Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    However, I thought the Agnes Zawadzki article was/is newsworthy and relevant to this thread, and so that's why I posted the link.

vCash
    Regardless of Gomez's history, I thought the Zawadzki article was just fine, and didn't notice anything grossly inaccurate. So maybe he's improving! Thanks for posting, Sylvia.

Title-less
    vCash
    True, the only other error that jumped out at me was his mention of speed, but other than that...

Anyway, nothing in the article implies she's doing gp. It's Gomez not Agnes Z. who raises the possibility.

vCash
    U.S. initial Grand Prix assignments were published today and are as follows:

LADIES (16 slots/9 different skaters assigned):
    2 for Flatt (NHK/SA), Nagasu (CHN/FRA), Wagner (NHK/RUS), Czisny (CAN/FRA), Zhang (NHK/SA), and Agnes Zawadzki (CAN/RUS);
    1 for Amanda Dobbs (CHN), Gilles (CAN), and Kristine Musademba (CHN);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

MEN (12 slots/6 different skaters assigned):
    2 for Abbott (NHK/RUS), Weir (CAN/FRA), Rippon (SA/CAN), Mroz (CHN/FRA), Ross Miner (NHK/CHN); 1 for Carriere (SA);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

PAIRS (11 slots/7 different teams assigned):
    2 for Denney/Barrett (NHK/SA), Evora/Ladwig (CHN/RUS), and McLaughlin/Brubaker (CAN/SA);
    1 for Inoue/Baldwin (NHK), Yankowskas/Coughlin (CHN), Castelli/Shnapir (CAN), and Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller (RUS);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

DANCE (13 slots/7 different teams assigned):
    2 for Davis/White (NHK/SA), Samuelson/Bates (NHK/FRA), Chock/Zuerlein (CAN/FRA), Hubbell/Hubbell (CHN/RUS), Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (NHK/SA);
    1 for Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (CHN) and Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker (CAN);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

ETA: Bolded names above are the skaters making their Senior GP debut.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-14-2010 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    Moved from the Grand Prix Assignments thread in GSD since it's more relevant here:
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If Joelle [Forte] competes for US again she'll likely have to do regionals and sectionals. I think that probably goes for [Ellie] Kawamura and [Angela] Maxwell as well, they could try for JGP, but Maxwell has already done 3 seasons of JGP and Kawamura isn't as strong as a lot of the girls in line being considered for JGP, because likely:

S5 Christina Gao - 2 events
    J2 Yasmin Siraj - 2 events
    J3 Lindsay Davis - 1 event, I don't think she has enough tech earn a second one
    J4 Kiri Baga - 2 events
    J5 Nina Jiang - 1 or 2 events
    S14 Samantha Cesario - 1 or 2 events
    N2 Ashley Cain - 1 or 2 events
    N3 Katarina Kulgeyko - 1 or 2 events

There's 14 spots, so even if all the people I listed as getting 1 or 2 events only get 1, that's 11 spots taken up. The remaining 3 spots could be given to Ellie and Angela, but more likely they would be given to Felicia Zhang (J6) if she's still doing singles and/or Angela Wang (J7). Where Angela didn't compete at nationals and Ellie placed 21st, it doesn't look too good for them.
    Kristiene Gong (S16) is also listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) - she placed 4th in her one JGP assignment last season. Two other JGP age-eligible ladies in the ISP are Vanessa Lam (J8) and Gracie Gold (N4). Other age-eligible ladies who stand out in competition monitoring this summer could also be considered.

I know the USFSA has strict rules like J4 can't get an event before J2, but like S14 can get an event before J5 or N2. It's confusing.
    It has been my observation that USFS' International Committee that selects the JGP and Senior B skaters (ICMS) appears to be weighting senior national results more than junior/novice in recent years, especially when it comes to JGP assignments for the ladies, but nothing is ever "set in stone" because the ICMS also changes personnel from year to year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It has been my observation that USFS' International Committee that selects the JGP and Senior B skaters (ICMS) appears to be weighting senior national results more than junior/novice in recent years, especially when it comes to JGP assignments for the ladies, but nothing is ever "set in stone" because the ICMS also changes personnel from year to year.
    I am always very confused by the JGP picks in the US. I mean, last year Christina and Kiri didn't have initial assignments and they were the junior bronze medalist and novice champion, but skaters like Taylor Firth and Laney Diggs who were 13th and 10th in seniors, and Kristene Gong who was 4th in junior, did get initial assignments. Most of the time, aren't the skaters who medal in junior and novice better than these senior ladies who finish middle of the pack? Even if they are not, I'm confused on how the USFSA comes to the decision of WHICH middle of the pack seniors to send to JGP, as there are a fair number who are young enough to do JGP and won't be getting SGP assignments.

vCash
    I am always very confused by the JGP picks in the US. I mean, last year Christina and Kiri didn't have initial assignments and they were the junior bronze medalist and novice champion, but skaters like Taylor Firth and Laney Diggs who were 13th and 10th in seniors, and Kristene Gong who was 4th in junior, did get initial assignments.
    No, Gong was selected after the initial round, like Gao and Baga were. 5 senior ladies and the top 2 juniors were initially selected for the JGP based on 2009 Nationals results: Angela Maxwell (S8), Laney Diggs (S10), Kristine Musademba (S11), Taylor Firth (S13), Karen Zhou (S19), DeeDee Leng (J1), and Ellie Kawamura (J2). Of this group of 7, Maxwell and Musademba were the only ones with previous JGP experience.

Most of the time, aren't the skaters who medal in junior and novice better than these senior ladies who finish middle of the pack? Even if they are not, I'm confused on how the USFSA comes to the decision of WHICH middle of the pack seniors to send to JGP, as there are a fair number who are young enough to do JGP and won't be getting SGP assignments.
    There doesn't appear to be set criteria for selecting among the Senior/Junior/Novice singles skaters for the JGP. As I mentioned earlier, the ICMS committee has been rewarding more singles skaters that qualify for Nationals at the senior level with international assignments in recent years, even if they've been placing lower in the senior events. I think it's because there is a general consensus that skaters competing at the senior national level are dealing with a higher intensity of pressure in competition. This may also be a way of encouraging more skaters to move up to the senior level nationally if/when they are ready and rewarding longevity.

vCash
    No, Gong was selected after the initial round, like Gao and Baga were. 5 senior ladies and the top 2 juniors were initially selected for the JGP based on 2009 Nationals results: Angela Maxwell (S8), Laney Diggs (S10), Kristine Musademba (S11), Taylor Firth (S13), Karen Zhou (S19), DeeDee Leng (J1), and Ellie Kawamura (J2). Of this group of 7, Maxwell and Musademba were the only ones with previous JGP experience.

There doesn't appear to be set criteria for selecting among the Senior/Junior/Novice singles skaters for the JGP. As I mentioned earlier, the ICMS committee has been rewarding more singles skaters that qualify for Nationals at the senior level with international assignments in recent years, even if they've been placing lower in the senior events. I think it's because there is a consensus that skaters competing at the senior national level are dealing with a higher intensity of pressure and expectations in competition. This may also be a way of encouraging more skaters to move up to the senior level nationally if/when they are ready.
    Oh alright. It's still all a little confusing but I guess the USFS figures that the junior and novice skaters are younger than a lot of the senior skaters and so they have more time to get JGP events in the future. I guess it makes sense, as many of the seniors that go to JGP are 17 or 18 and will only be eligible for a season or two, versus the novice and junior ranks which are full of 13 and 14 year olds who will be age eligible for several years.

I still want Nina Jiang to go this season though , I don't care that she's a baby, she's so lovely to watch.

vCash
    How do the senior B assignments work? Do those come out later? Further, do you have to be assigned or can approved skaters just sign up for them?

vCash
    How do the senior B assignments work? Do those come out later? Further, do you have to be assigned or can approved skaters just sign up for them?
    The ICMS committee determines the Senior B assignments. The decisions usually are made during the course of the summer, and the skaters/teams that are selected/being considered are monitored in competition.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-14-2010 at 10:18 PM.

vCash
    Given the USFS selection pool list- here are the skaters who are likely to be battling it out for the senior B spots (I took out the likely JGP skaters and the GP skaters who already have 2 spots- though that is no guarantee they won't get a senior B either)
    LADIES

Becky Bereswill
    Melissa Bulanhagui
    Samantha Cesario- likely JGP though
    Kristiene Gong
    Ellie Kawamura
    Angela Maxwell
    Kimmie Meissner

Among the above, I think Bulanhagui and Maxwell should receive events outright unless they are really off form or something. I have no idea what is going on with Meissner. Gong and Kawamura will have to show some major improvements since Nationals but that is definitely possible. Bereswill will likely receive one also unless she decides to focus on pairs training rather than travel for an assignment. It will also be interesting to see what happens with Amanda Dobbs and Dobbs/Jacobsen in terms of Senior B and GP spots.

Already with 1 GP event, could get either another GP or a B or both...
    Amanda Dobbs
    Alexe Gilles
    Kristine Musademba

MEN

Stephen Carriere- 1 GP already
    Jonathan Cassar
    Richard Dornbush
    Grant Hochstein
    Alexander Johnson
    Austin Kanallakan
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh
    Parker Pennington
    Dennis Phan
    Douglas Razzano
    Tommy Steenberg
    Jason Wong

Trying to break down this field would give me a headache. Other than Hochstein, this should all be left up to summer comps IMO.

PAIRS

Molly Aaron & Daniyel Cohen
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir- 1 GP
    Amanda Dobbs & Joseph Jacobsen
    Chloe Katz & Joseph Lynch
    Britney Simpson & Nathan Miller- 1 GP
    Erika Smith & Nathan Bartholomay
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin
    Caitlin Yankowskas & John Coughlin- 1 GP
    Felicia Zhang & Taylor Toth

I guess a lot will be left up to Indy here...

DANCE

Isabella Cannuscio & Ian Lorello- 1 GP
    Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
    Rachel Tibbetts & Collin Brubaker- 1 GP

Shib sibs may take a B event too. Not sure who of those junior teams may have aged out already, if any...Lake Placid will sort this out too.....
    Last edited by haribobo; 06-14-2010 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the breakdown, Haribobo!

vCash
    U.S. initial Grand Prix assignments were published today and are as follows:

LADIES (16 slots/9 different skaters assigned):
    2 for Flatt (NHK/SA), Nagasu (CHN/FRA), Wagner (NHK/RUS), Czisny (CAN/FRA), Zhang (NHK/SA), and Agnes Zawadzki (CAN/RUS);
    1 for Amanda Dobbs (CHN), Gilles (CAN), and Kristine Musademba (CHN);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

MEN (12 slots/6 different skaters assigned):
    2 for Abbott (NHK/RUS), Weir (CAN/FRA), Rippon (SA/CAN), Mroz (CHN/FRA), Ross Miner (NHK/CHN); 1 for Carriere (SA);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

PAIRS (11 slots/7 different teams assigned):
    2 for Denney/Barrett (NHK/SA), Evora/Ladwig (CHN/RUS), and McLaughlin/Brubaker (CAN/SA);
    1 for Inoue/Baldwin (NHK), Yankowskas/Coughlin (CHN), Castelli/Shnapir (CAN), and Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller (RUS);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

DANCE (13 slots/7 different teams assigned):
    2 for Davis/White (NHK/SA), Samuelson/Bates (NHK/FRA), Chock/Zuerlein (CAN/FRA), Hubbell/Hubbell (CHN/RUS), Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (NHK/SA);
    1 for Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (CHN) and Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker (CAN);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

ETA: Bolded names above are the skaters making their Senior GP debut.
    I am a bit confused, Britney Simpson just turned 14 in May , how come she can compete on the Senior circuit ? I thought she had to be 15 by the 01.07.2010. Or does this only comply for ISU Championships and not GP ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma View Post
    I am a bit confused, Britney Simpson just turned 14 in May , how come she can compete on the Senior circuit ? I thought she had to be 15 by the 01.07.2010. Or does this only comply for ISU Championships and not GP ?
    14 is still the minimum age for the Senior Grand Prix (and Senior B) events; 15 is for ISU Championships. The age limit proposals didn't pass at the Congress (15 for Senior GP was one of the proposals).

vCash
    It's unfortunate that skaters can really ruin their JGP chances with one bad skate at nationals. Gong finished 4th at her JGP last season, and if she'd been assigned to one of the early ones, it's likely she'd have gotten a second assignment (4th is usually the cutoff). Then she went out and did an absolutely craptacular long program at nationals. If she'd stayed where she was after short (12th) chances are good she'd end up with an early JGP assignment.

vCash
    I think Kristiene Gong has a shot at a JGP. She is on the ISP list and last year USFS gave Karen Zhou one of the initial JGP assignments after placing 19th(!) at senior nationals. As Sylvia mentioned, the international committee appears to give more weight/make concessions to girls who manage to qualify to senior nationals.

Kristiene is a very good skater with the harder triples (does she have the loop?) and especially now that downgrades won't be penalized as harshly as before, could do quite well. Having Frank Carroll as a coach could help her politically, too.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Having Frank Carroll as a coach could help her politically, too.
    That didn't help Lanie Diggs or Bebe...

vCash
    These 5 posts are from page 3-4 of the "U.S. Senior Ladies" thread and are relevant to the ongoing JGP ladies speculation discussion :
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Four of [Angela] Wang's 6 triple jumps were URed in her Nationals [Junior] FS, as well as one of her 2A's, so I'm not sure she "wuzrobbed." She's a great all-around skater, but if she had a weakness/area to work on, it would definitely be the height of her jumps. Hopefully we'll see an improvement in that aspect of her skating this season because I think she deserves to be on the JGP.
    Still. She's much better usually than a lot of the girls who placed ahead of her at nationals, so I'm just hoping the 7th place won't hurt her chances of getting JGP assignments. Plus 3lo is her best jump!
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    I'd imagine Siraj, Davis, Baga, Jiang, and F. Zhang will all be in line before Angela Wang...though its possible Davis and Zhang could forego assignments to focus on pairs or something. Although with Gao, Sam Cesario and maybe Gong and Kawamura along with a novice or two also in the mix....things will be tricky. At least the ladies aren't confined to just a few spots like the men are this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I really hope Kawamura and Gong don't get an assignment over Wang. Wang's younger, and has all the triples; which Kawamura does not. They all have big problems with under-rotation, but Wang outscored both as junior, while Gong and Kawamura competed as seniors.
    Agreed. I'd add Davis too, I know she won junior bronze at nationals but she only has 3 triples (loop, toe, sal) and she often doubles them. Her footwork is really good though. I'm just hoping Wang with her UR issues doesn't turn into the next Caroline Zhang....they even look a bit alike, similar builds and arm movements, and costumes. Angela has some speed though.
    ETA: Stephanie asks if Kristiene Gong has a triple loop. I don't believe she's attempted this jump in competition in the past 2 years, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if she tries one in a summer competition.

mgobluegirl mentioned in her post above that "(4th is usually the cutoff)" for a 2nd JGP, but last season, the JGP skaters were informed ahead of time that there was no specific "cutoff" placement for a 2nd assignment.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-20-2010 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    Moving over these JGP selection comments from the Broadmoor Open thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by her grace View Post
    Zhou's selection last year was inexplicable. Finishing only 19th at Senior nationals with a fall in her short, five jumps downgraded in her long, and a score lower than the third place junior skater shouldn't have merited her an initial assignment. What's worse, she got an initial assignment while eventual JGP finalists Gao and Baga did not.

Hopefully, USFS does a better job selecting skaters this year. I suggest they choose Cesario as the only senior for an initial assignment and give the other initial slots to the deserving junior skaters. Gong and Kawamura could still have a shot at a JGP assignment coming from the alternate list, pending summer monitoring.
    Don't forget Christina Gao as the other senior!

ETA: I agree that it's hard, both then and now, to justify Zhou's initial JGP assignment last year, and believe she should have been monitored in the summer first. I do think that initial JGP selection should continue to be based on most recent Nationals results, but that the remaining assignments definitely should take the skaters' summer competition performances/results (especially significant improvements since Nationals!) into consideration.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.

vCash
    Sylvia, do you know if Felicia Zhang & Ashley Cain are looking to compete as single skaters in the JGP? I imagine Zhang/Toth are on the list for a Skate America spot in pairs; and Cain/Reagan on the list for the JGP, right?

I'd give initial assignments to Gao, Baga, Siraj, Davis and Jiang; then the shortlist for the next assignments would be Zhang, Wang, Gold, Cain & Kulgeyko. I don't know if Jiang & Davis have enough tech to place high enough for a second assignment (for Jiang, I think it's something that will come with time).
    Last edited by oleada; 06-26-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast