre in Toronto. They had a similar event last year, but it featured Kurt Browning and Jeff Buttle. I went to it last year, and I arrived about 5 minutes before the event, got in line, chatted with them and got their autographs, and it was great. Yesterday I arrived about an hour ahead of Joannie's scheduled appearance time, and the lineup at that point was about 10 times the amount of people who showed up last year. It basically went around the store and was increasing by the second! I was told that the cut-off of those guaranteed to see Joannie was about 50 people ahead of me But, hopeless dreamer that I am, I decided to give it a chance and I might get to meet her. Apparently even though she was scheduled to appear at 1:30, people started lining up at 9:30!!

Well, long story short, after the cut-off line was surpassed, the lineup kept getting closer and closer to her, and everyone around me had high hopes we might get to see her after all (btw, there were about 300+ people who lined up behind me!!! and they too decided to just wait and hope for the best ) well, she stayed past her schueled time, and was being sooo nice to everyone. I got to see her and tell her what an inspiration she has been to me, not just because of the Olympics, but because of how she's been representing Canadians and the sport of figure skating for the past 6+ years, and she seemed very touched by this. She was soooo nice and smily and polite to me - a random fan - and was paying full attention to me and not distracted by everyone around her. What was really great is that, as I was leaving with my autographed picture, The guy besides her said "Joannie, please we really have to go now. We're already late as it is" and she looked at the hundreds waiting, and looked at him feeling a bit guilty and said "Just a few more. They've been waiting for so long" That about sealed the deal for me. She is a terrific, terrific human being, and really cares about and appreciates her fans. I can't say I'm surprised, but I feel so lucky to have personally experienced that moment myself. No matter how much you like someone and want to believe that they are great, there's always a chance they might not be as kind hearted as you're lead to believe as a fan. She was everything I thought she is and then some.

And ps. she is soooooooooo TINY!!! TV does NOT do her justice AT ALL! I felt like if I shook her hands a little harder I might break them! And her arms always look very bulky and muscular on TV, and they looked so tiny and fragile up cloase! (She was wearing a black sleeveless top) I wonder how skaters like YuNa and Mao are like up close

Allez Joannie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Story sharing time

Joannie is an unbelievable sweetheart, and all this is not getting to her head at all. She is so genuine and humble and sweet and inspiring, and I love her a billion time more than I did just a day ago. Yesterday she had an autograph signing session at the Eaton Centre in Toronto. They had a similar event last year, but it featured Kurt Browning and Jeff Buttle. I went to it last year, and I arrived about 5 minutes before the event, got in line, chatted with them and got their autographs, and it was great. Yesterday I arrived about an hour ahead of Joannie's scheduled appearance time, and the lineup at that point was about 10 times the amount of people who showed up last year. It basically went around the store and was increasing by the second! I was told that the cut-off of those guaranteed to see Joannie was about 50 people ahead of me But, hopeless dreamer that I am, I decided to give it a chance and I might get to meet her. Apparently even though she was scheduled to appear at 1:30, people started lining up at 9:30!!

Well, long story short, after the cut-off line was surpassed, the lineup kept getting closer and closer to her, and everyone around me had high hopes we might get to see her after all (btw, there were about 300+ people who lined up behind me!!! and they too decided to just wait and hope for the best ) well, she stayed past her schueled time, and was being sooo nice to everyone. I got to see her and tell her what an inspiration she has been to me, not just because of the Olympics, but because of how she's been representing Canadians and the sport of figure skating for the past 6+ years, and she seemed very touched by this. She was soooo nice and smily and polite to me - a random fan - and was paying full attention to me and not distracted by everyone around her. What was really great is that, as I was leaving with my autographed picture, The guy besides her said "Joannie, please we really have to go now. We're already late as it is" and she looked at the hundreds waiting, and looked at him feeling a bit guilty and said "Just a few more. They've been waiting for so long" That about sealed the deal for me. She is a terrific, terrific human being, and really cares about and appreciates her fans. I can't say I'm surprised, but I feel so lucky to have personally experienced that moment myself. No matter how much you like someone and want to believe that they are great, there's always a chance they might not be as kind hearted as you're lead to believe as a fan. She was everything I thought she is and then some.

And ps. she is soooooooooo TINY!!! TV does NOT do her justice AT ALL! I felt like if I shook her hands a little harder I might break them! And her arms always look very bulky and muscular on TV, and they looked so tiny and fragile up cloase! (She was wearing a black sleeveless top) I wonder how skaters like YuNa and Mao are like up close

Allez Joannie
    Aw thanks for sharing! I love her even more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Note that Mira Leung also participated in this - photo in the gallery...
    She looks great!

vCash
    My Dad died several years ago. But he was in his 70s, diabetic and obese. So while his death was tragic, it was not that unexpected. I did not know of Therese Rochette's long standing smoking. Even so, we have to grieve with Joannie.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Thought I'd post this article about Joannie in the Heart Truth Fashion Show just because of this fabulous picture of Joannie - one of my faves

Joannie Rochette among celebs promoting heart health awareness
    http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/l...rticle/1006440

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Story sharing time

Allez Joannie
    Aww thanks for the info, she sounds really sweet! And yeah, I'd believe she's tiny. I always thought Miki Ando looked like one of the sturdier skaters on TV but when I met her last year I was so surprised, she was super skinny and petite (and really pretty ). I've heard cameras add 10 pounds, that may be true.

vCash
    Thank you for sharing, MR-FAN! I, too, love Joannie even more after reading this! Je t'adore, Joannie!

having a nice day
    vCash
    Joannie looks FAAAAB, thanks to all for sharing the links to those pictures!

vCash
    There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another. She is such a wonderful ambassador for skating, and Canada. Such a shame it took the situation that happened to make the rest of the world take notice of this lovely woman. Oh, she looks stunning in the red velvet dress.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    red dress looks great on her.

Hope we can make this the new Rochette thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another. She is such a wonderful ambassador for skating, and Canada. Such a shame it took the situation that happened to make the rest of the world take notice of this lovely woman. Oh, she looks stunning in the red velvet dress.
    Exactly. Even though I try to keep my judgments about skating strictly to what a skater does on the ice, I have to admit that I enjoy watching a skater's performance more when I know he or she is just as poised and lovely off the ice. Joannie is definitely one of those skaters.

vCash
    I just had to mention that late Mon. night I checked the Time poll and her ranking was 27, behind Michelle Obama and ahead of Sarah Palin. I kinda particularly enjoyed that latter part.

There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another.
    Ozzisk8tr I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I agree! I'd also put Mirai and Yuna (apart from the Japanese Mao-bots who insist she's ugly and has calculated scores ) on that list as well. Good skaters, nice people, and polite!

vCash
    Here’s something for the mildly eerie coincidences file: Today in the mail I got an acknowledgement of the sympathy card I’d sent to Joannie.
    The weird part - today is the first anniversary of my father’s death.
    It just seemed strange to have gotten that card today of all days. (And nice that such acknowledgements were sent out. Some don’t even do that anymore.)

vCash
    Thanks for posting the article.

Every time I read about Joannie I have nothing but respect for her. She shows great maturity and is very articulate. What a great role model.

The part about her mother's health is very interesting. I think any of us with parents who have health problems due to diet or other preventable factors can relate to that (my Dad had a pacemaker put in). Joannie is very honest about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a spokesperson for anti-smoking and health campaigns. She would be excellent in that kind of role.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a spokesperson for anti-smoking and health campaigns. She would be excellent in that kind of role.
    She now has he rown skating tour for the Heart and Stroke foundation. I guess she's going to be one of their spoke-person.

vCash

Is Stars on Ice using Joannies tradegy?

Anybody getting a bad feeling about the way the US tour of Stars on Ice hired Joannie at the last minute and is now is hyping Joannie for overcoming her tragedy, instead of her outstanding skating, which too conveniently takes attention away from another, oh lets say "flamboyant skater" who wasn't hired on the SOI tour and got lots of media because of it?. Reeks of decoy to me.
    Last edited by NattyDread; 04-13-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NattyDread View Post
    Anybody getting a bad feeling about the way the US tour of Stars on Ice hired Joannie at the last minute and is now is hyping Joannie for overcoming her tragedy, instead of her outstanding skating, which too conveniently takes attention away from another, oh lets say "flamboyant skater" who wasn't hired on the SOI tour and got lots of media because of it?. Reeks of decoy to me.
    I don't think Joannie is anybody's fool. She was quite clear in the article that she takes the opportunities to make a living from her skating. And she is very aware in the level of interest in her story. But she is very sensible too and a realist.

Hate to say it but it is a double-edged sword. She is incredibly marketable at the moment but more so because of her incredible performance at the Olympics under the circumstances. But she damned well deserved that bronze medal. However I wouldn't assume that there is anything malicious behind it. Still the reality is if you ran that tour, your marketing people are instantly going to be looking at the opportunity.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 04-14-2010 at 03:33 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NattyDread View Post
    the way the US tour of Stars on Ice hired Joannie at the last minute ... which too conveniently takes attention away from another, oh lets say "flamboyant skater" who wasn't hired ... Reeks of decoy to me.
    x zillion
    Newsflash: It's not ALWAYS about Johnny.

Joannie's a good skater, popular with the other skaters, and she actually won a medal at the Olympics.

Unfortunately, she only did a few US SOI dates - even though many USers elsewhere would've liked to see her. I guess we should've started a petition and claimed US-SOI discriminates against Canadians or something.

btw chiquita what heart-related fundraising shows are you talking about? There's not a thing out there about that.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Joannie's incredible new exhibition to "My Immortal" by Evanescence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zuM4bDVixY

Mesmerizing. Simple Mesmerizing.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast