Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Wow...the Muppets have gone...distrubing

The Muppets: Stand By Me

Anyone else think this was awkward to watch?

vCash
    No, I thought it was cute and it actually put a smile to my face.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Little Bunny Foo-Foo revisited. I love the Muppets.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I always thought the original muppets were pretty twisted at times, so that seemed bizarre, but not so completely unlike the muppets.

vCash
    just curious, but what's the "disturbing part"? Is the monster not suppose to eat bunnies, but have a desk job filing paperwork at the DMV instead? Is it suppose to be "normal" like a girl with a stepmom who's trying to kill her, so she lives with midgets in the woods until she goes into a coma after eating poisoned fruit?

vCash
    haha, I liked the singing from the stomach.

vCash
    Anyone who thinks the Muppets are all sweet and innocent have never seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ky7g1lgTwc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    Anyone who thinks the Muppets are all sweet and innocent have never seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ky7g1lgTwc
    That's not the Muppets. Neither in style nor in form.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Those were the proto-muppets by Jim Henson.

vCash

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but that IS from the creative mind of Jim Henson. One of his first jobs was to do commericals like this, using his puppet creations of the time. Rowlf the dog and Kermit seem to be the only characters to have continued on past this point in Henson's career. Rowlf actually had a role in the Jimmy Dean show. Another early job for Henson was a show called Sam and Friends.

Here's a Sam and Friends clip.

And you'll notice a lot of other old, pre-Sesame Street and pre-Muppet Show clips from the early to mid 1960's on the right hand side of the screen, courtesy of Jim Henson.

Meow. Mrow. Miao. Purrrr.
    vCash
    Right from the beginning on Sesame Street we knew that muppets that were eaten were not necessarily dead. We know muppets blow things up and do other chaotic things, but never with serious consequences. Because it's PRETEND.

For those of us who watched Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny pre-sanitization and were not ruined from seeing them, the Muppets may be the last place we can still see some of that silliness without someone PCing it to death. I miss a lot of that spurious violence that we knew wouldn't work in the real world. It was a good outlet.

We miss ya, Jim. Glad your stuff is in good hands.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

vCash
    A hungry monster that happens to like lapin is not strange. However he should consider adding a nice chasseur sauce it really livens up the meal.

vCash
    <snort> Jim Henson really died way too young. But I, too, am glad there are some equally crazy dudes holding down the fort, though none could perhaps be as creative and there will never be another Jim Henson/Frank Oz with the special friendship/comedy team they had.

vCash
    Did you watch the Sci-Fi TV show Farscape? It had lots of 'muppet-like' aliens created by the Henson's Studio.

vCash
    Henson made over 179 10 sec spots for Wilkins coffee and Tea between 1957 and 1961
    Don't forget the Henson spots on the first few seasons of SNL, too. Hysterical!
    "Come with us now to the bubbling tarpits to the sulfurous wasteland; from the rotting forest to the stagnant mudflats, to the Land of Gorch!" Scred and the Mighty Favog...must have been about '75 or so...ah memories!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    For those of us who watched Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny pre-sanitization and were not ruined from seeing them, the Muppets may be the last place we can still see some of that silliness without someone PCing it to death. I miss a lot of that spurious violence that we knew wouldn't work in the real world. It was a good outlet.
    The chaotic silliness was the best part of Tom & Jerry and Bugs Bunny. My nieces don't like Tom & Jerry. At first I was confused then I realized they had been ruined by a PC squad. I don't blame my nieces for not liking the ruined versions of them.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    haha, I liked the singing from the stomach.
    Me, too! I felt much better knowing the bunnies were down there and still alive, lol!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    OK, I just got to watch this for the first time, and it is pretty standard for the Muppets. Something like the old Sam and Friends routine Henson did with his version of Hitchcock being interviewed on "Poison to Poison" (as opposed to "Person to Person"), and the comments about his armchair that was "made out of real arms." The Hitchcock Muppet was sitting in a chair made to look as though it was made of Muppet arms. Unfortunately, I can't find a YouTube clip for this. It was included in the Great Performances (PBS) documentary The World of Jim Henson.

BTW, Jim Henson was calling his company Muppets Incorporated, at the time he was making the TV commercials, as can be seen in this video. This is most definitely pre-Sesame Street (which went on the air in 1969).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    The chaotic silliness was the best part of Tom & Jerry and Bugs Bunny. My nieces don't like Tom & Jerry. At first I was confused then I realized they had been ruined by a PC squad. I don't blame my nieces for not liking the ruined versions of them.
    I must have watched all the wrong Tom & Jerrys, because they always bored me half to death. I adore Looney Tunes and the Muppets, though.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    That's pretty standard fare for muppets. Here's an old clip that's equally twisted--if not more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ-EJNz2AoE

Shel Silverstein's "You're Always Welcome at Our House"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast