Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 461 to 471 of 471

Thread: Rachael's plans

  1. #461
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    532
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Yes, they are moving with her. My understanding is that they are originally from that area of southern California.
    Rachael's parents are moving back to Del Mar (near San Diego) where they used to live many years ago. Rachel will be attending Stanford University (San Francisco area), about 500 miles away. They are hardly "moving together" - they are moving at roughly the same time and will be a 10-hr drive away from each other. Rachel's dad is a high-level manager with a scientific company and is able to live anywhere in the U.S. and fly where he needs to be for work. There is no particular reason for the Flatts to stay in Colorado Springs.

  2. #462

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,543
    vCash
    265
    Rep Power
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Rachael's parents are moving back to Del Mar (near San Diego) where they used to live many years ago. Rachel will be attending Stanford University (San Francisco area), about 500 miles away. They are hardly "moving together" - they are moving at roughly the same time and will be a 10-hr drive away from each other. Rachel's dad is a high-level manager with a scientific company and is able to live anywhere in the U.S. and fly where he needs to be for work. There is no particular reason for the Flatts to stay in Colorado Springs.
    Ok, I didn't know they were moving to different places in California. My knowledge on the geography of California is sorely lacking. I thought Stanford was in southern California. BTW, I was in no way being critical or judging what the Flatts were doing and was just responding to the question posed by TheIronLady.

  3. #463
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    My knowledge on the geography of California is sorely lacking. I thought Stanford was in southern California.


    Don't worry, you aren't the only one. When I moved to California, my mom would call me, worried, every time she heard about anything bad happening anywhere in the entire state! Eventually she learned to distinguish SoCal from NorCal but even then there were a few phone calls that I had me
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  4. #464
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post


    Don't worry, you aren't the only one. When I moved to California, my mom would call me, worried, every time she heard about anything bad happening anywhere in the entire state! Eventually she learned to distinguish SoCal from NorCal but even then there were a few phone calls that I had me
    My younger brother and sister are out in California and every time there's a tremor or heaven forbid an earthquake the whole family calls them to make sure they're okay. And my brother insists he and his wife live no where near a fault line.

  5. #465
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Glad stanford doesn't start classes until late September. Gives Rachael a lot of time to get ready for next season.

  6. #466
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ulro
    Posts
    133
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Does anyone know what the minimum credit load for full time is at Stanford? My school and most of my friends' schools have a 12 credit hour minimum and classes are usually worth 4 credits. Planning a training regime around 3 or even 4 classes doesn't seem an insurmountable challenge.

  7. #467
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,120
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    Depends on the classes. If she pursues chemical engineering and lots of classes with labs, that's one thing. If she does rhetoric and communications, that's another.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  8. #468
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
    Does anyone know what the minimum credit load for full time is at Stanford? My school and most of my friends' schools have a 12 credit hour minimum and classes are usually worth 4 credits. Planning a training regime around 3 or even 4 classes doesn't seem an insurmountable challenge.
    Ok, at my school, we have a 12 unit minimum requirement to be considered "full-time," but my advisor insisted that everyone take 16 units (even if there were special circumstances).

    My best friend is a ChemE major, and she has 18 units this fall! She has class every day of the week...but most of her time isn't filled with lectures, it's filled with labs. I just counted the total number of hours per week during which she has a class/lab: 23.5. Obviously, that doesn't include things like studying or work, and Stanford is on the quarter system, which is even FASTER than the semester system my friend and I are on.

    Stanford requires 180 units to graduate, and since 12 quarters=4 years, she would need to have 5 classes/quarter if each class is worth 3 units, or 3 classes/quarter if each is worth 5 units.

    Just looking at my friend's schedule alone (since I'm not a hard science major, mine is no comparison. I actually have a pretty awesome schedule), Rachael's got her work cut out for her.

  9. #469

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,514
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7659
    I think students who are athletes do very well with busy schedules. My daughter had learned how to handle being busy by being an international test medalist in skating while still doing 3 varsity school sports and 7 APs. She stopped skating, but went on to do a double major in Economics and French at a top tier school and played a varsity sport for four years, four hours per day plus travel for matches, which fortunately were usually on weekends. She also had a lovely social life with both girlfriends and boys. She also tutored inner city kids and football players. The most challenging year was senior, doing job interviewing in the fall semester, where she was being flown or taking the train here and there and missing classes. I almost had a nervous breakdown for her. But she not only handled all this, she got offers as well, and she had a very nice resume, employers love kids who can handle busy lives. And it is all about the end result, doing well in life, isn't it?

    For Rachael, a further complication might be international travel, but she is mature enough to discuss same with her professors and to rearrange tests or paper deadlines if needed.

    Debbie Thomas went all the way through college (with all of those science labs) and (immediately?) off to med school while still competing at the highest levels. Now that's a student. Or maybe she took a year off to cram for the med boards, some do.

    We have yet to see if Rachael will compete this or any of the next four years (or five or six if she waters down her schedule, there's no penalty in that). She might even go to school in summer to fit in labs, that's common, and she could still skate then too. Hopefully, she will also be able to fit in summer employment. Or maybe she will get to school and say about skating, I have done enough, I have done my best, and she might quit and become the best engineer or doctor. I think a lot of what will happen will be off the cuff, not planned. And lucky her for having the skills and brains to figure it all out.

    I am sure Rachael will be fine.

  10. #470
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I think students who are athletes do very well with busy schedules. My daughter had learned how to handle being busy by being an international test medalist in skating while still doing 3 varsity school sports and 7 APs. She stopped skating, but went on to do a double major in Economics and French at a top tier school and played a varsity sport for four years, four hours per day plus travel for matches, which fortunately were usually on weekends. She also had a lovely social life with both girlfriends and boys. She also tutored inner city kids and football players. The most challenging year was senior, doing job interviewing in the fall semester, where she was being flown or taking the train here and there and missing classes. I almost had a nervous breakdown for her. But she not only handled all this, she got offers as well, and she had a very nice resume, employers love kids who can handle busy lives. And it is all about the end result, doing well in life, isn't it?

    For Rachael, a further complication might be international travel, but she is mature enough to discuss same with her professors and to rearrange tests or paper deadlines if needed.

    Debbie Thomas went all the way through college (with all of those science labs) and (immediately?) off to med school while still competing at the highest levels. Now that's a student. Or maybe she took a year off to cram for the med boards, some do.

    We have yet to see if Rachael will compete this or any of the next four years (or five or six if she waters down her schedule, there's no penalty in that). She might even go to school in summer to fit in labs, that's common, and she could still skate then too. Hopefully, she will also be able to fit in summer employment. Or maybe she will get to school and say about skating, I have done enough, I have done my best, and she might quit and become the best engineer or doctor. I think a lot of what will happen will be off the cuff, not planned. And lucky her for having the skills and brains to figure it all out.

    I am sure Rachael will be fine.
    Thank you Lacey.

    But will we be fine?

  11. #471
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Debbie took a brief respite from her studies at Stanford in 1988 to prepare for the Olympics and graduated from Stanford with a degree in engineering in 1991.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •