Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash

GP/Senior B/JGP assignments for US skaters next season

Any guesses?

I'm curious as to what Carriere or Bebe will get next season.

I'm guessing Maxwell and Musademba won't be getting any.

vCash
    For men its gonna depend a lot whether if Evan, Johnny and Ryan come back next season. I will be very surprised if they do so without taking those three in consideration, and keeping in mind the maximun spots the US could get is 18:

For Sure 2 Spots :
    Abbott - 2 (Top12 at worlds so this is a no brainer).
    Rippon - 2 (ditto as Abbot)
    Mroz - 2 (he's at both top 24 season best and world ranking, a safe bet)

Likely 2 spots :
    Miner - 2 (he's got one in the bag thanks to JGPF and all the top Juniors who move up usually get two)
    Hochstein 2 (highest result at Nationals after the top men, 4th at Jr. Worlds, he'll probably be the 3rd guy at Skate America)

Likely 1 spot, but you never know :

Carriere - 1 : out of both SB and WS lists, poor GP results plus bombed at Nationals, he'll get one only by reputation.
    Mahbanoozadeh - 1 : Same as Carriere, plust he bombed at Jr. Worlds

Dark Horses for 1 spot :

Messing and Dornbush : not big enough names, not high placement at nationals and down to the 30s at Season Best list. Only will get one if none of the top guys are returning. How Old is Messing?? maybe he'll be better going back to Junior Grand Prix.

That would be 14 spots for US Men which is what usually gets. I'll do ladies later.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Summary of season stats for these 6 US guys:

Miner - 1st in JGP Lake Placid; 2nd in JGP Croatia; 3rd at JGP Final (#35 SB score of 196.09); WD from Nationals (would have been Sr. debut) & Jr. Worlds due to injury

Hochstein - 2nd in JGP Hungary; 4th in JGP Germany; 5th at JGP Final; 7th at Nationals (Sr. debut); 5th at Jr. Worlds (#38 SB score of 194.30)

Mahbanoozadeh - 11th at Cup of China; 9th at Skate Canada (#42 SB Sr. score of 186.48); 8th at Nationals (Sr. debut); 10th at Jr. Worlds

Messing - 6th in JGP Poland (skated with an injury); 9th at Nationals (Sr. debut); 4th at Jr. Worlds (#34 SB score of 197.03); one more year of ISU junior eligibility in 2010-11

Dornbush - 1st in JGP Hungary; 5th in JGP Germany; 4th at JGP Final (#39 SB score of 191.80); 11th at Nationals (Sr. debut); one more year of ISU junior eligibility in 2010-11

Carriere - 3rd at Finlandia Trophy; 6th at Cup of China (#37 SB Sr. score of 195.08); 8th at Skate Canada; WD from Nationals after SP
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-29-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: to add in Carriere's Sr B comp. result

vCash
    For pairs I would think the following, but a lot will depend on Indy

Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett -2 GP
    Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig -2 GP
    Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker -2 GP
    Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin -1 or 2 GP
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir -1 GP
    Amanda Dobbs/Joseph Jacobsen -1 GP (Skate America)

Chloe Katz/Joseph Lynch -B event
    Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin -B event
    Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller -B event
    Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth -B event

Cassie Andrews/Nicholas Anderson -JGP
    Brynn Carman/AJ Reiss -JGP
    Morgan Agster/Adam Civiello -JGP
    Kaitlin Budd/Matthew Blackmer -JGP
    Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan -JGP
    Kylie Duarte/Colin Grafton -JGP
    Mandy Garza/Brandon Frazier -JGP
    Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan -JGP
    Tracy Tanovich/Michael Chau -JGP (thanks Sylvia)
    Last edited by sammyf; 03-29-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    And under the current ISU age rule, Tanovich/Chau [S11] are finally eligible for the JGP this coming season.

vCash
    No Brooke and Ben for GP? Are they retiring?

vCash
    And are Rena & John officially retired? I know he went away mad after Nationals, but I'm not sure I read any interviews where either of them said they were retiring. (On the other hand, with the craziness of Nationals/Olympics it certainly could have been lost in the noise.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    And are Rena & John officially retired? I know he went away mad after Nationals, but I'm not sure I read any interviews where either of them said they were retiring. (On the other hand, with the craziness of Nationals/Olympics it certainly could have been lost in the noise.)
    I was wondering the same thing. You'd think from his reaction to their loss to make the Olympic team at US Nationals that they would quit. But then again, they stuck it out for a number of years after many thought they should have retired.

Do skaters need to make official announcements of retirement? It also seemed like Brooke & Ben retired since they did not accept the invite to 4CC but I don't recall seeing anything about it.

vCash
    There's no such thing as official retirement anymore these days (unless you're Lambiel who did it twice LOL) but Im under the impression aswell that Castile&Okolski are done since they didnt even bother with 4CC this year which would have given them the chance to get GP events. If they do stick around, they will be lucky to get only one assignment and that would be the 3rd invitation from Skate America since they are not in the season best or world ranking lists plus have been absent from major competitions since 2008.

I agree with the rest of Sammy's predictions though. Doobs & Jacobsen will probably be the 3rd team at Skate America and Yankowskas&Coughlin will finally receive a second assignment thanks to their 4th place at 4 Continents.

vCash
    At Nationals this year Brooke and Ben said they're not sure if they're done competing yet. They said they might be back for another season.

I hope they do! Their FS at Nationals was a step in the right direction, and hopefully a big confidence booster!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    Do skaters need to make official announcements of retirement?
    When the 2010-11 team envelopes are published online, the named skaters will then have to let USFS know if they intend to compete in the coming season. That's usually when official announcements of retirements, team splits and/or skaters "not competing in 2010-11" will start happening.

vCash
    The challenging part is that there is a limited number of men's spots on the JGP for US men based on their finish at Junior Worlds. Because of that, we will only have 7 spots for the entire series. My guess is that Messing, Brown, and Farris will each get an initial assignment. I also believe that Max Aaron will get one as well. If the first three medal, then they will all get a second assignment, leaving none for anybody else. It's tricky!

So for men, I see it this way:

GP: Abbott (2), Rippon (2), Hochstein (2), Mahbanoozadeh (2), Bradley (2), Mroz (2). If any of Weir or Lysacek come back, Mahbanoozadeh might get zero assignments.

Senior B's: Mahbanoozadeh (if no GP), Dornbush, Dyer, and Wong (Cassar will be alternate if he sticks around)

JGP: Messing, Brown, Farris, Aaron

Ladies:

GP: Flatt (2), Nagasu (2), Wagner (2), Gao (2), Dobbs (2), Gilles (2), Czisny (1)

Senior B's: Czisny, Liang, Zhang, Bulanhagui... maybe Davis

JGP: Zawadzki, Siraj, Baga, Jiang, Gong, Cain, Marley/Kulgeyko

Pairs:

GP: Denney/Barrett (2), Evora/Ladwig (2), McLaughlin/Brubaker (2), Yankowskas/Coughlin (2), Simpson/Miller (1), Dobbs/Jacobson (1)

Senior B's: Katz/Lynch, Zhang/Toth, Smith/Bartholomay, Vise/Baldwin

JGP: All age eligibles!!! LOL!

Dance:

GP: Davis/White (2), Samuelson/Bates (2), Chock/Zuerlein (2), Hubbell/Hubbell (2), Tibbetts/Brubaker (2), Cannuscio/Lorello (1)

Senior B's: Summersett/Gilles, Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt, Pratt/Obzansky

JGP: Shibutani/Shibutani, Gilles/Donohue, Olson/Cowan, TBD from Lake Placid

vCash
    I'd like to see some of the Senior dance teams heading off to the GP circuit assigned to the early season Senior Bs so that they get good feedback on whatever the new OD format turns out to be. That could end up being pretty important given the magnitude of the change being discussed.

vCash
    I'd think Caroline Zhang would be in line for at least one GP ahead of Czisny.

I'm also feeling a little bad for the Shibutani's, who are probably on the JGP circuit again and it has got to be feeling pretty old.

vCash
    I'm sure Caroline Zhang will at least be offered a GP assignment or 2. After this season, her ISU World Ranking is still 11th or 12th, IIRC. Now, she may decline those assignments to instead work on her technique, but I think she'll at least be offered two.

GP: Nagasu (2), Flatt (2), Wagner (2), Gao (2), Zawadzki (2), Zhang (2), Dobbs (1), Czisny (1), Gilles? (1)

Senior B: Czisny, Dobbs, Gilles, Musademba, Maxwell, Gong (?)

JGP: Baga, Siraj, Jiang, Cesario, Wang, Davis, Cain, Gong

All of this depends on 1) who retires (Liang? Czisny?), 2) who stays on the JGP (Zawadzki? Gao?), and who gets a Skate America "home pick" (possibly Musademba or Maxwell depending on good summer comp. results?).

vCash
    As for the other disciplines for SGP:

Men: Abbott (2), Rippon (2), Mroz (2), Miner (2), Hochstein (2),Mahbanoozadeh? (1), Dornbush? (1 - poss. Skate America?), Carriere? (1)

...again, a lot of ^ depends on whether veterans like Lysacek/Weir/Bradley come back next season. I think Messing, Farris and Brown will be guaranteed JGP spots.

Pairs: Denney/Barrett (2), Evora/Ladwig (2), McLaughlin/Brubaker (2), Yankowskas/Coughlin (2), Castile/Okolski? (1 or 2), Castelli/Shnapir (2?), Dobbs/Jacobson (1 - Skate America?),

...^if Inoue/Baldwin and Castile/Okolski don't come back, a spot could potentially open up for Simpson/Miller, Zhang/Toth or Aaron/Cohen (a SA host spot probably?). If Katz/Lynch come back strong they could make a case for the third SA spot, too.

Dance: Davis/White (2), Samuelson/Bates (2), Chock/Zuerlein (2), Hubbell/Hubbell (2), Summersett/Gilles (1, poss. 2?).

...^will the Shibs move up to senior? If so, I think they'll get 2 assignments. Tibbetts/Brubaker could possibly get 1 (maybe SA?)...if not, I can see them doing Nebelhorn. Ditto for Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt, who could very well get Skate America.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Ditto for Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt, who could very well get Skate America.
    From your mouth to the GP assignment gods' ears! Love this team and would love to see them in Portland.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    The challenging part is that there is a limited number of men's spots on the JGP for US men based on their finish at Junior Worlds. Because of that, we will only have 7 spots for the entire series.
    Wow, that seems so crazy but that is indeed the proper amount based on ISU. If China, for example, doesn't use all its spots, then USA might get more. Also, not sure who is hosting what but if USFS hosts anything, they will get 3 spots for the men in that event.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Last season was when the ISU changed the rule re. the number of JGP entries for singles skaters and dance teams from the top 5 countries' placements at Junior Worlds to top 3. It's published in last year's JGP Announcement. However, if a country such as China chooses not to send 2 men to each of the 7 JGPs next season, the USA should be next in line to pick up some of their unused men's slots.

vCash
    I don't think Bebe will get anything this year. She's not even in the top 35 SB scores. US ladies are in bold.

here is the sb scores for ladies
    top 35 seasons best

4.190.15 Nagasu
    7.182.49 Flatt
    16. 163.97 Wagner
    18. 163.53 Czisny
    20. 160.78 Zhang
    23. 158.23 Dobbs
    25. 156.79 Zawadzki
    31. 151.92 Gilles
    32 151.47 Gao

39. 147.39 Musademba

40. 146.98 Baga
    46. 137.55 Maxwell
    54. 131.39 Liang
    55. 131.33 Kawamura
    Last edited by mysticchic; 03-30-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast