Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    It's not like Mirai did not already have a significant commute to training. Mirai's family lives in the San Gabriel Valley, which is east of Los Angeles. To get to El Segundo, she probably has a 40-minute to an hour drive in good traffic conditions. Her high school is 40 miles away from El Segundo. In bad traffic, that drive would probably take her 2 hours.

Palm Springs is about 100 miles away. Farther, but for the most part, she probably would not face much traffic. I'm not sure that is something she would want to do long term, but Miari's long-term plans will probably depend on whether she wants to go to college right away. It seems to me that this is the best time for Frank to make a move. It's the beginning of a new Olympic cycle, so skaters have time to make a move and plan for the next four years.
    This is a fair point. I could see Mirai potentially living out in Palm Springs during the week and then she could visit her family on the weekends. She is old enough to get her licsence now and she could get her hours done over the summer when she doesn't have school. Then she could just make the drive home whenever she wants to see her parents, a 2 hour drive is not a big deal once a week. As for going to and from Lake Arrowhead, that would be a pain but if it's just temporary I think it's doable, especially if Mirai gets her liscence soon and would be the one doing the driving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    but I never found it to be a hotbed of activity of great interest to twenty-somethings... Hot, hot, hot.
    That depends... Palm Springs is also a hot bed for *ahem* white parties for the 'boys'. Your ending statement "hot, hot, hot" is right about those white parties!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    ... those white parties!
    What's a white party?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    This is a fair point. I could see Mirai potentially living out in Palm Springs during the week and then she could visit her family on the weekends. She is old enough to get her licsence now and she could get her hours done over the summer when she doesn't have school. Then she could just make the drive home whenever she wants to see her parents, a 2 hour drive is not a big deal once a week. As for going to and from Lake Arrowhead, that would be a pain but if it's just temporary I think it's doable, especially if Mirai gets her liscence soon and would be the one doing the driving.
    Unless her parents are like mine and didn't want me driving on freeways (let alone LA freeways) for the first like, 2 years of me having my license. Or really, ever, since my dad still tells me to avoid freeway driving. I just ignore him because I know I'm good at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Unless her parents are like mine and didn't want me driving on freeways (let alone LA freeways) for the first like, 2 years of me having my license. Or really, ever, since my dad still tells me to avoid freeway driving. I just ignore him because I know I'm good at it.
    And there is also the fact that she is not even 17 yet? Where would she live? The more important question may be with whom would she live? Many parents would not let their 17 year old, still in high school kid live alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    And there is also the fact that she is not even 17 yet? Where would she live? The more important question may be with whom would she live? Many parents would not let their 17 year old, still in high school kid live alone.
    A lot of kids are 17 when they go to college. If she could find a friend from skating to share an apartment with she could do that. If she's coming home every weekend to see her parents I don't see it being a huge issue so long as Mirai is comfortable with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    What's a white party?
    Wiki to the rescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Party

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    Live and learn.

Palm Springs was a significant center for older gay men years ago, but I guess that's changed. (We used to visit the rather more downscale but nearby Desert Hot Springs, which during the winter seemed to be a significant center for old Jewish people who'd emigrated from Europe during and after WWII.)

vCash
    Palm Springs initially grew as a retirement center for snowbirds from the east coast and midwest (more the midwest, actually, since east coast residents often went to Florida). It had a very large Jewish and Italian population, and had winter residences for a lot of celebrities. In the late 1980s-1990s, the city began to die. People with families moved to other surrounding areas and many of the original retirees began to pass away.

On top of that ,the city also became a spring break mecca for college and high school students, which offended the relatively conservative residents. To get rid of the spring break problem, someone on the City Council came up with the idea to actively court members of the LGBT to come to Palm Springs. No, you're not misreading that. They figured if the gays were in the city, drunk students would not come. So now you know one group that Republican conservatives like less than gays.

In any event, the plan worked. Palm Springs is no longer spring break central. However, it now has one of the highest gay-to-straight ratios in the country.

vCash
    Interesting facts reckless...

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but i was always of the opinion that Frank was married? Not that he comes across as the straightest guy on the block at all, but I thought I remember him missing a competition in the 1990s and the commentators mentioning that his wife was ill or something....??

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateElectric View Post
    Interesting facts reckless...

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but i was always of the opinion that Frank was married? Not that he comes across as the straightest guy on the block at all, but I thought I remember him missing a competition in the 1990s and the commentators mentioning that his wife was ill or something....??
    You sure that you're not confusing him with Richard Callaghan, who is/was married?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    You sure that you're not confusing him with Richard Callaghan, who is/was married?
    I think your confusing him with Peter Burrows, whose wife was ill while he was coaching Ina/Dungjen. Peter already had almost a full head of white hair, so maybe thats where the confusion comes from. I remember Terry Gannon and Dick Button sending a hello to his wife whom was not feeling well and sent her "Greetings from Edmonton" (site of 1996 Worlds). She passed away sometime before 1997 Worlds because I remember again Terry and Dick alluding to the rough year Ina/Dungjen/Burrows/Gelderman had had and they referenced the death of Burrows' wife after a long illness. Peter then married Katherine Healy and they remain married today still I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am surprised he is still making changes. With his accomplishments in the past and then this season I thought he might think about retirement or seriously cutting back coaching.

Looks like Nagasu is going to have to consider whether she wants to dedicate herself to full time exlcusive training the way Kwan did and put college on hold.
    Nagasu is a jr in high school, and does school online. So, school issues aside, at least for the coming year, it looks to be a family decision if she commutes from Arcadia or relocates to Arrowhead this summer and then to the Palm Springs area if she stays with Carroll.

vCash
    Phil Hersh's latest blog describes a conversation with Carroll concerning Mirai:

'"From where she lives, it takes about the same time to get to Cathedral City as it does to (Toyota),'' Carroll said.'

The blog also contains a quote from Evan indicating that if he does continue, Carroll's move is not a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    And what about school? Will Mirai be doing this trip back and forth everyday? It will be exhausting.
    You really, just wouldn't do that. The traffic on that particular stretch can be brutal. It took my friend 3 hours to go 40 of the 70 or so miles from PS to Ontario a couple of weeks ago. I think you would really lose your mind.

Of course, if you live in LA, your mind is already in question
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by annierachel View Post
    The blog also contains a quote from Evan indicating that if he does continue, Carroll's move is not a problem.
    I'm glad to hear that.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    You really, just wouldn't do that. The traffic on that particular stretch can be brutal. It took my friend 3 hours to go 40 of the 70 or so miles from PS to Ontario a couple of weeks ago. I think you would really lose your mind.

Of course, if you live in LA, your mind is already in question
    Yeah, the 10 is just a terrible, terrible freeway at certain times in the day, if you're going with rush hour traffic. Actually, most LA freeways are pretty terrible in that regard. When you're going against rush hour traffic or during off-hours, it's usually smooth sailing. Sane people, like everyone I work with, do the latter. Say no to 1.5-hr commutes!

And my mind is perfectly unquestionable. I love the weather.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    I know they've lived there quite a while, but I wouldn't feel like skating, schooling, or doing anything else that required effort after sitting in LA traffic breathing that air for hours.

I always see weird advertisements about sex resorts and stuff like that coming out of Palm Springs. I always think of people looking like lobsters covered in leather prancing around pools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I thought they said in 2 years? I'm confused. But how far is Lake Arrowhead from Arcadia, anyone know?
    64.3 miles per Google maps. Lake Arrowhead is east of Arcadia..it's also up in the mountains above San Bernardino...so it can be an interesting drive during rain/snow storms.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Palm Springs initially grew as a retirement center for snowbirds from the east coast and midwest (more the midwest, actually, since east coast residents often went to Florida). It had a very large Jewish and Italian population, and had winter residences for a lot of celebrities. In the late 1980s-1990s, the city began to die. People with families moved to other surrounding areas and many of the original retirees began to pass away.

On top of that ,the city also became a spring break mecca for college and high school students, which offended the relatively conservative residents. To get rid of the spring break problem, someone on the City Council came up with the idea to actively court members of the LGBT to come to Palm Springs. No, you're not misreading that. They figured if the gays were in the city, drunk students would not come. So now you know one group that Republican conservatives like less than gays.

In any event, the plan worked. Palm Springs is no longer spring break central. However, it now has one of the highest gay-to-straight ratios in the country.
    It has some great art deco architecture (mainly from the 60's heyday) and has undergone a remarkable rebuild in the past few years...still has some way to go, but it's really a quite nice town.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast