Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 152
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Close to Normal, IL
    Posts
    1,658
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh my, all this talk about Mirai's current and possible future commute is giving me bad flashbacks of when my family lived in Southern California two years ago. We lived in the Riverside area, but our church was in Culver City. We'd have to drive an hour and a half there and back, and it was brutal. And we only did it once a week! I can't IMAGINE someone doing that kind of drive every single day. And we weren't even as far east as Palm Springs; that was an additional 45 minutes.

    I'd feel deeply for Mirai if she had to do any kind of commute like that. The freeways out there are brutal.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,634
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Riverside to Culver City?! I'd kill something after doing that drive twice.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Oh my, all this talk about Mirai's current and possible future commute is giving me bad flashbacks of when my family lived in Southern California two years ago. We lived in the Riverside area, but our church was in Culver City. We'd have to drive an hour and a half there and back, and it was brutal. And we only did it once a week! I can't IMAGINE someone doing that kind of drive every single day. And we weren't even as far east as Palm Springs; that was an additional 45 minutes.

    I'd feel deeply for Mirai if she had to do any kind of commute like that. The freeways out there are brutal.
    I know someone here at another department who does a 1.5-hr commute every day. Yeah, I know yards and big houses are nice, but not THAT nice!

    It's not necessarily the freeways themselves that are brutal (or maybe that's just me since I'm used to driving them ), it's the sitting-in-gridlock-why-am-I-wasting-so-many-hours-of-my-life-for-this part that's the most frustrating for me. I suppose if Mirai had another person driving, she'd be able to do homework or something at least a little more engaging than staring at the car in front of you.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12
    I don't know what Frank was thinking in that interview with Hersh, regarding the equal distance between Arcadia/El Segundo and Arcadia/Cathedral City. The 10 freeway is a nightmare anytime of day out in that area, thanks to all the overbuilding going on in San Bernardino and Riverside counties. Not to mention the fun of driving through the blazing hot desert, and I hope that the Nagasus have a solid car that can handle that rough drive. Finally, at least when one commutes from Arcadia to El Segundo there are a number of routes to choose from, including surface streets and the Metrolink. There is only one route out to the desert.

    I would guess that if Mirai does indeed have a sponsor, arrangements will be made for her and her mom to live out there. There are excellent medical facilities nearby for her mom, including Loma Linda University Medical Center.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by annierachel View Post
    Phil Hersh's latest blog describes a conversation with Carroll concerning Mirai:

    '"From where she lives, it takes about the same time to get to Cathedral City as it does to (Toyota),'' Carroll said.'
    Does he really have a second home in Palm Springs? He sounds like someone who never goes east of La Cienega!

  6. #66
    Zamboni Zombie
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In a happy archivist void!
    Posts
    1,642
    vCash
    402
    Rep Power
    3503
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    64.3 miles per Google maps. Lake Arrowhead is east of Arcadia..it's also up in the mountains above San Bernardino...so it can be an interesting drive during rain/snow storms.
    Interesting is an interesting choice of adjective for a drive that scares the bejeezus out of me in the wintertime. My in-laws have a house in Lake Arrowhead and they like to have Thanksgiving or Christmas there. The novelty has worn off, though several years ago I had the marvelous opportunity of skating an 8am freestyle session at Ice Castle.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by annierachel View Post
    Phil Hersh's latest blog describes a conversation with Carroll concerning Mirai:

    '"From where she lives, it takes about the same time to get to Cathedral City as it does to (Toyota),'' Carroll said.'

    The blog also contains a quote from Evan indicating that if he does continue, Carroll's move is not a problem.
    Frank's lived in the area long enough to know better than to say that it takes "about the same time". Arcadia to Palm Springs is 100 miles. The 10 is nasty just about any time of day, except maybe 3pm which is likely to be a time when Mirai is on the ice, not on the road.

    Arcadia to El Segundo is a measly 35 miles, which you can easily access by shooting straight down the 110 freeway. It's rarely crowded going in that direction except passing through downtown at 5pm but even so, it doesn't take the 2 and a half hours that it would to drive 100 miles on the 10.

    Good thing winter has passed and the new rink will be open before the next snow season. You coudn't pay me to strap on the chains and drive down that mountain in snowy conditions. No way. With that said, Frank should just stay at Lake Arrowhead...it's way nicer than Palm Springs and that rink hasn't had anything going for itself in quite a while.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1872
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    The 10 is nasty just about any time of day, except maybe 3pm which is likely to be a time when Mirai is on the ice, not on the road.
    What about 4:30am? Most of our skaters start (on the ice) by 5:30am.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    443
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    What about 4:30am? Most of our skaters start (on the ice) by 5:30am.
    I think it's impossible to commute to Cathedral City from Arcadia on daily basis no matter what time of the day you drive. Besides, Frank doesn't teach in early morning sessions.

    Mirai works (worked?) with Ken Congemi when Frank isn't available, so she may still work with Ken @ Toyota, and goes to see Frank once or twice a week. She usually works with Frank from Tuesday to Friday since Frank spends almost every weekend in Palm Springs where his home is.

    Toyota Center just gave her a lifetime free pass to their facility, so I hope she can still train there.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    I'm turning what????
    Age
    43
    Posts
    9,296
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    328
    Cathedral City is far, but from Arcadia, Mirai would not hit the worst traffic on the 10. She would take the 210 to the 57, which is fairly east of downtown LA. I still think, timewise, Arcadia to Cathedral City in light traffic would be equivalent to Arcadia to El Segundo in traffic. Even with early morning training, when the trip to El Segundo is bad, if Mirai were trying to get back to Arcadia at any time between 7 and 9 am, she would be facing a regular 1.5-2 hour drive.

  11. #71
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17204

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If Kwan's family could make it work with two girls in elite skating, I'm sure Mirai's family will find a way. The Coachella Valley is really cheap for just about everything compared to LA, and once she has her drivers license it should be no big deal. I suspect her mother's cancer may influence some of this, but hopefully it was caught early.

    Mirai is able to make a lot of money now, given her higher Q factor after the Olympics. She would have been better off with a Worlds medal, so she will need to deliver in the 2010-2011 season. But overall, her stock is way, way up. The US and global press are continuously hungering for the "the next one" from the US. It also sounds like Cathedral City will not be done for another year or so, so she has time.

    Regarding the White Party, it has been a big to do in Palm Springs for decades, as has the Dinah. The one-two punch in the desert in the spring for the GLBT gang and our friends.

    Dinah (just finished):
    http://www.thedinah.com/

    WP2010:
    http://www.jeffreysanker.com/

  13. #73
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    youtu.be/WIlPbe8n3fo
    Posts
    13,280
    vCash
    110913
    Rep Power
    44612
    at the thought of our statesmanlike Frank attending a white party

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sochi voids
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    at the thought of our statesmanlike Frank attending a white party
    Well....

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    at FSU
    Posts
    3,923
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2790
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    at the thought of our statesmanlike Frank attending a white party
    Oh my, the mind boggles when you think of how many of the people dress "appropriately" at a White Party. How would Frank dress?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.


  16. #76

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1872
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    at the thought of our statesmanlike Frank attending a white party
    You guys laugh all you want. Remember! Frank was a beef cake in those cheesy beach blanket Babylon movies back in the days. He was working in Hollywood before his career as a skating coach!

    Seriously, Frank grew up with Hollywood star Tab Hunter and World Champion Ronnie Robertson. All of them took skating lessons from Maribel Vinson Owen. Thus the Hollywood connection.

    Here is a pix of Tab, Ronnie and Maribel at the skating rink.

    http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/904/tabhunter2.jpg

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    38
    Posts
    415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    64.3 miles per Google maps. Lake Arrowhead is east of Arcadia..it's also up in the mountains above San Bernardino...so it can be an interesting drive during rain/snow storms.
    I live about 30 miles from Lake Arrowhead and it is still a PITA hour-long drive. I can't imagine anyone wanting to commute there from Arcadia everyday. The last stretch of the drive involves a two-lane winding road, prone to dense fog, ice & snow during the winter.

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    38
    Posts
    415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Cathedral City is far, but from Arcadia, Mirai would not hit the worst traffic on the 10. She would take the 210 to the 57, which is fairly east of downtown LA. I still think, timewise, Arcadia to Cathedral City in light traffic would be equivalent to Arcadia to El Segundo in traffic. Even with early morning training, when the trip to El Segundo is bad, if Mirai were trying to get back to Arcadia at any time between 7 and 9 am, she would be facing a regular 1.5-2 hour drive.
    She'd still hit pretty bad traffic on the 10, in the IE, just past Redlands through Calimesa. I've done that drive several times and it gets really bogged down.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Traffic issues aside, I don't know too many parents (especially not Asian parents who without meaning to stereotype do tend to be on the protective side) who would want their newly licensed, inexperienced-at-driving daughter driving 98 miles *each way* on a busy California freeway. The 10 is full of accidents every day, there are loads of large trucks since it is a popular trading route...you just don't throw a 16 year old new driver in those types of driving circumstances for 100 miles each way. Neither on a daily nor on a weekly basis.

    The drive up the mountain is also best left to people who are experienced drivers, it gets very windy and people speed /tailgate pretty bad in that 2-lane stretch. Trucks are also aplenty.

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Traffic issues aside, I don't know too many parents (especially not Asian parents who without meaning to stereotype do tend to be on the protective side) who would want their newly licensed, inexperienced-at-driving daughter driving 98 miles *each way* on a busy California freeway. The 10 is full of accidents every day, there are loads of large trucks since it is a popular trading route...you just don't throw a 16 year old new driver in those types of driving circumstances for 100 miles each way. Neither on a daily nor on a weekly basis.

    The drive up the mountain is also best left to people who are experienced drivers, it gets very windy and people speed /tailgate pretty bad in that 2-lane stretch. Trucks are also aplenty.
    I remember going to Lake Arrowhead on a retreat once. Yeah, the drive is pretty scary. I wasn't even driving, but I got carsick on the way down. I could probably handle the drive now, but I definitely would not recommend it for a just-licensed driver. As a figure skater, she might be able to handle it a little better than most, since you do have to be alert to your surroundings and have fast reflexes and be able to hold your ground when need be. All traits that figure skaters have to have.

    Lake Arrowhead definitely have cabins where skaters can stay if they're there long-term. I HIGHLY doubt Michelle Kwan was making the trip from Lake Arrowhead to Torrance every day. Mirai is also taking classes online, so she wouldn't even have to commute all that often if she didn't want to.

    But why were we talking about Lake Arrowhead again? I thought Frank was moving to Palm Springs. I don't think there's any mountain driving there, although you do have to take the 10 forever.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •