Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachael's plans

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I think that would be a smart move. Test the waters before diving into whichever option she chooses.
    Yeah, I mean I think she has a pretty good shot at making the World Team next year, but after that it will likely be tougher, especially if she goes to college full time which it sounds like she wants to. If she ends up taking a year off, it could be smart, and if she doesn't do better with the extra time to train it probably means she's past her peak and she'll realize that and go to college with no regrets, but if she has a great season then taking the year off would be worth it. Agnes and Gao are promising but Rachael with good skates could probably edge them out for a spot at Worlds this coming year while they are still so young, and between her and Ashley she does have better consistency, so if she makes the team, she has a another shot, and if she doesn't, she can look forward to college and starting a new chapter in her life.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Rachael Q&A in the Denver Post:
    http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_14940708
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-24-2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: To fix article link

vCash
    Rachael's prom is tomorrow too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Who's coaching in Simsbury, CT these days? That's about an hour from New Haven, I think.
    Not exactly a hot bed of elite skater coaching these days. The commute from New Haven to Simsbury is probably more than an hour depending upon the time of day/traffic

vCash
    Don't the Kerrs skate at a rink very near Princeton? Maybe there is a good coach there who Rachael could work with.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Per FSOnline's twitter, Rachael picked Stanford. Congrats to her, great school!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Stanford is great, but where will she train?
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From her Q&A in the Denver Post (link above):
    ... Graduation is in about a month, and then it will be time for new programs with my choreographer, Lori Nichol. I am planning on competing through college, and I am finalizing my college decision this week. I am also thinking about deferring for a year. In two years? I suspect I will be in college somewhere (one coast or the other ... I need the ocean nearby!). And I'll still be training!

vCash
    I bet Debbi Thomas had a huge influence over her decision, and rightly so as Debbie has done so well with her life after skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Stanford is great, but where will she train?
    San Jose maybe?

vCash
    Is Christy Ness ( Yamaguchi's coach) in that area?

vCash
    http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...rd-university/

Rachael Flatt is the real deal when it comes to student athletes. The 2010 U.S. Champion will enter Stanford University in fall 2011, a year after graduating Summa Cum Laude from Cheyenne Mountain High School in Colorado Springs, Colo.

vCash
    So, she is going to defer. Well, it will be interesting to see how she does next year without spending time at/on school.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    So, she is going to defer. Well, it will be interesting to see how she does next year without spending time at/on school.
    She probably needs time to adequately shop for a new coach and training facility. Stanford has to start in September or so, so if she moved immediately after high school graduation, she'd still only have a few months to adjust to the whole new life before the GP season. Smart decision from that aspect.

vCash
    Interesting that she is waiting a year, I wonder if she'll end up regretting it. So will she stay with Tom for the next season or switch coaches now in order to be adjusted when she goes to college?

vCash
    Congratulations to Rachael!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Congratulations to Rachael! Cheers for Debi, too, who must be thrilled! Taking a year off to skate full-time will give her a chance to experience that, and then she'll probably be able to look forward to college even more.

vCash
    Congrats to the budding biologist, following in her parents footsteps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Congratulations to Rachael! Cheers for Debi, too, who must be thrilled! Taking a year off to skate full-time will give her a chance to experience that, and then she'll probably be able to look forward to college even more.
    Forgive my denseness (density??), but what does Debi have to do with Rachael, other than the Stanford connection? I thought RF's mentor was Dorothy Hammill??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    Forgive my denseness (density??), but what does Debi have to do with Rachael, other than the Stanford connection? I thought RF's mentor was Dorothy Hammill??
    Th 'connection' is rather weak, just that Debi became a Doctor after her skating career was over (actually she's a gynecologist, but this is her lunch hour), and it's pretty well given that Rachael will become a biologist.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast