Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash

Lake Arrowhead connection

The original information was that Frank would teach a summer class at Toyota and then move to Lake Arrowhead until the new facility at Catherdral City is completed this fall. That's what triggered the comments about commuting to Lake Arrowhead. Even though the announcement said the new facility would open this fall, we all know how construction can bog down and then that opens the possibility of Frank staying at Lake Arrowhead much longer than a few months (maybe even through the winter).

vCash
    someone should buy a plane for mirai or make one available for her use---problem solved
    lmao

vCash
    Mirai's twitter:
    "I really like current coach and wish that people wouldn't assume I'm going to get new one"

So, I think, she knows how to solve this problem?..

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    The original information was that Frank would teach a summer class at Toyota and then move to Lake Arrowhead until the new facility at Catherdral City is completed this fall. That's what triggered the comments about commuting to Lake Arrowhead. Even though the announcement said the new facility would open this fall, we all know how construction can bog down and then that opens the possibility of Frank staying at Lake Arrowhead much longer than a few months (maybe even through the winter).
    Ah.

Still, there's the cabin thing. What did Michelle do while training at Lake Arrowhead? Didn't she start when she was even younger than Mirai?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    someone should buy a plane for mirai or make one available for her use---problem solved
    lmao
    I guess if somebody was actually going to do that, they would also have to provide a pilot to be at her disposal.

Money. money, money...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Ah.

Still, there's the cabin thing. What did Michelle do while training at Lake Arrowhead? Didn't she start when she was even younger than Mirai?
    Michelle (and her sister Karen) lived at Lake Arrowhead back in the day (in one of those cabins). Her father was the one who commuted from there.

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    Small world, my niece was enrolled at Connections a couple years ago. For a variety of reasons she didn't continue but the family who introduced us to Connections have had both of their children enrolled for several years. The nice thing about Connections is that you can work through a lot of your course material as quickly or as slowly as you want each semester. Plus, you can also make special arrangements to have courses assigned during the summer (at least that's how it was two years ago, but I think they were planning on adding a regular summer school/semester last summer). It is entirely conceivable to me that Mirai could already be far enough ahead in her credits to graduate a semester early. I have no idea whether or not that's the case but it's completely within the realm of possibility, even if she's not a book-ish type by nature she's still driven and motivated which is really what gets a person successfully through online schooling. I wouldn't be too worried about the school aspect of the move to Palm Springs. The rest of it... Well, I'd rather she move out to Palm Springs and live than make that sort of commute every day or even several times a week.

vCash
    From what I understand Frank will stop teaching at Toyota at the end of this week and will be in Lake Arrowhead until the summer where he will teach Summer of Excellence program, after which he'll either return to Lake Arrowhead until the new rink is ready, or go straight there if it is ready (unlikely IMHO- building permits and the like take AGES to get in California).

The rink definitely has cabins for skaters to stay, I just don't think Mirai would want to do that because of her mom's treatments. I also doubt her mom would go with her because there's not much in the way of expert medical facilities out there.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. Lake Arrowhead sure is great this time of year though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    From what I understand Frank will stop teaching at Toyota at the end of this week and will be in Lake Arrowhead until the summer where he will teach Summer of Excellence program, after which he'll either return to Lake Arrowhead until the new rink is ready, or go straight there if it is ready (unlikely IMHO- building permits and the like take AGES to get in California).

The rink definitely has cabins for skaters to stay, I just don't think Mirai would want to do that because of her mom's treatments. I also doubt her mom would go with her because there's not much in the way of expert medical facilities out there.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. Lake Arrowhead sure is great this time of year though.

I think Mirai will be all over the country performing in SOI for the rest of April, so I guess she'll figure out what the plan is when she returns home in May.

vCash
    Nagasu has worked previously with Lori Nichol on choreographing programs in May. She is currently scheduled for all the Stars on Ice shows in April, plus 2 L.A. area shows in late May.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    From what I understand Frank will stop teaching at Toyota at the end of this week and will be in Lake Arrowhead until the summer where he will teach Summer of Excellence program,
    Yes, and the Summer of Excellence program dates at Toyota (in El Segundo) are June 14-July 30, 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnM View Post
    I live about 30 miles from Lake Arrowhead and it is still a PITA hour-long drive. I can't imagine anyone wanting to commute there from Arcadia everyday. The last stretch of the drive involves a two-lane winding road, prone to dense fog, ice & snow during the winter.
    My thoughts exactly. There is no way Mirai's parents would let her drive that scary winding mountain road with those crazy drivers that careen around the turns on their way down and nearly run you off the mountain! Add the occasional 60mph winds/snow/fog/rain and there's absolutely no way. My guess is that she would room with another skater training at Lake Arrowhead and come home on weekends. As for Cathedral City, I think that's something that may or may not even happen, so she'll just cross that bridge when she gets to it. . .

vCash
    Local TV news article: New Skating Rink Planned for Cathedral City
    Cathedral City leaders confirmed Wednesday that negotiations to turn the old Coca-Cola bottling facility into a regulation size ice rink were finalized. The new Desert Ice Castle is tentatively scheduled to open in October 2010.

Allen Howe, Communications officer for Cathedral City, said Lake Arrowhead developer Anthony Liu had expressed interest in buying a location in the Valley since last October. Liu, who is also a figure skating coach, currently owns Ice Castle International Training Center in Lake Arrowhead.

vCash
    Reminders of Anthony Liu, skater:

2000 Worlds SP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HrppE5DvZg

2001 NHK Trophy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH9oknkmw6Y

2002 Olympics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaGBauO4Tds

I'm glad that he has been able to keep his former traning site "alive", and is developing this project.

vCash
    It seems a bit difficult to imagine they would be able of building a rink out there in such a short period of time. Building permits alone take ages. But good luck to Anthony in opening the new rink.

vCash
    Has Frank's new rink been completed?
    I thought the new date was January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    Has Frank's new rink been completed?
    I thought the new date was January.
    Not yet, Frank said in his recent interview that it'll open in March. He'll be the CEO of the rink.

vCash
    I recently read an online article that mentioned March(?) 2011 as the latest date for the rink to open. Let me go see if I can find a link...

Here it is (on page 2): http://www.mydesert.com/article/2011...kating-tragedy
    Carroll, now 72, lives in Palm Springs, and he soon will make an area most renowned for tennis and golf famous for skating as well. He is the CEO of Desert Ice Skating Group, and he plans to coach skaters at the Desert Ice Castle, which is scheduled to open in March in Cathedral City.

Quadless
    vCash
    Which other coaches will be moving with him to Palm Springs?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I wouldn't think Mirai would need him every day for practice. She's not a novice skater. They can decide what they want her to work on, even if it's off ice, and she can meet with him maybe weekly if need be until it gets closer to comps.
    I think so too. Evan described his training with Carroll as four 20 minute lessons a week. They can work around that. According to the Summer of Excellence ad the other coaches are staying put at TSC. Besides Carroll may not be around for Sochi. Laws didn't want to go to Vancouver with Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Laws didn't want to go to Vancouver with Chan.
    I thought Laws did want to go to Vancouver with Chan. But Chan sort of blew him off so Laws dumped him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figure...ory?id=4809734

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast