Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachael's plans

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I think Rachael's skating suffered a bit this season due to the fact this was her Senior year in high school, with all the social and academic events that go with that. She peaked at Nationals and never quite made it back to that level at Olympics and Worlds.
    It's been a while since I graduated HS, but I do remember that the hardest year was junior year, because that's when you had to take the SATs and some of the harder AP classes for them to count for college applications. The first half of senior year was stressful only because of college apps, but beyond that you were home free. Second half of senior year was known as slacking time. Since she's already been accepted (to some very good schools), they can't kick her out unless she fails the rest of her classes and physically doesn't show up for the AP tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    IIRC Debie Thomas was a pre-med at Stanford when she was competing at world level (I think she transferred to Colorado later). Wylie did compete at the senior national level while studying at Harvard, but after he graduated, his skating improved significantly.

Some really smart people are able to handle a lot more than mortals like me are. I give Rachael the benefit of doubt and say that she will be able to do it, unless the school is too rigid to allow it.
    Debi and Paul didn't have to contend with traveling and training for a Grand Prix series. They only had to show up for Nationals and Worlds. I have no idea how the lack of early-season training would help their basic class schedule, but showing up in person to lab is a REQUIREMENT for science and pre-med majors. You can't skip out on that, and I highly doubt any school would open up a lab and get a TA in for just Rachael to work alone. Although I'm pretty sure that schools with a Div I athletic program like UCLA or Stanford would have options available for training/traveling athletes.

vCash
    I don't know how many of you get the USFSA magazine, but they had a picture of Rachel during her Nats LP in the current issue. She's in a pose move, with one arm extended. Her shoulders are up near her ears. What she really needs is intensive work on carriage. Currently, it ruins the look of what she does. Her shape is her shape, but the carriage could really be improved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think the USFS is kicking themselves for not crowning Nagasu at Nationals - could have been the difference between 4th and bronze in Vancouver.
    There was about a 15-point difference between Rochette and Nagasu. Nagasu was behind Flatt in the SP - remember, Flatt did a clean 3-3, Nagasu did a 3-2. Nagasu finished barely ahead of Ando. Do you really think that if Nagasu were the Nat'l champ, she would have beaten Rochette?

Flatt was 5th at 09 Worlds and had the highest scores of any U.S. lady on the GP (I do believe she scored higher than Wagner - unfortunately, she competed in deeper fields and missed the GPF). She was clearly the front-runner going into Nats. Nagasu was very inconsistent over the past 2 seasons at that point and I'm sure there was doubt that she could handle Oly pressure. The end result at Nats reflected what the skaters did on the ice. Over both programs, Flatt and Nagasu were the best, in that order.

I suspect that if Sasha Cohen skated even close to clean, the Oly team would have been Flatt and Cohen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    In 2008 wern't the current crop of up and coming girls supposed to be so good that we would earn 3 spots back once they started competing at the sr. level? Remember all the flack Kimmie and Bebe got for placing 7th and 10th at 2008 worlds? Wasn't Caroline Zhang supposed to be the next Michelle Kwan? LOL.
    And every time someone goes on about how great Ashley Wagner is, and IF ONLY she could go to Worlds and compete there she would be rewarded, I remember that she DID go to Worlds in 2008 with Kimmie and Bebe and finished somewhere around 15th. At least in 2009 Alissa finished 11th, and she was hammered SO HARD for that placement...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    If Wagner hadn't fallen in the SP, she would have gone to the Olys and Worlds (instead of Nagasu). I like Wagner, but she didn't earn a spot. Flatt and Nagasu did.
    If Flatt hadn't been overscored on the PCS, Wagner would have gone to Olys and Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Sure she has great basics and speed and some musicality, but everyone knows that figure skating is primarily a jump competition.
    It hasn't always been, and maybe it no longer is.

Maybe "everybody" has to revise what they "know" to fit the current facts.

People have been saying all along "it's figure skating, not figure jumping," and I think for most judges the skating usually came first and the jumps second. But since the winners usually have both good skating and good jumping, sometimes the balance tips more toward the better jumping.

vCash
    Rachael has a stocky build, with short legs, and she is short-waisted. She is never going to look lithe and willowy like Kim or as slim as Nagasu. She is strong and healthy, and that is what matters.
    Does anyone have a problem with that? Gal is cute, 'nuff said. This is stocky? http://www.nbcolympics.com/mm/photo/...263407_m14.jpg
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 03-30-2010 at 02:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    It hasn't always been, and maybe it no longer is.

Maybe "everybody" has to revise what they "know" to fit the current facts.

People have been saying all along "it's figure skating, not figure jumping," and I think for most judges the skating usually came first and the jumps second. But since the winners usually have both good skating and good jumping, sometimes the balance tips more toward the better jumping.
    I really think the jumps are the most important. Yes, Yuna and Mao have nice spirals and artistry, but they get the big scores and have been on top for so long because of their jumps. Yuna's jumps are massive and her 3-3 is better than most of the men, and Mao has 3a and for many years also did really difficult 3f-3lo and got it ratified. Miki and Joannie are also frequently up there because they can really jump too, but where Joannie doesn't have as much technical difficulty and Miki doesn't have as much artistry, Mao and Yuna stay at the top.

vCash
    Rachael has a stocky build, with short legs, and she is short-waisted. She is never going to look lithe and willowy like Kim or as slim as Nagasu. She is strong and healthy, and that is what matters.
    Add to that the round shoulders, short neck, and round face, and she automatically almost looks "chubby" - NOT saying that she IS. All of these features just combine as sort of an optical illusion. But when you look at her waist, she is quite thin.

I think Rachael seems to be in superb cardio shape. She never seems to be huffing and puffing near the end of her programs. I wonder, though, if she does any weight training. Some bicep/tricep and upper back definition could go a long way to dispel the misconceptions that she's not fit.

I also think a make-over in the costume and hair department could help out a lot. Before this season, I thought her styling was much too old for her. The costumes this year were better, but still not great for her body type.

The other problem for me is that Rachael seems to skate from her head and not so much from her heart. She looks like she is doing what she's been told to do in her programs, but I don't see much interpretation from her. Yes, she's solid and doesn't make me nervous when she skates, but she's also not very exciting and doesn't elicit emotion from those of us watching. She needs to figure out how to bring some of that excitement into her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If Flatt hadn't been overscored on the PCS, Wagner would have gone to Olys and Worlds.
    No. If Wagner hadn't fallen in the SP, took some time to fix her egregious flutz or opt for the 3loop instead, and not two-footed numerous jumps in the FS, she would have gone to Olys and Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    And every time someone goes on about how great Ashley Wagner is, and IF ONLY she could go to Worlds and compete there she would be rewarded, I remember that she DID go to Worlds in 2008 with Kimmie and Bebe and finished somewhere around 15th.
    At her first Worlds. A lot of skaters finish low in the standings at their first Worlds, and improve after that. It's not a "one strike and you're out" system.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I think the right two ladies represented the U.S. at the Olympics and Worlds this year.

As for Rachael's future, I think she should continue to skate -- rather than wonder how she would have done or regret not having tried. She'll get all her answers regarding skating and school soon enough by following that path.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Add to that the round shoulders, short neck, and round face, and she automatically almost looks "chubby" - NOT saying that she IS. All of these features just combine as sort of an optical illusion. But when you look at her waist, she is quite thin.

I think Rachael seems to be in superb cardio shape. She never seems to be huffing and puffing near the end of her programs. I wonder, though, if she does any weight training. Some bicep/tricep and upper back definition could go a long way to dispel the misconceptions that she's not fit.

I also think a make-over in the costume and hair department could help out a lot. Before this season, I thought her styling was much too old for her. The costumes this year were better, but still not great for her body type.

The other problem for me is that Rachael seems to skate from her head and not so much from her heart. She looks like she is doing what she's been told to do in her programs, but I don't see much interpretation from her. Yes, she's solid and doesn't make me nervous when she skates, but she's also not very exciting and doesn't elicit emotion from those of us watching. She needs to figure out how to bring some of that excitement into her skating.
    I agree. Her LP costume last year was quite flattering and the color was perfect, whereas her costumes this year are not the most flattering in fit or color. Rachael should wear more blue, it goes well with her skin and hair.
    http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/847...0A760B0D811297
    http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...ersonal003.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Glad to hear she wants to skate competitively. Wylie was attending Harvard and skating competitively at the same time. So may be Rachael can handle school and skating simultaneously? I hope she goes to Stanford. It's the best school out of the three mentioned here. She must be very bright.
    If were talking about Rachael Flatt. Is this an old thread? She already does compete. Though I sure hope at least that she never retires.

vCash
    good luck to rachel whichever way she decides.
    she can do both-she does both skating and college, she will have to work hard at both. it is her decision. lets us congratulate her on her opportunity to do both and wish her well in both endeavors.
    in skating she needs to speed up of bit.

vCash
    I would guess that with Rachel's academic and athletic achievements that she may well have some other college acceptances released on April 1st, and she'll need to make some choices.

vCash
    I think Rachael is in a great position: she can do whatever she wants. I have a feeling that she will choose whichever school works with her skating. I hope that she can see beyond that just in case she retires from skating before graduation. She needs to pick one of the schools obviously that picks her and then one that has good ice time and coaching available. She should try it for as long as she wants and then walk away with her head held high for all of the very good years of skating that she has had.

But I very strongly feel this: that the powers (judges) that be in the USFS like to anoint their champions. Thus, Alissa has had her chance, Rachael hers, even Mirai made it to the top as a baby of 14, I believe. So, I think that they will be looking to vault Ashley to the top this year or perhaps re-award Mirai. And they will either go with newer baby skaters after that or cling on to either Ashley or Mirai for Sochi 2014. The only one not mentioned here is Emily, but for her I unfortunately think she missed her mark and that, for all of the good years of skating she gave to her country, she was never in the right position at the right time to become its champion. And I also don't see another placeholder in here for Rachael--she made it this year, good for her, but I don't think it's going to happen again. It's just the system.

vCash
    Sorry, I don't see any drive on USFS's part to anoint Wagner the next US champion. She had just as good a chance as Mirai or Rachael at 2010 Nationals, and she blew it, just as she did in 2009.

If Rachael stays in, she has just as good a shot (or better) to defend her US championship than Ashley has to win her first. To my way of thinking, Ashley is reminding me of Angela Nikodinov, who was always in the mix but never quite broke out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    So, I think that they will be looking to vault Ashley to the top this year or perhaps re-award Mirai.
    If Mirai has a decent GP season, I expect her to get a 2nd national championship. Her Olympic placement, and World's short will give USFS good reason to give it to her.

(Though I prefer to think skaters earn these things...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I agree. Her LP costume last year was quite flattering and the color was perfect, whereas her costumes this year are not the most flattering in fit or color. Rachael should wear more blue, it goes well with her skin and hair.
    http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/847...0A760B0D811297
    http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...ersonal003.jpg
    That is definitely better! She needs the wider shoulder straps, like in the photos. She should never ever go strapless or wear skinny straps.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast