Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 116
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Grant Hochstein, Keegan Messing, Ross Miner, Richard Dornbush, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Doug Razzano, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown.....
    I'd only consider them outside chances, not much threat to him at all. I haven't even HEARD of half of them (I'm not American though).

  2. #42
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,690
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Miner could be a threat next year. Will see.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3290
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Grant Hochstein, Keegan Messing, Ross Miner, Richard Dornbush, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Doug Razzano, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown.....
    I am a quiet uber of both Jason Brown ( especially) and Joshua Farris, and think they'll be the ones to "take the torch" from the current champions ( knocking on wood frantically). But they are both 15 and have not even done Junior circuit yet, so for the next 2, 3 years they'll be doing Junior GP and Junior Worlds. They might be a thread for the Sochi team, though.
    I totally agree that somebody as charismatic and entertaining as Ryan really should have a future on tour, I'd gladly sign that letter to SOI. If another year might help him to get there, I hope he stays- but it will not be easy for him with Abbott, Rippon, Mroz and possibility of Evan/ Johnny still competing. Without Evan and Johnny thre is a good chance, though Mroz might come back roaring.

  4. #44
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,293
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I am a quiet uber of both Jason Brown ( especially) and Joshua Farris, and think they'll be the ones to "take the torch" from the current champions ( knocking on wood frantically). But they are both 15 and have not even done Junior circuit yet, so for the next 2, 3 years they'll be doing Junior GP and Junior Worlds.
    Farris debuted on the JGP this past season and placed 4th and 5th in 2 strong fields (Lake Placid & Turkey), landing the 3A in both competitions.

    Brown just had his international debut at Gardena Spring Trophy this past weekend and won with an impressive score (197+) -- here's the link to the event thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71498
    He was quoted after winning the Junior title at Nationals that he may not move up to senior nationally unless he gets the 3A, but he certainly hasn't needed it to be successful so far.

    Back to Ryan Bradley -- he is currently ranked #26 in the ISU World Standings and #25 on the Season Best scores list, so he is very likely to get at least 1, if not 2, Grand Prix assignments this fall if he chooses to continue competing.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Farris debuted on the JGP this past season and placed 4th and 5th in 2 strong fields (Lake Placid & Turkey), landing the 3A in both competitions.

    Brown just had his international debut at Gardena Spring Trophy this past weekend and won with an impressive score (197+) -- here's the link to the event thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71498
    He was quoted after winning the Junior title at Nationals that he may not move up to senior nationally unless he gets the 3A, but he certainly hasn't needed it to be successful so far.

    Back to Ryan Bradley -- he is currently ranked #26 in the ISU World Standings and #25 on the Season Best scores list, so he is very likely to get at least 1, if not 2, Grand Prix assignments this fall if he chooses to continue competing.
    I hope he continues!

  6. #46
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,690
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    whole post
    ITA re: Brown , Farris and Ryan.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I am a quiet uber of both Jason Brown ( especially) and Joshua Farris, and think they'll be the ones to "take the torch" from the current champions ( knocking on wood frantically). But they are both 15 and have not even done Junior circuit yet, so for the next 2, 3 years they'll be doing Junior GP and Junior Worlds. They might be a thread for the Sochi team, though.
    I totally agree that somebody as charismatic and entertaining as Ryan really should have a future on tour, I'd gladly sign that letter to SOI. If another year might help him to get there, I hope he stays- but it will not be easy for him with Abbott, Rippon, Mroz and possibility of Evan/ Johnny still competing. Without Evan and Johnny thre is a good chance, though Mroz might come back roaring.
    It's dumb that SOI won't accept Ryan. I mean, they accepted Alissa and she and Ryan have had very similar results at their competitions the past few years.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Islands in the Stream
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    144
    I hope Ryan continues, at least for another season. I loved it when he beat Evan at Skate Canada in 2008. SOI accepted Alissa because she is a National Champion.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,385
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2563
    On any given day, I could see Ryan medaling, maybe at the top, at US Nats, sort of a la Alissa, if others are having bad days and he happens to be having a great one. He does have the talent, quads, and he certainly is a show man, I am charmed every time he goes out on the ice. But I do think that at least two years out from Sochi, the judges will be pushing the next generation. So, perhaps it is a good idea to try again, but maybe for only one more year, or two at a reach.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    SOI misses the boat by not having entertaining skaters like Bradley and Weir. It's all well and good to be an excellent skater by CoP standards but winning an OGM does not mean you're necessarily fun to watch. (Sorry Sarah.) If they want more people, besides the hard core fans, to buy tickets they should go with the popular skaters not just the big medal winners. It's not like Ryan and skaters of his ilk are not worth watching. It's supposed to be a SHOW not a parade.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,995
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    791
    Could it be that Bradley turned down SOI because of his broken foot? Scott seems to love him, and I imagine he'd be on the tour if healthy.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    If they want more people, besides the hard core fans, to buy tickets they should go with the popular skaters not just the big medal winners.
    Obviously if they had 50 skaters they'd attract a wider variety and larger total number of fans than if they have 15 skaters. But it wouldn't be cost effective to pay salaries and expenses for that many skaters.

    So they hire skaters they think will attract a large enough number of fans to justify their salaries. They need to attract casual fans who may only be familiar with a handful of names. Or who don't even recognize any names but do recognize impressive titles listed after the names.

    Unfortunately that means that many skaters who are favorites of serious fans don't get hired.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    ...

    Maybe they didn't include him because they already had Michael, Jeremy and Evan and thought that was enough US Men? They can't have everybody good.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3290
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Farris debuted on the JGP this past season and placed 4th and 5th in 2 strong fields (Lake Placid & Turkey), landing the 3A in both competitions.

    Brown just had his international debut at Gardena Spring Trophy this past weekend and won with an impressive score (197+) -- here's the link to the event thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71498
    He was quoted after winning the Junior title at Nationals that he may not move up to senior nationally unless he gets the 3A, but he certainly hasn't needed it to be successful so far.

    Back to Ryan Bradley -- he is currently ranked #26 in the ISU World Standings and #25 on the Season Best scores list, so he is very likely to get at least 1, if not 2, Grand Prix assignments this fall if he chooses to continue competing.
    Thanks Sylvia! I am living under the illusion that all competitions end with Worlds, but it ain't so. I was talking about International Junior assignments, but I guess Joshua and Jason can move to Senior Nationals... wow... I am so curious if they do!
    Last edited by dinakt; 04-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1521
    Farris has landed the 3A in competition. He probably would have done better in the JGP this past season, but he had a serious leg injury that kept him from practicing during the early summer of 2009.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    731
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    85
    He was quoted after winning the Junior title at Nationals that he may not move up to senior nationally unless he gets the 3A, but he certainly hasn't needed it to be successful so far.
    Asked this after US Nationals, but still not sure - doesn't Brown have to move up? Rules do not allow a National Cahmpion to compete the next year at the same level (except, of course, Senior), do they?

  17. #57
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,293
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Asked this after US Nationals, but still not sure - doesn't Brown have to move up? Rules do not allow a National Cahmpion to compete the next year at the same level (except, of course, Senior), do they?
    No, Jason Brown doesn't have to move up to Senior -- see this thread: USFS clarification on Novice and Junior Champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Farris has landed the 3A in competition.
    Yes, I mentioned in my earlier post that Farris landed the 3A in his 2 JGPs this past fall.

    Speaking of the 3A... I think Ryan Bradley only landed it once or twice in competition this past season and usually ended up doubling the jump. His 3A success rate was much higher the season before.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    731
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    85
    Nice that USFS "clarified" that yesterday...
    I actually thought it was quite clear the other way - skaters start their "qualifying season" by entering pre-Sept 1 through their Region, whether or not other rules allow them to skip or have a bye through Regionals or Sectionals. So, this clarification says - we didn't really mean they need to move up, just they can start at Sectionals - but they could get a bye there with a JGP assignment. More confusing, not less...IMHO

    Anyway, back on topic, there is no comparison, style-wise/maturity, between Jason & Ryan, and I echo those posters opinions who believe SOI made a mistake in not including him!

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    599
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think none of the skaters aside from Evan or Johnny are consistent. Abott and Adam are a little inconsistent, but both have the COP friendly qualities and have major titles to their name.
    Morz is like him too, just big jump and nothign else. I be surprise if both Evan and Johnny return, as they have found post ice career in hollywood already.

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Nice that USFS "clarified" that yesterday...
    I actually thought it was quite clear the other way - skaters start their "qualifying season" by entering pre-Sept 1 through their Region, whether or not other rules allow them to skip or have a bye through Regionals or Sectionals. So, this clarification says - we didn't really mean they need to move up, just they can start at Sectionals - but they could get a bye there with a JGP assignment. More confusing, not less...IMHO
    The rule says nothing about byes from JGP assignments. That's just extra knowledge that posters are bringing to understanding what it says.

    We know that everyone is supposed to start their season with regionals, except that skaters who placed in the top 5 in seniors the previous year can go straight through to nationals regardless of fall assignments or injuries.

    It seems what it's saying is that skaters who placed "in the top 1" at the novice or junior level the previous year can start the qualifying process at sectionals the next year if they stay at the same level. If they move up a level or two, they have to start at regionals.

    If they have international assignments, they might get byes, but that's separate.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •