Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachael's plans

vCash
    I sure wish her luck in school at whatever she studies. But I sure am glad too that she wants to keep skating,and I hope she does,and like I said...never retires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If Mirai has a decent GP season, I expect her to get a 2nd national championship. Her Olympic placement, and World's short will give USFS good reason to give it to her.

(Though I prefer to think skaters earn these things...)
    I think it'll be more like, if she has a decent GP season AND skates decent programs at Nationals, she's likely to get a 2nd national championship.

Good past results (Olympics, Worlds short, decent GP if it happens) will earn her benefit of doubt and perhaps generous PCS, she tends to earn good GOEs on spins and spirals on their own merit even if the jumps aren't working, but that can only hold her up so far if she doesn't skate well or jump successfully and others do.

vCash
    She has been poorly packaged. Wasn't it last year that she had that awful boring program that she ended up ditching for Worlds? Someone is not doing their job. Maybe Tom Z is a great jump coach, but he just can't get her to the next level. It might not even be his fault, since she considers herself a student first and foremost and then an athlete. Also, the fact that Flatt proudly proclaims that she has never taken a ballet class really makes me shudder. Yeah, Rachael, it's obvious. No surprise there... Not impressed.
    I'd like to see her develop as a skater, but I think school will always take precedence. So, that's great, she'll have a 4.0 and go to med school. But I think she should just eschew all things skating if she does that. It would be a half hearted attempt at best, sorta like Sarah Hughes coming back for SOI playing Fannie Brice on Ice in a not good way.
    And frankly, I'm surprised that her packaging is so awful. Are there no gays in COSpgs? Someone just needs to get a hold of her and say "Darling this does NOT work. I will help you." Who was her choreographer? I'd have spent an entire session just forcing her to skate with her head up, shoulders down just to show she owns a neck. Something is off there, and I'm not sure who is to blame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    Who was her choreographer?
    Lori Nichol.

vCash
    I wish Rachael well.

I am seriously hoping that next season's top US sr ladies (Sr G-P Circuit or otherwise) will consist of, in no particular order:

Mirai Nagasu
    Ashley Wagner
    Christine Gao
    Amanda Dobbs (if she raises the number of triples)
    Agnes Zawadski (absolutely would be a plus...SENIORS, please)
    Angela Maxwell (hopefully healthy again)
    Alexe Gilles (showed signs of promise and delight last season)

Rachael would do great in school, unless she want to continue the also-ran path...safe and dependable, if not outstanding.
    Zhang? She needs to be put out of her misery...find another hobby and be happy!
    Hughes? Back to school, please.
    Czissny...good grief.

Ring in the new - Ring out the old!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    [QUOTE=IceKween;2719144]
    "And frankly, I'm surprised that her packaging is so awful. Are there no gays in COSpgs? Someone just needs to get a hold of her and say "Darling this does NOT work. Let me help you"

While I agree with much of Ice Kween's quote, I have to say I found this part offensive. I don't understand why the question of whether there are any gays in CO had to be asked, as if all gay people are fashion consultants, or that no straight people could help her. This is NOT about me being PC, but just about trying to not buy into/ spread stereotypes like that. The post would have had the same meaning without that sentence.

I hope this post does not offend anybody, because that is not my intent.

vCash
    I can't believe yet another discussion of homosexuality and stereotypes is starting in a non-Johnny related thread. Who would have thought shiny, good girl Rachael Flatt would trigger this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I think it'll be more like, if she has a decent GP season AND skates decent programs at Nationals, she's likely to get a 2nd national championship.

Good past results (Olympics, Worlds short, decent GP if it happens) will earn her benefit of doubt and perhaps generous PCS, she tends to earn good GOEs on spins and spirals on their own merit even if the jumps aren't working, but that can only hold her up so far if she doesn't skate well or jump successfully and others do.
    If Christina Gao grows up next season and looks like more of a senior lady, I think SHE will be national champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liNIlGSGts
    The commentators clearly LOVE her, as they should . They don't talk about most of the other skaters like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I know everyon gets sick of hearing about her consistency, but it is a huge competitive advantage. She's also only seventeen, so she does still have some time to grow as a skater. I think it's too early to write her off.
    I have to give her kudos for her consistency, however, I tend to doubt that her body lines, stretch etc. will improve at this point in time. No ballet and probably no Pilates or similar exercise for 17 years is not easily overcome. In addition, based on some comments that have been made here, she probably would be resistant to trying some of those options.

When I compare her with the likes of Mirai, who is so stretched and elegant, there is no comparison. I also wonder if her PCS will improve in the future, given how the judges marked her at the Olympics and Worlds. Again, comparing her with Mirai, it appears that the international judges prefer Mirai on the whole, no matter how consistent Rachel is. j

Given her emphasis on education, I think that shunning the likes of Stanford, which could very well set her up for life professionally, I just can't see it. I guess that time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I wish Rachael well.

I am seriously hoping that next season's top US sr ladies (Sr G-P Circuit or otherwise) will consist of, in no particular order:

Mirai Nagasu
    Ashley Wagner
    Christine Gao
    Amanda Dobbs (if she raises the number of triples)
    Agnes Zawadski (absolutely would be a plus...SENIORS, please)
    Angela Maxwell (hopefully healthy again)
    Alexe Gilles (showed signs of promise and delight last season)

Rachael would do great in school, unless she want to continue the also-ran path...safe and dependable, if not outstanding.
    Zhang? She needs to be put out of her misery...find another hobby and be happy!
    Hughes? Back to school, please.
    Czissny...good grief.

Ring in the new - Ring out the old!
    I miss Angela! What a little firecracker! For such a tiny girl she has some really nice, big jumps . Don't know if she'll get GP assignments next season though considering she didn't compete at nationals. But she did go to the JGPF so maybe that will be enough to get assignments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    When I compare her with the likes of Mirai, who is so stretched and elegant, there is no comparison. I also wonder if her PCS will improve in the future, given how the judges marked her at the Olympics and Worlds. Again, comparing her with Mirai, it appears that the international judges prefer Mirai on the whole, no matter how consistent Rachel is.
    Oh, she's certainly not better than Mirai. I was making the case for her being the second best US lady, which I believe her to be at this point. Though I see her being surpassed, possibly as soon as next season if Ashley steps it up or one of the younger girls wows everyone. But Rachael could still be in it if that doesn't happen.

vCash
    Also, the fact that Flatt proudly proclaims that she has never taken a ballet class really makes me shudder. Yeah, Rachael, it's obvious.
    Sorry to nitpick, but that's not true. She's said in several articles that she does take ballet? When did she say that she didn't?

vCash
    And frankly, I'm surprised that her packaging is so awful. Are there no gays in COSpgs? Someone just needs to get a hold of her and say "Darling this does NOT work. I will help you."

vCash
    To get to the next level in skating, the improvements Rachael needs to make are tough but not impossible. I don't see them happening over the summer, though. She will not surpass 5th place internationally, and indeed, risks dropping from 5th permanantly, without addressing her on ice issues.

Since her skating would be improved by spending some time focusing on carriage and extension, and since she's graduating from high school now, why not take a year off NOW and focus on her weak spots without the pressures of competition?

I just don't see the point in skating next season, and potentially taking '11-'12 off. We saw how hard it is to return to competition after a break. Why try to do that one year closer to sochi?

This is the natural year for her to be a freshman. Go! Enjoy freshman year, workout, take dance classes and pilates, and skate with an ice dance coach.

Honestly, is she does have a bad back as has been reported, why hasn't she been taking pilates as pt?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Cheering for V/M, D/W, Shibus, I/K, P/I, Miki, Yu Na, Akiko, Mirai, Lambiel, Patrick, Oda, Kozuka, S/Z, S/S and P/T!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnie21 View Post
    Sorry to nitpick, but that's not true. She's said in several articles that she does take ballet? When did she say that she didn't?
    I thought so too. I remember reading that she does ballet, which surprised me because her posture, extension and port de bras are terrible imo. I think she needs to step up her ballet classes; maybe add modern or jazz as well. She has to work on the details like carriage and polish, otherwise she's going to pale in comparison to the other ladies should they ever jump as well as her. Her consistency is no longer a given advantage.

If Flatt stays in, I think repackaging is seriously in order. She'll need to maximize her strengths by avoiding lyrical/ balletic programmes. Team Flatt can look at how Team Yu Na does it. And avoid what Team Mao did this season - choose unflattering costumes and music.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    After these Olympics and Worlds, the writing's on the wall if she chooses to continue.
    It might be, but Flatt was top ten in the FS, and Nagasu wasn't.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post

The only time Angela was truly hard-done by judging was 2001 Nationals and that was just a case of Nationals judges not trusting Angela after years of mediocre results vs. the very dependable rising star Sarah. Sarah didn't exactly bomb that year anyway- so it was a close call for them (not for me cause Angela was so diviiiiine)
    I'd also say 1997 (?) when she was with Oppegard and an excellent program to "Cinderella", when she lost to Nicole Bobek with her "Giselle".
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I agree. Her LP costume last year was quite flattering and the color was perfect, whereas her costumes this year are not the most flattering in fit or color. Rachael should wear more blue, it goes well with her skin and hair.
    http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/847...0A760B0D811297
    http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...ersonal003.jpg
    This should clear up one issue: (tried to link, didn't work. Just google for "Rachael Flatt Ballet, and get the answer).
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 03-30-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Link didn't work

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    That is definitely better! She needs the wider shoulder straps, like in the photos. She should never ever go strapless or wear skinny straps.
    Or yank her hair straight back.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    RE Gao and Zawadzki, does anyone know if they will be Seniors next season?

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast