Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Duck Hunter
    vCash

Songs for Earth Hour..

Okay so as you all know Earth Hour is on Saturday and we're supposed to turn out all the lights at 8:30 PM for an hour. So I figure we'll light some candles, put on some good mood music (an ipod and some portable speakers of course.. no electricity) and take advantage of the darkness . I need a playlist though. So far I have a few of my favourites:

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
    Something - from the Across the Universe Soundtrack
    If I Fell - from the Across the Universe Soundtrack

See.. a lot of our friends have announced pregnancies the past few months, so we're both kind of having a bit of baby envy the past little while. I figure this is a good way to snap us out of it and make us appreciate the fact that we don't have kids yet

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have dinner reservations, I hope they aren't observing this ridiculous idea during our dinner. I know, shame on me, but we turn our lights off every night when we go to bed and when we leave the house. What the hell do I need to do it for an extra hour in the middle of the day for? Flame away...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    So do we.. I think it's just supposed to make a statement of some sort. Whatever.. I don't imagine restaurants will shut everything down in the middle of their dinner hour so I don't think you have to worry

vCash
    "Safe" (Canon Song) by Yes-bassist Chris Squire.

vCash
    We are doing Earth Hour at work. The Sustainability Coordinator is going into work and turning the lights off. She is also going around and checking who has turned their computers off and if they have she will leave a chocolate frog on their desk.

However she wasn't at work today. So we switched her monitor back on (not her computer only her monitor). Naughty I know but it will be interesting to see if she notices.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I was at a restaurant the first year this happened - they dimmed the lights to the minimum you need to still be able to see and get around safely, but everything was business as usual otherwise.

vCash
    The organization I work for participated in Earth Hour last year by shutting down their website (the buildings were also closed and lights were off).

It was supposed to read "EARTH HOUR" and include a clock.

Something obviously happened because the website failed to shut down until the last 5 minutes of the Hour So the running joke is we had our Earth Minute

I'm hoping they have fixed it for this year...
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I have dinner reservations, I hope they aren't observing this ridiculous idea during our dinner. I know, shame on me, but we turn our lights off every night when we go to bed and when we leave the house. What the hell do I need to do it for an extra hour in the middle of the day for? Flame away...
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    I was at a restaurant the first year this happened - they dimmed the lights to the minimum you need to still be able to see and get around safely, but everything was business as usual otherwise.
    This happened to us, too. It was kind of nice, actually, to have the lights dimmed. Maybe if they do the same, BigB088, it won't be so bad.

vCash
    "Turn Out The Lights" by Teddy Pendergrass.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    So I figure we'll light some candles, put on some good mood music (an ipod and some portable speakers of course.. no electricity) and take advantage of the darkness .
    Sounds like a great atmosphere to make babies.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Haha there will be no babies being made unless someone has switched my bc with sugar pills

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I'm working Sat night for Earth Hour. I wonder how vented patients would feel about the vent just being turned off for one hour, in the spirit of going green? (of course, they would be going blue instead, but hey, it's a color, right?)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    they may have a problem with that..

vCash
    I think the whole idea behind Earth Hour was for people AT HOME to use no electricity. It's nice if businesses do it, but I wouldn't expect anyone to do so.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    We participated last year at work. We just told all the guests that we would be turning as many lights out in the buildings as was safe and invited them down to sit by the fireplace outside and roast marshmallows for an hour. It actually worked out well. If it was the middle of summer it wouldn't have but we're not overly busy at this time of year.

vCash
    So I figure we'll light some candles, put on some good mood music (an ipod and some portable speakers of course.. no electricity) and take advantage of the darkness
    You do realize that using your ipod means you will have to charge it beforehand, which uses up energy, correct? And you also realize that portable speakers have batteries in them, which uses up energy?

I realize that it's an unpopular opinion but I think that Earth Hour is a ridiculous idea. But if you're going to do it, at least do it right.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Holy crap.. chill. First of all my portable speakers don't have batteries in them.. they plug into my Ipod the same way a pair of headphones would. And my Ipod is already charged because it's been sitting on my stereo for the past week.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Not that I'm a basketball fan (cause I'm not) but isn't the big college basketball games on Saturday night? Is that really a good time to have people turn off all their electric at home when they are watching that tournament thing? I know many people who would like ..... not.

vCash
    Holy crap.. chill. First of all my portable speakers don't have batteries in them.. they plug into my Ipod the same way a pair of headphones would. And my Ipod is already charged because it's been sitting on my stereo for the past week.
    Um, you'll still be using the energy, and have to replace it, lol.

I'd had the exact same thought, but I'm cranky about Earth Hour. I think it's idiotic, and we're well past the "awareness" that it brings. How about enough Earth Days to form a habit... Earth Month? Isn't it something like 20-25 days to form a habit?

I'm extra cranky due to what I've been reading lately... No Impact Man, Sleeping Naked is Green, etc. Damn you reading!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Not that I'm a basketball fan (cause I'm not) but isn't the big college basketball games on Saturday night? Is that really a good time to have people turn off all their electric at home when they are watching that tournament thing? I know many people who would like ..... not.
    This initiative originated in Australia, so I don't think they were too worried about March Madness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast