Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

vCash
    I'm not saying that Lindsay is going to make the JGPF (because honestly, I don't think she will). All I was saying is that she definitely has the potential to be top 4 at her event (should she be awarded one), and therefore get assigned a second event.

It's impossible to predict what will happen, but should she skate well, there's no reason to think she won't be rewarded for it.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    But it's still unknown whether or not the "top 4 placement in singles guarantees a 2nd JGP event" policy will be in effect this season (it wasn't last season).

BTW, I've cross-posted/quoted part of oleada's post on the previous page (#120) in the JGP 2010 thread in the Kiss and Cry forum because I liked the summary of new vs. returning international JGP ladies.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-28-2010 at 03:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    But it's still unknown whether or not the "top 4 placement in singles guarantees a 2nd JGP event" policy will be in effect this season (it wasn't last season).
    True, but wasn't that only because there was one spot left and it came down to Baga (who had won her first event) and Gong (who was 4th)? I think that's what the scenario was, but it was so long ago!

I know that Kawamura was 4th at her first event but was then assigned a second event and placed 3rd (thus qualifying her for the JGPF).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    No, the U.S. JGP singles skaters were all informed ahead of time (before the 1st JGP) that a 2nd assignment wasn't going to be tied to a specific placement in their 1st.

Title-less
    vCash
    For the last few years, a girl with no more than 3toe & sals has managed to make the jgpf. It's almost a tradition now. But then Davis has one too many triple to fit th bill, hasn't she.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    For the last few years, a girl with no more than 3toe & sals has managed to make the jgpf. It's almost a tradition now. But then Davis has one too many triple to fit th bill, hasn't she.
    That was before the Russians. Both Polinas, Liza, and Adelina have so much technical content and Anna can be right up with those girls if she skates well, and even when she doesn't, her scores are still good because of high PCS. Sofya, Roza, Kristina aren't the most consistent, but they have all the goods and just need to skate well in order to place highly. Then there's Hae-Jin Kim from Korea who has all her triples and is very consistent, raking up huge scores in novice competitions. Japan also always has some strong girls, there's Kate for Canada, and a lot of US girls in contention who have all the triples, or at least most of them. Maybe the Russian girls will bomb some competitions like they did last season, but if they do skate well, I'm afraid many of the US girls, even skating their best, may get lost in the shuffle. Russian sweep anyone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I wonder if that will happen this year? It seems that a few years ago only the US ladies and a few Japanese had the full set of jumps; now it seems more and more have them. Obviously, you need more than the jumps, but it seems like the international field is getting stronger.

Potential JGP contenders with that are able to do 4 out of the 5 non-axel triples (which is probably incomplete/incorrect because I got tired of looking):

AUT: Miriam Ziegler
    CAN: Kate Charbonneau, Vanessa Grenier
    CHN: Quiying Zhu, Kexin Zhang
    KOR: Hae-jin Kim
    JPN: Yukiko Fujisawa, Ayumi Goto, Karen Kemanai, Shion Kokobun, Yuki Nishino & Kako Tomotaki
    RUS: Polina Agafonova, Sofia Biryukova, Anna Ovcharova, Polina Shelepen, Roza Sheveleva, Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva & Kristina Zaseeva
    SWE: Isabelle Olsson
    USA: Kiri Baga, Samantha Cesario, Christina Gao, Gracie Gold, Yazmin Siraj & Angela Wang
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    ^^This is what I am wondering. The only thing is, if Adelina falls 4 times in her FS at a JGP event like she did at junior nationals, she probably won't win that event unless the field is very lackluster. And as for someone like Liza, at the last Cup of Russia, Roza Sheveleva beat her in the LP because she skated well and Liza had lots of mistakes, and at nationals, Liza fell 2 times in her SP, there she was able to rebound with a stellar FS, but if she falls 2 times in the SP again at a JGP and then her FS isn't as good, she might end up losing to some other skater who isn't as strong.

The thing is, for really strong skaters, they can get away with having a poor program in a competition and still wind up beating skaters who skate well (not the best ones like most you mentioned above). Like for example, at JW Anna bombed her FS, had issues with 6 out of 7 jumping passes, and yet even in the FS her score was higher than skaters like Julia Pfrengle, Joshi Helgesson, and Lena Marrocco who all skated well (for them) and because of her good SP she beat Kate, Kiri, Christina (who all skated pretty well) overall. Last season in the JGP, Angela Maxwell fell twice in both her SPs, but she still won silver at both her events. Kiri won gold at both events but didn't skate very well in either of her LPs, but still finished 2nd in that segment and held on to 1st overall. Ellie Kawamura ended up winning bronze at one of her events despite finishing 5th in the FS. So I'm just curious to see that even if these top girls DO make big mistakes at their JGP competitions, if they will still be able to hold off competitors who don't have all the triples (Davis, Jiang, etc), or if they will still win/medal anyway.

vCash
    The reality though, is that Amanda Dobbs placed 6th at nationals and 4th at 4CC with toes and sals, Sarah Hecken placed 12th at senior worlds with toes and sals, and Laura Lepisto won bronze at senior worlds with 5 out of 7 jumping passes being comprised entirely of doubles. So I guess you never know.

Nina Jiang for 2010 JGPF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    The reality though, is that Amanda Dobbs placed 6th at nationals and 4th at 4CC with toes and sals, Sarah Hecken placed 12th at senior worlds with toes and sals, and Laura Lepisto won bronze at senior worlds with 5 out of 7 jumping passes being comprised entirely of doubles. So I guess you never know.

Nina Jiang for 2010 JGPF
    That won't be possible anymore I think because of the recent changes. As the GOE are smaller, to get the points they will have to go for harder jumps. They won't be able to fill their programs with far too many double Axels, or do a few toe loops and Salchows and hope that through high GOE they may get away with it. They won't.

vCash
    Last edited by pinky166; 06-28-2010 at 11:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    That won't be possible anymore I think because of the recent changes. As the GOE are smaller, to get the points they will have to go for harder jumps. They won't be able to fill their programs with far too many double Axels, or do a few toe loops and Salchows and hope that through high GOE they may get away with it. They won't.
    Oh good point, I didn't think of that. Does this mean that the penalties for edge violations will be lesser as well?
    Also, the rule is now at most 2 double axels in a LP right? So that means the skaters who only have 2 triples will have to have a double jump (not axel) as the final jumping pass, and that will surely hurt those skaters as doubles are worth very little in comparison to triples or even double axels, and the skaters who used to do 2a-2a seq in place of a triple jump won't be able to do that anymore unless the 2a-2a seq is the only jumping pass in the LP containing double axel. Also the removal of the spiral sequence in the SP will hurt the Caroline Zhang's and Sasha Cohen's of the world who rely on huge GOE on spiral sequences to make up for any technical issues they may have.

I'm also curious about the 3loop as the jump out of steps, as it seems to be a jump many skaters have issues with.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567