Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

New Rochette article

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1515484/

The article talks about Rochette's range of emotions since her mother died and says that her mother was a heavy smoker and fast-food junkie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1515484/

The article talks about Rochette's range of emotions since her mother died and says that her mother was a heavy smoker and fast-food junkie.
    Thank you for this. I did not know that her mom was in such ill health before the heart attack. I hope her dad has someone at home with him, since Joannie is not there.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    The article refers to her boyfriend as a "former figure skater" - does this mean Chong and Gfeller aren't skating together anymore?

vCash
    Amazing quote:

“You know, in skating you wear a nice costume, makeup, you get your hair done, you go out there with a little smile and you fall on your bum. You're all alone,” she says.

“If a hockey player falls, they get up, no big deal. For us, we're so easy to make fun of. You learn to get tough, and to have a shell around you and not care so much about what people say. You learn about yourself, to be your own best friend.”

vCash
    She's a courageous and wise woman. Wishing her all the best as she moves forward.

vCash
    That was wonderful to read. She is an inspiration.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Big hugs for Joannie. Wishing her and her dad the best.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Amazing quote
    She's said a number of things in interviews that have struck me by their thoughtfulness and eloquence. But of the few chats she's done this month, almost all were in French. [And I'm in non-francais-teknik.] So I liked seeing another English one.

Interesting she seems to be aware of a few haterzzz criticisms about public appearances/ interviews. It's a bizarre situation for her.

And I totally relate to that wanting to avoid going to a place (in this case, her parents' home) that now brings up such bad feelings.

vCash
    Joannie is such a beautiful and strong person. I feel for her.

Quote Originally Posted by TalentedButHumble View Post
    And I totally relate to that wanting to avoid going to a place (in this case, her parents' home) that now brings up such bad feelings.
    Me too.

vCash
    Thank you for sharing. I still can't believe what happened to her mother.

Joannie is a true fighter and I believe she'll be ready for next season!

vCash

vCash
    I lost my dad in January and I can understand where she is coming from. The skating and shows etc are a comfort and necessary distraction right now. I threw myself back into work right away too. Everyone deals with it differently, she hasn't come to terms with it yet but she'll figure it out. Her dad likely has a support system back home as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I lost my dad in January and I can understand where she is coming from. The skating and shows etc are a comfort and necessary distraction right now. I threw myself back into work right away too. Everyone deals with it differently, she hasn't come to terms with it yet but she'll figure it out. Her dad likely has a support system back home as well.
    I really hope so. The article says that her dad is retired, so it must be so lonely for him

I also hope that all the distractions are good for Joannie. For some people, they are the best way to help grieve. For others, they only serve to suppress the pain that will eventually come out full force. Everyone grieves differently and benefits from different things.

Judy, my deepest condolences to you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Exactly. Skating is her job. Any non-celeb in her situation would be expected to go back to work after the funeral and grieve on their own time. I don't know what her detractors are bitching about.

Anyway, she's awesome and that's a fabulous article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reen View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Is Joannie thinking of retirement?

Judy, I'm sorry for your loss.

vCash
    Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. Although, it makes me very sad to hear of her mom's declining health and to imagine the stress that it must have placed on their relationship. My mom was a smoker while I was growing up and I have had those fights. Joannie's twitter this past week said she was going skiing for the first time, taking lessons. I thought to myself - skiing, now? And then realized that she probably needs something new, something to make her feel alive, some distraction from the terrible grief she must be feeling. My heart breaks for her mom because it must have been a lonely and difficult time for her, these past few years. And also for her father, who is now left to deal with his grief alone in their home. It is a very sad situation.

Looking forward to seeing Joannie at Stars on Ice. No doubt the crowds will envelope her in their affection and she needs that right now.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Interview on e-talk Canada -- talks about finding notes in her mom's purse that list the symptoms she'd been feeling before her heart attack. She'll be participating in the Heart Truthfashion show in TO on Wednesday (March 31). Gorgeous red dress she'll be wearing!!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Update in USA Today on winter Olympians includes a section on Joannie, as well as a small section on Evan.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    CSOI’s tweeted some pics, etc. of JoRo events. http://twitter.com/searsstarsonice and http://twitpic.com/photos/searsstarsonice

Oh, ETA:
    http://www.torontosun.com/life/tofas...26136-qmi.html
    Looks fab. (Red's my fave color anyway, and love the hair.)
    Last edited by TalentedButHumble; 03-31-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentedButHumble View Post
    Oh, ETA:
    http://www.torontosun.com/life/tofas...26136-qmi.html
    Looks fab. (Red's my fave color anyway, and love the hair.)

Note that Mira Leung also participated in this - photo in the gallery...
    Can't skate but love to watch

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast