Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachael's plans

Title-less
    vCash

Rachael's plans

According to Sarah and Drew:

Rachael has been accepted to Stanford, UCLA and University of Denver so far.

Rachael: “I may defer for a year from college so I can continue to skate competitively. I hope to make that decision in the coming weeks."

http://twitter.com/sarahanddrew

I'd love to see what she could do in skating without school. That said, I recall the Manleywoman's podcast on Debi Thomas and she said she was so used to juggling school and skating, when she finally just focused on skating it was a tough mental transition for her.

Good luck to Rachael whatever she chooses
    Last edited by jlai; 03-27-2010 at 08:55 PM.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Yes, but it worked well for Matt Savoie!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I hope she just goes to college and remember her competitive skating career fondly. She was a US champ and an Olympian. I'm not sure she could ever repeat as either. She's a sweet girl, very academically oriented, it's time for her to major in math and forget about skating. IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    I hope she just goes to college and remember her competitive skating career fondly. She was a US champ and an Olympian. I'm not sure she could ever repeat as either. She's a sweet girl, very academically oriented, it's time for her to major in math and forget about skating. IMO.
    I disagree with that. She isn't as good as Mirai, but she's arguably the second best US lady. I know everyone gets sick of hearing about her consistency, but it is a huge competitive advantage. She's also only seventeen, so she does still have some time to grow as a skater. I think it's too early to write her off.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    And Paul Wylie!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I disagree with that. She isn't as good as Mirai, but she's arguably the second best US lady. I know everyone gets sick of hearing about her consistency, but it is a huge competitive advantage. She's also only seventeen, so she does still have some time to grow as a skater. I think it's too early to write her off.
    As much as I'm not a fan, I agree. If she wants to keep going, good for her.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I hope she takes the rest of her school year, has a good time as a senior, relaxes, and then makes a decision based on what she really wants in her heart.

I usually don't call for skaters to change coaches, but in two cases I do think a new coach would make a difference. She is one.

Good Luck to Rachael!

vCash
    Glad to hear she wants to skate competitively. Wylie was attending Harvard and skating competitively at the same time. So may be Rachael can handle school and skating simultaneously? I hope she goes to Stanford. It's the best school out of the three mentioned here. She must be very bright.

fragrance free
    vCash
    If she wants to skate then I hope she does. The people I know who deferred college for a year or two did not regret doing so.

vCash
    I hope she goes to UCLA. ;P

Isn't it possible in the US to get an "individual schedule" of sorts so that you take less classes and spread them out over more years for example, so that you can still train and compete?

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    And Paul Wylie!
    I was originally commenting on Rachael's option of deferring college and how suddenly focusing on skating and not having school may not work for some so very used to juggling between two things. Are you saying that focusing on skating and not school works for some?
    Sounds like you guys are saying school and skating works together.
    Last edited by jlai; 03-27-2010 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    After these Olympics and Worlds, the writing's on the wall if she chooses to continue. She should run straight to college full-time. Saying that she's still clearly the #2 American lady going forward is not true; with two spots next year and one ostensibly going to Mirai, I don't see Rachael being gifted the PCS to grab the second one with the junior talent coming up-- Gao, Agnes-- and the more naturally talented and potentially higher-scoring Ashley Wagner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Isn't it possible in the US to get an "individual schedule" of sorts so that you take less classes and spread them out over more years for example, so that you can still train and compete?
    You can take internet based classes and even written correspondence, but most view that as not being the same as a "real" classroom based setting.

With the emphasis Rachel has put on academics, I expect she wants the "real" college experience, and even more likely will have a lab-based major, so she'd need to be in person, regular attendence.

As for number of classes- some schools require a full load, others will let you just take 1 class at a time and still be degree seeking. I expect the programs she's in expect at least a half-load. She didn't apply to slacker schools

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

That's something that an individual can opt to. Skaters can choose to do part-time and online classes. I'm not sure how it's done with other schools but in NY public universities, part time is three classes at most (at least one). Regardless of how schools decide what part time is, depending on the graduation requirements, doing part-time will delay graduation because you are taking less class. Colleges usually recommend a minimum of credits to take (full-time) to graduate within the four years; that is if you're intending to seek a degree with a 4yr track.

However, if you're really hands on with school activities, like Rachael, you can't get the "full" college experience if you're not there attending full time classes and living in the dorms. Both can be important to Rachael; the college experience and competitive skating but balancing them out successfully is a rare feat to accomplish. Deferring is only good for a certain amount of time because the college can choose to withdraw their acceptance for an individual if they keep holding it off.
    Last edited by Indra486; 03-27-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: ETA: Skittl beat me to it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    ...However, if you're really hands on with school activities, like Rachael, you can't get the "full" college experience if you're not there attending full time classes and living in the dorms. ...
    Speaking as someone that thoroughly "enjoyed" my college days, it would be pretty hard to balance full time skating, full time studying, and full time socializing. My fear would be that the socializing would not get enough attention.

I joke, but college has fond memories. Even all-night study sessions with friends and cold pizza can put a smile on my face. It was a fun time in life!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    After these Olympics and Worlds, the writing's on the wall if she chooses to continue. She should run straight to college full-time. Saying that she's still clearly the #2 American lady going forward is not true; with two spots next year and one ostensibly going to Mirai, I don't see Rachael being gifted the PCS to grab the second one with the junior talent coming up-- Gao, Agnes-- and the more naturally talented and potentially higher-scoring Ashley Wagner.
    Sorry to harp on this again, but Rachael still is the most consistent out of the skaters you've mentioned. As far as her scoring, she receives fairly high marks. In fact, she was overscored at nationals, in my opinion. Even though I like Ashley a lot more, Rachael has done much better in competition.

As far as Gao and Agnes, I definitely think they have the potential to overtake her. But at this time, they don't rank higher than Rachael.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I dont think Wagner has yet done anything to prove she is better than Flatt. She could be better than Flatt but hasnt been yet other than the 2008 Nationals where I think Wagner was robbed majorly. Gao is definitely not close to Flatt in ability right now. Agnes has alot of potential but who knows how she will be viewed as a new senior her first year.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Consistency counts for nothing when you have to be perfect to get even a semi-decent place. Rachael cannot afford even the slightest mistake or reduction in content to stay even top six. She is not a "big GOE" skater, and it's not going to be easy for her to become one.

She skated perfect Olympic programs and ended up 7th. At Worlds, ninth with only one real mistake over both programs. Anyone else with that content in either event would have been on the podium for sure. That's very telling in how the judges perceive her skating overall.

I've been trying to decide for a couple of years if Rachael was a Sarah Hughes in the making or a Tonia Kwiatkowski in the making. This seals the deal for me; she's a Tonia, the nice, smart girl who can be sent to Worlds if there are no better options, but the girl who's never going to win a medal and will be passed over in a second if a skater with a real chance comes along.

I like Rachael's skating but don't see much hope in continuing for any reason other than sheer love of the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    She skated perfect Olympic programs and ended up 7th. At Worlds, ninth with only one real mistake over both programs. Anyone else with that content in either event would have been on the podium for sure. That's very telling in how the judges perceive her skating overall.
    Her Olympic free skate wasn't perfect - two of her jumps were downgraded. At Worlds, she didn't do her planned triple/triple in either program and popped one of her jumps.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Is Agnes expected to skate senior next season? I thought she'd do a year on the JGP?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast