Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Rachael's plans

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I think at least go blonde or dark... the in between colour is less that inspiring.
    Black dresses would be good. Not everyone has Cohen's frame, but with a better cut and darker colours, Rachel would look a lot slimmer.
    I always thought she might look good with darker hair, maybe this color or this color. Because she is pale with a slight peachy color, that color of blonde Rachael has washes her out completely. I think something darker with a little color would create a nice contrast with her skin...and it'd definitely make her stand out more.

And I agree, she needs to grow her hair back now. That cut she has works nice for everyday wear; but the wind-blown soccer mom look isn't very appealing on the ice...

vCash
    ^ love your thought about the hair color.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Considering the score Rachael got for he step sequence base value 3.9, goe 1.85---the highest of the ladies---I don't think she is going to want to mess around with it. Evidently the judges didn't mind the bees!!! lol
    I think it helped her IN score, too. My interpretation is that she's in happily in Eden in a sunny dress, but those pesky bees ,having mistaken her for the world's biggest sunflower, are chasing her to go East!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am intrigued by the idea of a darker hair color as well.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I want to know who her coach is. She should have found one by now. The suspense is killing me.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    I want to know who her coach is. She should have found one by now. The suspense is killing me.
    I'm sure she'll let us know when she wants to let us know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I think it helped her IN score, too. My interpretation is that she's in happily in Eden in a sunny dress, but those pesky bees ,having mistaken her for the world's biggest sunflower, are chasing her to go East!

vCash
    Considering the score Rachael got for the step sequence base value 3.9, goe 1.85---the highest of the ladies---I don't think she is going to want to mess around with it. Evidently the judges didn't mind the bees!!! lol
    ;-) Just to revisit the Ladies step sequence (bees or not, LOL!) video montage from 2011 Worlds, Leonova (2.44 pts), V. Helgesson, J. Helgesson, Korpi, Czisny, Vanut, Hecken, Makarova, Gedevanishvili, Murakami, Phaneul, Asada, Kostner, Ando, Kim, thru Flatt (5.76).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LcatX5L7k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Y'know. I've never belonged to a board so creative in its snarkiness It's why I love it here ...

vCash
    Jesus, and some wonder why there are those who question that fs is a sport (hair color discussion).

FunnyBut, lol maybe some bee repellant will help. lmao

vCash
    FunnyBut, lol maybe some bee repellant will help. lmao
    Good suggestion. She might be allergic to bees, hence the spastic arms and hands.

vCash
    ^....and she is probably slightly hunched over in her effort to make herself smaller and thus skate UNDER the swarm! Totally makes sense now.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    ;-) Just to revisit the Ladies step sequence (bees or not, LOL!) video montage from 2011 Worlds, Leonova (2.44 pts), V. Helgesson, J. Helgesson, Korpi, Czisny, Vanut, Hecken, Makarova, Gedevanishvili, Murakami, Phaneul, Asada, Kostner, Ando, Kim, thru Flatt (5.76).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LcatX5L7k
    That was really helpful -- but it reminded me of why I HATE the new definition for what constitutes a step sequence. For the most part, they've lost all the passion and excitement that a great step sequence could add to a program. I can see why Flatt's was the best -- but why did Hecken and Makarova earn the same score? I thought Ksenia's moved a lot better than Sarah's did.

(And boy do I miss some of the powerful step sequences from women in the past, where you'd hear the crowd roar as one would finish.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    (And boy do I miss some of the powerful step sequences from women in the past, where you'd hear the crowd roar as one would finish.)
    For me, the thing that destroys new ones is that skaters get points for hunching over, leaning, and other strange body positions. The 6.0 ones were spectacular when they built speed across the ice. Slute's one foot full length sequences come to mind. Can't do that today as it would leave too many points on the table.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I can see why Flatt's was the best -- but why did Hecken and Makarova earn the same score? I thought Ksenia's moved a lot better than Sarah's did.
    Interesting question (but nothing to do with Rachael's plans, oh well)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf

Both earned level 3.

Makarova got eight +1s for her step sequence and one +2.
    Hecken got eight +1s and one 0.

After trimming the high and low scores, they each end up with all 1s.

Two judges thought there was enough of a difference in Makarova's favor to give a higher GOE for that element (2 vs. 1 or 1 vs. 0). The rest may or may not have seen a difference, but with only a narrow range of GOEs to use for most of the good but not exceptional step sequences, there wasn't much room to reflect that difference. Or did you think either of those sequences should have earned lower than 0 or higher than +2?

But there's another place where moving across the ice well can be rewarded.

Makarova did earn considerably higher component marks. My guess is that the skating skills demonstrated in the step sequence contributed especially to the Skating Skills component. Ditto, perhaps, for the Interpretation.

A point in Hecken's favor that might have helped her earn all those +1s: She put the one-foot section at the end of the sequence. Unlike most skaters who use the one-foot option, she couldn't use speed from preceding power stroking to carry her through the one-foot section. What speed she had there, and it was actually better than the more complicated earlier steps, was all generated by steps within the sequence and by the edge changes and turns within the one-foot section.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    The 6.0 ones were spectacular when they built speed across the ice. Slute's one foot full length sequences come to mind. Can't do that today as it would leave too many points on the table.
    The technical demands limit the performative aspect of step sequences.

But it's not like "in the good old days," it was much different.

The majority were nothing special, the minority were outstanding. That is the way things go and that is still so today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The majority were nothing special, the minority were outstanding.
    If they were all outstanding, they wouldn't stand out.

vCash
    Pardon me if I missed the explanation in this thread, but is it true Rachael's whole family is moving to CA with her?

If true, this makes me think she and her forminable mother are quite serious about sticking it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Pardon me if I missed the explanation in this thread, but is it true Rachael's whole family is moving to CA with her?

If true, this makes me think she and her forminable mother are quite serious about sticking it out.
    Yes, they are moving with her. My understanding is that they are originally from that area of southern California.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Stanford is in NorCal though.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast