Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Posted by a reliable source at the Toyota Sports Center rink: http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24303
    Frank Carroll announced today [3/27/10] that he will no longer be coaching at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo, CA. A new rink is being built in Cathedral City, CA in San Bernadino County, near Palm Springs. The rink is scheduled to open this autumn. Until the new rink opens he will be coaching in Lake Arrowhead.

Mr. Carroll will be coaching at TSC this summer for the Summer of Excellence Program [June 14-July 30, 2010]. But after that he will be strictly at Lake Arrowhead until the rink in Cathedral City is completed.

vCash
    I guess that means Mirai will be be making a move, too...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Must be a $$$ decision. I wouldn't think Mirai would want to move from her parents?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Must be a $$$ decision. I wouldn't think Mirai would want to move from her parents?
    True, but I just can't picture her leaving Carroll at this point.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    It's not like he's moving to the other side of the country. How many hours drive from one rink to the other is it?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Oh gosh -- not a drive you'd want to do on a daily basis, much less twice a day.

In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash
    It's not like he's moving to the other side of the country. How many hours drive from one rink to the other is it?
    It's about a 2.5 hour drive (give or take) from El Segundo to Cathedral City. Probably wouldn't want to commute on a daily basis, but certainly not a cross-country move by any means. Plus, she'd be around the age of a college freshman by the time the rink opens. She might welcome the move.

vCash
    I am surprised he is still making changes. With his accomplishments in the past and then this season I thought he might think about retirement or seriously cutting back coaching.

Looks like Nagasu is going to have to consider whether she wants to dedicate herself to full time exlcusive training the way Kwan did and put college on hold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I thought he might think about retirement or seriously cutting back coaching.
    Thus the destination Palm Springs. It's a retirement community. Frank probably has lots of friends there already. The average age in Palm Springs is about 70. If you're in your 50s and lives in PS, you're young!

vCash
    Thanks luenatic. Now it makes sense. Nagasu is going to be a baby over there

vCash
    Frank Carroll has owned a home in Palm Springs as far back as the days when he coached Michelle Kwan at Lake Arrowhead; it's been pretty widely reported in the media over the years that it's where he lives. Carroll has always been very private about his private life, but I always kinda figured he has an SO there.

Anyway, now that he's finally got his OOOOO gold medalist, it seems like a good time for him to be thinking about making changes that will put him closer to where he wants to be in retirement. For quite some time he's surely been in a position where he can pick and choose his pupils and how hard he wants to work.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I wouldn't think Mirai would need him every day for practice. She's not a novice skater. They can decide what they want her to work on, even if it's off ice, and she can meet with him maybe weekly if need be until it gets closer to comps.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    Carroll has always been very private about his private life, but I always kinda figured he has an SO there.
    SO?

vCash
    Significant Other =).

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    SO?
    Significant Other. (partner, lover, etc.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    SO?
    Significant other .

vCash
    Heh thanks, I've never seen that abbreviation used before.

vCash
    A little more info, posted by another person affiliated with TSC in El Segundo:
    Beginning April 10, Frank Carroll will no longer be on staff at Toyota Sports Center. He will be back there for the Summer program. Other than that time, he will be working in Lake Arrowhead, which is affiliated with a new desert facility that is scheduled to open in the fall near his home in Palm Springs.
    Nagasu is currently scheduled to perform in all the SOI tour dates in April, followed by 2 southern California stops in late May.

vCash
    And what about school? Will Mirai be doing this trip back and forth everyday? It will be exhausting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I wouldn't think Mirai would need him every day for practice. She's not a novice skater. They can decide what they want her to work on, even if it's off ice, and she can meet with him maybe weekly if need be until it gets closer to comps.
    That was my thought too. Most skaters probably could cut costs by not having lessons every day. There certainly is merit to being able to practice on one's own! If she doesn't want to move, there are ways to work around it.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast