Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

SYTYCD Pre-Season 7 thread: CASTING SPOILERS

It doesn't start for awhile, but there's some changes this season and Nigel has been periodically tweeting them.

This Season will not have a top 20.
    The partners will change every single week.
    Only one dancer will leave the competition each week and not two.

Apparently there are still more to come. Thoughts?

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    How can they not have a Top 20? Unless maybe its a Top 24 or Top 18 or something simple like that?

And how can only one dancer leave each week? They have to be even numbers to have partners? So someone dances without a partner or gets a pass the next week or something?

Although I don't mind the switching partners every week. But not a random draw because there's still a chance you don't have to switch. I would like to see them rotate partners each week so that you never dance with the same person twice.

But I'm very . Can we just end American Idol now and start SYTYCD next week?

That reminds me ... Billy Bell (that was his name, right? Kid who made the Top 20 this past season but got sick before the start of competition?). He gets a pass to this season, right? Where does he pick up? Does he have to go to Vegas rounds again, automatic spot on the show, or what? I don't remember.

Clueless American
    vCash
    I read something about them maybe doing trios or other configurations so they wouldn't need it to be two out each week. But I don't know if that was just someone's idea of how it would work. I do like the partners changing each week.

vCash
    If I remember correctly, Billy Bell makes it automatically to the Las Vegas top 100.

vCash
    Billy's just started his own dance company in NYC and his Bio refers to him as SYTYCD alum, so I'm thinking he's decided not to pursue Season 7.

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash

vCash
    Another one..

The competitors will no longer choose their genres of dance. I'll explain everything before the SYTYCD Press Conference on Monday!

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DustPuppyOI View Post
    What welcome news! I certainly hope Alex Wong will return to the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Another one..

The competitors will no longer choose their genres of dance. I'll explain everything before the SYTYCD Press Conference on Monday!
    I was never under the impression that the dancers were the ones choosing their genres.

The change that I'd love to see them announce is that they will no longer choose and promote a dancer based on things other than their dance ability and performances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    The change that I'd love to see them announce is that they will no longer choose and promote a dancer based on things other than their dance ability and performances.
    That would be lovely wouldn't it? Dream on!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    Billy's just started his own dance company in NYC and his Bio refers to him as SYTYCD alum, so I'm thinking he's decided not to pursue Season 7.
    Wasn't he only like 17 years old? Or maybe I just don't remember right. How do you start your own dance company anyway? What does that entail and what do you do with that? Just wondering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I was never under the impression that the dancers were the ones choosing their genres.

What do you mean? Sometimes I don't understand all the little insider things that are going on during the run like you folks who are in dance circles talk about. I just watch cause I like it (and am extremely jealous I can't dance even a tiny fraction of a fractin of a fraction of a bit like those kids). So whadday mean?

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    :So whadday mean?
    I just mean that it annoys me no end when they clearly pass over better dancers for the cute young things and then promote them (despite their relatively weaker performances) because they are so darn perky and cute. (Remember how Mollee and her partner were chosen and then treated?) And it drives me crazy when they reject someone based on personality or criticize someone based on perceived personality or character and therefore hurt their chances of staying in the competition as long as they deserve to. Danny is the most glaring example. But, there have been plenty of other examples.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    I read something about them maybe doing trios or other configurations so they wouldn't need it to be two out each week. But I don't know if that was just someone's idea of how it would work.
    I would love for this to happen - hopefully it would free up the gender assignments of the dances - there is so much more to dance (especially modern contemporary than boy/girl duos.

Wasn't he only like 17 years old? Or maybe I just don't remember right. How do you start your own dance company anyway? What does that entail and what do you do with that? Just wondering.
    Well, really, just by coming up with a name and auditioning your choreography under that name you can start a company. you can either establish a business under that name or use it at a D/B/A. someone further along in the careeer (or just damned confident) may want to establish their company with a big splash, get non-profit status, hire dancers officially, establish a home base, but all that takes a lot of capital. but anyone can start a dance company and grow it into something larger if it is successful.

What do you mean? Sometimes I don't understand all the little insider things that are going on during the run like you folks who are in dance circles talk about. I just watch cause I like it (and am extremely jealous I can't dance even a tiny fraction of a fractin of a fraction of a bit like those kids). So whadday mean?
    insider? since the beginning of this show people have opined in the SYTYCD threads that the producers choose the dances for the performers and only put one slip into the hat that they "choose" from. Does anyone really think the choices have been accidental?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    I read something about them maybe doing trios or other configurations so they wouldn't need it to be two out each week. But I don't know if that was just someone's idea of how it would work.
    I would love for this to happen - hopefully it would free up the gender assignments of the dances - there is so much more to dance (especially modern contemporary than boy/girl duos.

Well, really, just by coming up with a name and auditioning your choreography under that name you can start a company. you can either establish a business under that name or use it at a D/B/A. someone further along in the careeer (or just damned confident) may want to establish their company with a big splash, get non-profit status, hire dancers officially, establish a home base, but all that takes a lot of capital. but anyone can start a dance company and grow it into something larger if it is successful.

insider? since the beginning of this show people have opined in the SYTYCD threads that the producers choose the dances for the performers and only put one slip into the hat that they "choose" from. Does anyone really think the selections have been accidental?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    So, Nigel has tweeted more information. The contestants will be paired with dancers from past seasons. If they bring back Mollee, I am going to be really annoyed. I'm guessing Travis, Lauren, Dmitri, and Lacey will be there. Not sure how I feel about this format change, but I definitely don't like his statement that America will vote and one of the bottom three will go home. It sounds like Nigel and his folks will get to decide who goes home every week. I don't like that all. The person with the lowest number of votes should go home. The judges and producers already do far too much to manipulate the results.

vCash
    I'm not sure Lacey will be there. I seem to remember once she was on DWTS she had quite a few nasty things to say about SYTYCD.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Scroll down for the format changes/press release:

http://www.sytycdism.com/

Maybe this is a way to give some extra work to some of the S6 dancers since they didn't get a tour.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Some of that is good news:

-I like the idea of seeing the old dancers again. With DWTS the pros don't disappear after one season, and I always hated that about SYTYCD.

-Mary as a permanent judge was just too much and I'm thrilled to see her doing choreography again.

-Mia is back.

I don't know that I like the thought that the "all star" dancers will always be doing their own style. That's probably best for someone like Artem or Twitch (random example, I'm not saying they're on the show) but I thought Lacey was just as good at contemporary and hip-hop as ballroom, so I wouldn't want a dancer like her pigeonholed like that.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast