Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    And what about school? Will Mirai be doing this trip back and forth everyday? It will be exhausting.
    I thought she did on-line school? If not, she certainly could. She's already said that she's not especially school-oriented.

vCash
    I'll be surprised if the rink opens as scheduled. Does Frank have any family---brothers, sisters, etc?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I thought she did on-line school? If not, she certainly could. She's already said that she's not especially school-oriented.
    She does school online through connections academy so I don't think moving would be a huge issue for her. She seems pretty self sufficient, and it wouldn't be for a couple years anyways. She's turning 17 in two weeks so by the time the rink opens she'll be 19 and would likely be fine living by herself, she might even like getting away. I think she plans on taking a few years off after she graduates before going to college, and seems to be interested in art and fashion, so she might end up at an art or design school anyways, and realistically that may not happen until after the 2014 Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Oh, I didn't know that.

vCash
    Oh, I didn't know that.
    Just started this year when she switched to the rink that was farther away. Last year apparently she rarely got enough sleep because she was up so late doing homework all the time.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Does Mirai graduate high school this year or next?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Just started this year when she switched to the rink that was farther away. Last year apparently she rarely got enough sleep because she was up so late doing homework all the time.
    Aw, poor girl.

Being a figure skater and a high school student must be so hard.
    Last edited by MikiAndoFan#1; 03-29-2010 at 04:56 PM.

vCash
    Aw, poor girl.

Being a figure skater and a high school student must be so hard.
    Unless you are Rachel Flatt!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Does Mirai graduate high school this year or next?
    Next year. She's a junior, the class of 2011. Her birthday is in a few weeks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
    Unless you are Rachel Flatt!!
    That girl can do it all! Will she be taking a year off skating to go to college?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She's turning 17 in two weeks so by the time the rink opens she'll be 19 and would likely be fine living by herself, she might even like getting away.
    The rink opens this fall so she'll still be 17, right?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    The rink opens this fall so she'll still be 17, right?
    I thought they said in 2 years? I'm confused. But how far is Lake Arrowhead from Arcadia, anyone know?

vCash
    Lake Arrowhead is about 50 miles from Arcadia, which means it is doable but the freeway that goes there can be a real pain. It can take a long time in traffic but if she can pick and choose her travel times it might be OK. I sure wouldn't want to do that every day though, traffic or not. She's been going from Arcadia to El Segundo which is awful too so...?

I believe Mirai is still a member at the Pasadena FSC and could possibly get ice time there a couple of days a week if she can practice on her own. That is only a few miles from Arcadia.

vCash
    Lots of skaters move away from home to train. Why couldn't Mirai?

vCash
    Isn't mirai's mom beginning cancer treatment soon? Not the best time to leave home.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    If I am not mistaken, her mother is sick, that might have some influence on whether or not she will move.

ETA: Coco beat me to it.

Quadless
    vCash
    Everyone's talking about Mirai, but what about Evan? I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning to retire from amateur competition, but he hasn't made any such announcement yet.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I do not think that Evan thinks he will get a fair shake in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Everyone's talking about Mirai, but what about Evan? I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning to retire from amateur competition, but he hasn't made any such announcement yet.

I managed to forget about him. Hmmm. He owns a house in LA, doesn't he? Palm Springs is nice for the retired set, but I never found it to be a hotbed of activity of great interest to twenty-somethings. I'd also pay real money to not have to live there anytime between May 1 and Oct. 15th. Hot, hot, hot.

vCash
    It's not like Mirai did not already have a significant commute to training. Mirai's family lives in the San Gabriel Valley, which is east of Los Angeles. To get to El Segundo, she probably has a 40-minute to an hour drive in good traffic conditions. Her high school is 40 miles away from El Segundo. In bad traffic, that drive would probably take her 2 hours.

Palm Springs is about 100 miles away. Farther, but for the most part, she probably would not face much traffic. I'm not sure that is something she would want to do long term, but Miari's long-term plans will probably depend on whether she wants to go to college right away. It seems to me that this is the best time for Frank to make a move. It's the beginning of a new Olympic cycle, so skaters have time to make a move and plan for the next four years.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast