View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • April 2nd – Clash Of The Titans (fantasy starring Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes)

11 29.73%
  • April 2nd - Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too (comedy drama with Janet Jackson)

3 8.11%
  • April 2nd – The Greatest (drama with Pierce Brosnan, Susan Sarandon and Carey Mulligan)

4 10.81%
  • April 9th – Date Night (comedy with Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg and James Franco)

21 56.76%
  • April 9th – After.Life (horror with Liam Neeson, Christina Ricci and Justin Long)

3 8.11%
  • April 16th – Death At A Funeral (comedy with Chris Rock, James Marsden and Tracy Morgan)

4 10.81%
  • April 16th – Kick Ass (action comedy with Nicholas Cage and Elizabeth McGovern)

6 16.22%
  • April 23rd – The Back-Up Plan (comedy with Jennifer Lopez, Alex O’Loughlin and Robert Klein)

1 2.70%
  • April 23rd – In The Electric Mist (drama with Tommy Lee Jones, Peter Sarsgaard and John Goodman)

3 8.11%
  • April 23rd – A Shine Of Rainbows (drama with Aidan Quinn and Connie Nielsen)

1 2.70%
  • April 30th – A Nightmare On Elm Street (horror with Jackie Earle Haley)

6 16.22%
  • April 30th – Please Give (comedy drama with Catherine Keener, Amanda Peet and Oliver Platt)

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    When we saw Alice In Wonderland, I think we paid $14 here in Vancouver. It was a matinee showing, $11.00 for the movie and a $3 upgrade for the 3-D version. $14.00 seems like a lot for a matinee, but when tickets go over $20.00 for one person to see one movie? I still remember thinking that when it went over $10.00 it was too much! No wonder I wait for most movies to come out on DVD and then get them for free at the library.
    I agree, $20 for one movie is just way over doing it. That used to be the price you expected to shell out for the ticket AND your popcorn and drink. Now it will be closer to $30 for the tickets and food if you still want both. I think this could backfire on theaters because theaters make the bulk of their profit from concessions. If people quit buying concessions because they spent all their money on tickets, it will hurt the bottom line. I don't think the higher ticket prices will be enough to cover losses at the concessions if those losses are big enough, and they will be if more and more movies come out in 3D.

If I was running a theater I would raise 3D prices and offer a free drink with any purchase of a 3D ticket. This would encourage some people who were thinking of seeing the 2D movie and when they are getting their free drink they will be more likely to go ahead and get a popcorn or candy to go with it. Not to mention that drinks are the cheapest thing at concession stands, they give a HUGE profit but giving them away to some people costs very very little.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    COTT: $64.1 mil

Tyler Perry's WDIGM: $30 mil.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Weekend top 10:

1 (new) Clash of the Titans - $61,400,000
    2 (new) Why Did I Get Married Too? - $30,150,000
    3 (1) How to Train Your Dragon - $29,200,000
    4 (new) The Last Song - $16,203,000
    5 (2) Alice in Wonderland -$8,267,000
    6 (3) Hot Tub Time Machine - $8,000,000
    7 (4) The Bounty Hunter - $6,200,000
    8 (5) Diary of a Wimpy Kid - $5,525,000
    9 (6) She's Out of My League - $1,463,000
    10 (8) Shutter Island - $1,462,000

Sixteen million for Miley Cyrus’ movie…is she the new Sandra Bullock?

Other movies debuting this week:

24 (new) The Greatest - $57,472

25 (new) Breaking Upwards - $16,300 (only one theatre, best per theatre average for all movies playing this week)

27 (new) The Warlords - $10,000 (only three theatres)

28 (new) The Thorn in the Heart (Documentary) - $6,135 (one theatre)

I had not included a trailer for Breaking Upwards in my first post as I found the trailer to be all about a bunch of whiny, self-centred people I did not want to spend any time with. Apparently theatre-goers (in at least one theatre) disagreed with me! So here’s the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEeDVtSPO_w

And if anyone is curious about The Thorn In The Heart, it’s a French documentary about the director’s aunt (and her family) who is a teacher in rural France. Here’s the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hlj7ElSV24

vCash
    I just came back from seeing Clash Of The Titans and loved it. I do not remember much of the original movie which is probably for the best. LOL The only thing I did not like was;

Spoiler

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just got back from seeing Clash of the Titans. I give it a thumbs up. It was close to being a "see it on DVD" recommendation, but because it's so much about the visuals, it's one to see in the theatre. But don't pay extra for the 3-D version! It barely has ANYTHING that made it stand out as a 3-D movie. I'm not sure if I paid extra for the 3-D version because when I bought my ticket, I was told that the movie came with a free popcorn and drink. I should have known something was up, because after she made this statement, she waited for a response. I remember thinking, "you told me that's the deal, why are you waiting for me to say something?" But it was some weird scam, because later when I looked at my ticket, I saw that I got charged for a ticket as well as for the drink and popcorn (which I NEVER buy on their own). Inside the theatre, my friend said I could have said no to the combo and saved myself five bucks... And I don't even like popcorn!

Anyway, the best part of the movie was either Sam Worthington or the effects (which would have been just as good in the 2-D version). Worthington is a great leading man, who oozes sincerity (and sexiness...you got to see some of his backside during some sequences as his mini-skirt was very mini!!).

Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson were great, but I was drawn more to Worthington, which is saying a lot because Neeson and especially Fiennes are great actors. But the script wasn't brilliant, so maybe Worthington's elders were trying a little too hard. Gemma Arterton, as Worthington's love interest is luminescent...but I'll still take Sammy. I just checked imdb.com and Arterton played opposite Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace. Thought she looked familiar!

So if you wanna see this one, do so on the big screen, but save yourself a few bucks and see the 2-D version. If you're wavering at all, wait for it to come out on DVD in four months (I saw at HMV that Avatar is coming out on DVD this month) and watch it at home. (Hopefully you've got a big screen, though.)

vCash
    So on the list and in release on April 23 is Jennifer Lopez's new movie, The Back-up Plan. In it she plays a woman who has found Mr. Right yet so she decides to have a baby on her own only to meet THE one, played by Alex O'Loughlin, while pregnant. It's funny and charming and well...Alex is nice on the eyes. I'm working with the film so check them out in the behind the scenes clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHpsCCcXLJk and trailer http://www.theback-upplan.com

Cheers,
    Kelley

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Weekend top 10:

1 (1) Clash of the Titans - $26,633,209

2 (new) Date Night - $25,207,599

3 (3) How to Train Your Dragon - $24,863,535

4 (2) Why Did I Get Married Too? - $11,017,379

5 (4) The Last Song - $9,832,326

6 (6) Hot Tub Time - $5,431,021

7 (5) Alice in Wonderland - $5,301,730

8 (7) The Bounty Hunter - $4,215,156

9 (8) Diary of a Wimpy Kid - $3,979,641

10 (new) Letters to God - $1,101,204
    In today's newspapers, they were talking all about the top two movies battling it out for the number one spot as if this was some world security matter. I guess everybody wants bragging rights, especially if your movie is debuting ("Date Night" can't say it's America's #1 movie now...unless it moves up next week - which rarely happens).

Here's the trailer for Letters to God...I didn't include it in my original post because nobody famous was in it and I had never heard of it. Who knew it'd debut in the top 10??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBDK2LGn4p0

Anybody think they reached out to the Christian community in the marketing of this one? (P.S. It does not star Kirk Cameron)

After.Life debuted at #42, bringing in just under $60,000 at 41 theatres. La Mission debuted at #45 and brought in about the same amount of money, but it's playing at only 15 theatres. I have no idea what the marketing strategy for After.Life is... I'm guessing they are hoping for good word of mouth for both movies and are releasing them in limited release to begin?? After.Life did not get good reviews on "At The Movies" this weekend. But "The Square" (an Australian movie, debuting at #59) got two thumbs up (the clips used on At the Movies were better than this trailer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvKlAA-zYRk

Quote Originally Posted by KelleyK View Post
    So on the list and in release on April 23 is Jennifer Lopez's new movie, The Back-up Plan...

...it's funny and charming and well...Alex is nice on the eyes. I'm working with the film so check them out in the behind the scenes clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHpsCCcXLJk and trailer http://www.theback-upplan.com
    So any dirt on happenings during filming? This one will be worth seeing for Alex alone...who was a true hottie in "Moonlight" and under-appreciated in "Three Rivers". Maybe the movies will treat him better than TV has...

vCash
    Clash Of The Titans made more overseas than it did in the North American market. I had a feeling it would. So nice to see it do well because I love these sort of movie and want to see more!!!!! hehehe

vCash
    I have noticed that comedies don't care so much if they aren't #1 because they found a loop hole. I have seen many a commercial that says "The #1 COMEDY in America." Date Night can just use that tag line and still get their #1, haha.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Saw "Girl Wit Te Dragon Tattoo" today and did not realise it was subtitled and had so much images of graphic violence against women. A little jarring but still an ok movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Clash Of The Titans made more overseas than it did in the North American market. I had a feeling it would. So nice to see it do well because I love these sort of movie and want to see more!!!!! hehehe
    Did you see COTT and did you like it? I wanted to see it but stayed away because of the reviews. The director also directed Hulk, which I didn't think was really that good of a film. Sometimes I wonder how directors who directed badly received films get the go ahead to direct other big budget - high profiled pictures. If I was the studio behind COTT I would want to make sure that only "quality" people are involved with it.

vCash
    I LOVED COTT! But I saw it on the regular 2D format. Overall I absolutely loved it and not sure why all the complaints since it is a retelling of the old movie which I did not mind at all. Sam Worthington is great too. There was just one verrry tiny 30 second bit at the very end I did not like but other than that I have no complaints. Two tumbs up from me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Did you see COTT and did you like it? I wanted to see it but stayed away because of the reviews. The director also directed Hulk, which I didn't think was really that good of a film. Sometimes I wonder how directors who directed badly received films get the go ahead to direct other big budget - high profiled pictures. If I was the studio behind COTT I would want to make sure that only "quality" people are involved with it.
    The studios could care less how well a film is received, especially by critics, they care about how much $$ it pulls in. I don't have the numbers but I am pretty sure Hulk (2008 version) pulled in a good bit, probably over 100 million in the US (I think it opened with about 55 million the first weekend). Those movies aren't made for critics or serious movie goers, anyway. The only films focused on reviews and critics are the low budget and independent films because that is the only way they will ever make money or get a wide release.
    -Brian

vCash
    Never thought I would ever say this but.... there is this upcoming Jennifer Lopez that I rrrreally want to see LOL "Backup Plan" looks GOOD! I could sooo easily see this happening to actually people I know. hehehehehe I can hardly wait to see it. Hope it does not turn into a disappointment like the last comedy I saw.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Never thought I would ever say this but.... there is this upcoming Jennifer Lopez that I rrrreally want to see LOL "Backup Plan" looks GOOD! I could sooo easily see this happening to actually people I know. hehehehehe I can hardly wait to see it. Hope it does not turn into a disappointment like the last comedy I saw.
    Well, as long as this remains just between you and I...I've enjoyed every single movie I've seen of hers. I just watched "Bordertown" recently and thought it was a REALLY good movie. I highly recommend it. (And Antonio Banderas looks GREAT at 45.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The studios could care less how well a film is received, especially by critics, they care about how much $$ it pulls in. I don't have the numbers but I am pretty sure Hulk (2008 version) pulled in a good bit, probably over 100 million in the US (I think it opened with about 55 million the first weekend). Those movies aren't made for critics or serious movie goers, anyway. The only films focused on reviews and critics are the low budget and independent films because that is the only way they will ever make money or get a wide release.
    That's not necessilary true. Yes at the end of the day it's the bottom $$$ that's important. If the movie's a success inspite of the mass critical drubbing then the studio can claim that they made the film for the audience and that the critics are out of touch, etc., but no major studios and directors want to put out works that are called craps either. There are egos involved too.

The Incredible Hulk made some money, but it was not a runaway success at the b.o. It only made slightly more than the Ang Lee's version. That's why there hasn't been any plan of a 3rd installment.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    This weekend's top 10 movies:

http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/thisweek.php

1 (new) Kick-Ass - $19,828,687
    2 (3) How to Train Your Dragon - $19,633,320
    3 (new) Death at a Funeral - $17,000,000
    5 (1) Clash of the Titans - $15,385,491
    6 (5) The Last Song - $5,788,000
    7 (4) Why Did I Get Married Too? - $4,098,898
    8 (6) Hot Tub Time Machine - $3,545,000
    9 (7) Alice in Wonderland - $3,540,000
    10 (8) The Bounty Hunter - $3,200,000

Quite interesting that "How To Train Your Dragon" (HTTYD) almost took the top spot in it's FOURTH week of release AND it moved up a spot even with a new comedy opening all while battling it out for the top spot against another kid's movie. HTTYD has now grossed over $150 million (and that's the U.S. only...or is it U.S. and Canada)?

Other movies debuting this week:

#16 - The Joneses (just over half a million)

#17 - The Perfect Games (just under half a million)

#25 - The Secret In Their Eyes (Argentian film - police drama/thriller...love story??)
    TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CUj7kdW7IQ

#27 - Exit Through The Gift Shop (UK comedy...I think...)
    TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTlm6dU2xHk

#41 - The City Of Your Final Destination

#45 - Handsome Harry

The Joneses stars Demi Moore and David Duchovny. I'm curious as to what Demi Moore's career plan is. Before she took a few years off, she was only interested in big budget movies that made (her) a lot of money. Since coming out of semi-retirement, she seems to be taking only independent movies which cater to small audiences. I'm not sure if that's all she's being offered, or if she is specifically choosing only movies that mean something to her...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm curious as to what Demi Moore's career plan is. Before she took a few years off, she was only interested in big budget movies that made (her) a lot of money. Since coming out of semi-retirement, she seems to be taking only independent movies which cater to small audiences. I'm not sure if that's all she's being offered, or if she is specifically choosing only movies that mean something to her...
    I highly doubt that Demi Moore is that much wanted in Hollywood anymore, certainly not for high profile, big budget films. She's no longer the box office draw that she once was during her Ghost years, and her facial features look very different now. Her contemporaries like Charlize Theron and Julia Roberts are still very popular and will have first dips of the prime parts.

vCash
    Well, Kickass seems really good...

vCash
    I wouldn't mind seeing KickAss. I also wouldn't mind seeing How To Train Your Dragon now that it is doing well and word of mouth is so amazing. Probably will wait to rent both, however.
    -Brian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast