Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JillyBean16 View Post
    If I was a skater I would want to hang up my skates after reading some of these posts.

How can anyone say that a skater who has reached the level that these kids have has 'zero' anything???? As a fan, I sat through Canadians and was so inspired by the depth that there seemed to be, in pairs especially. I can honestly say that I never once thought about a skaters' toe point or whether or not they looked like a truck driver or whether or not they sucked because they lacked consistency. I did however think WOW how awesome are these skaters. How amazing that they have the courage to do what they are doing.
    I was in London, too, and I agree that it was great to see lots of confident senior pairs teams, each with their own style, putting on a great show.

But when teams reach this level, people begin to look at their international potential, and look at what it would take for them to get podium results at senior Grand Prixs. And that's where the comments and criticisms (often constructive, although not always phrased as such) come in.

If teams are happy with success at the National level (and that is a great achievement in itself) then they needn't worry about the comments. If they want international success, there's more work to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    I was in London, too, and I agree that it was great to see lots of confident senior pairs teams, each with their own style, putting on a great show.

But when teams reach this level, people begin to look at their international potential, and look at what it would take for them to get podium results at senior Grand Prixs. And that's where the comments and criticisms (often constructive, although not always phrased as such) come in.

If teams are happy with success at the National level (and that is a great achievement in itself) then they needn't worry about the comments. If they want international success, there's more work to do.
    Don't you think that the teams know where improvement is needed? I would think that they're working on it. I really hope that they don't read these sites!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JillyBean16 View Post
    Don't you think that the teams know where improvement is needed? I would think that they're working on it. I really hope that they don't read these sites!
    These sites aren't for the skaters, they're for the fans. And the fans can talk about all this stuff because this is what is interesting to the Fans.

IMO, if a skater comes in here at all, he/she should know what to expect and not get upset that there's (gasp!) criticism.

vCash
    Maybe Fedor Andreev can go back to his old idea of skating pairs? There just may be a spot on an Olympic team for him, after all. By hook or crook!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Jones and Gaskell are training in Barrie with Lee Barkell now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice.dance.girl View Post
    If it's true - then good move. Hopefully, she'll get some ballet training. They have the tricks but zero finesse.

vCash
    Yup since wednesday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice.dance.girl View Post
    Hallelujah.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    According to Langlois facebook status, she has decided to retire ...best of luck to her and Cody in their future endeavors... they will be missed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    According to Langlois facebook status, she has decided to retire ...best of luck to her and Cody in their future endeavors... they will be missed!
    Oh noooooo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    Does anyone know if it is just Annabel or is Cody retiring as well?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

living every minute
    vCash
    Anyone have a link to the facebook page?
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Glad to hear about the Jones/Gaskell move!

Not to knock the Wirtzes - their teams are always extremely well-trained for every competition, and he seems to be able to teach ALL his teams how to a triple twist - but Jones/Gaskell did not seem to be improving all that much. At least not in their second mark.

I agree I wish more teams would train with Barkell. Not sure why he isn't really building his pairs school. His teams always seem to have the classic/balletic look that (rightly or wrongly) the International judges still seem to prefer.

vCash
    Thanks for the truck driver comment, rafter. Succinct. Saves me trying to find a diplomatic way of putting it. Kristin has got to get those shoulders down , and Kristy is not the one to teach her that...

I, too, would love to see more pairs go to Lee Barkell..Lenny and Jazz had some pretty good programs, as I remember, plus good line. Gautier also seems very good about getting some dance training for his skaters, working on line etc. I think he's done wonders for Tran and his partner ( whose name wants to elude me at the mo..), he just hasn't had the best material to work with lately.

But I can't echo strongly enough the need for ballet training ( or modern dance , or yoga ..something stretchy and strengthening)Why must it come as an afterthought, when there's a problem to correct... when it could be built into the training at a young age. I remember Skate Canada paid it some lip service in the past..but we're sure not seeing much of it on the ice. It should be a requirement, not a suggestion.

vCash
    Guess what, all the Wirtz teams are taking ballet/dance classes as well as Pilates. Not every skater is naturally balletic.

vCash
    I don't get why Kristy is not the one to teach skaters these skills. Just because she didn't excel in that area? Oh, I didn't realize Tarasova does triple axels in her sleep.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    well I'm obviously in the minority but I actually think the pairs program in Canada is in good shape. The novice and junior pairs at Canadians were looking very good and our senior results speak for themselves.

IMHO Kris & Kristy are good at developing a well packaged pair team, or any team for that fact.. however I agree about the lack of flexibility in Kristen's back.. but she had that as a singles skater too - but as long as they are working on it I think this team can do well, they have great personalities on the ice.

Bryce and Jessie are too good to toss out - hey when they are 'off' they are like 7th in the world - when they are 'on' they are fighting for the bottom of the podium - pretty damned decent .. Now if we could reign in some of our wayward pairs skaters who are skating for other countries we would be in even better shape
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Well, I'm glad to hear that the Wirtz's pupils get ballet etc.. I hope it's enough. And it is hard to tell how much blame to pass around when the coach may not see the skaters 'til they're in their teens and some bad habits may already be set (more difficult to untrain something , than to train good habits in from a young age). However , when I see Kristin give the same automatic hitch of the shoulders leading into an element that typified Kristy's skating, and the same stiffness..it makes me suspicious. Kristy did work to improve this toward the end of her career ( after some work with a Russian coach?) but she never really overcame it. So I wonder how much importance they place on it ,whether it registers with her to the same degree as it might with another coach...Really. I'm on the west coast , I'd like to know.

Valerie Marcoux was likewise very stiff 'til Richard Gauthier took her on and it took quite a while to make a big improvement. Gauthier is very good in this respect ..He's worked wonders with Duhamel as well..but it may never be quite enough to fully compensate for the stiffness,lack of turnout that was allowed to set in in her early career.

Lee Barkell seems to always be able to develop good line and extension in his skaters... he just hasn't had many lately.

But I just shake my head when year in, year out, Bryce Davison's extension never improves ( and OT ...who keeps thinking it's OK for him to skate in rumpled street pants, with the pockets gaping.).

I'm not down on any of our upcoming pairs..I'd just like to see them realize their full potential. And it's not a matter of a balletic style versus an athletic style. An athletic style still looks better with good position.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.

vCash
    There's a contradiction if I've ever heard one! Gautier has worked wonders with Duhamel BUT why would he have to since since Meagan trained under Lee Barkell previously. If he ALWAYS is able to develop good line and extension than why did Duhamel any work at all?

The coaches/choreographers need to be given a break. They can only work with what they're given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8tingfan30 View Post
    There's a contradiction if I've ever heard one! Gautier has worked wonders with Duhamel BUT why would he have to since since Meagan trained under Lee Barkell previously. If he ALWAYS is able to develop good line and extension than why did Duhamel any work at all?

The coaches/choreographers need to be given a break. They can only work with what they're given.
    When Meagan was doing pairs under Lee her partner was Ryan Arnold who wasn't exactly the greatest - I don't think she was really able to reach her potential with him or would have improved if their partnership stayed. Also, at that time both Meagan and Ryan were doing singles as well, so I don't think Lee was able to really spend the time working on pairs with them that was required to get her there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast