Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Canadian Pairs in 2010-2011

So, now that Worlds is over, what does everyone predict will happen with the Canadian pairs scene? Will Hay look for/find a new partner or will Langlois stick with it for the 90th season of her career? How will Duhamel/Radford do? Are Lawrence/Swiegers still in the mix? Can Moore-Towers/Moscovitch surge to the podium? Will Jessica Dube regain her 3s? Should be interesting to see what transpires, no?

vCash
    From reading an article after the pairs free skate, Dube and Davison are keeping their long program for another season.

Has it been confirmed about Duhamel and Radford?

What about Mylene and John?

Rudi and Paige were so exciting in the short program and possess some awesome throws and lifts!!!

Will be interesting to see!

vCash
    For some reason, regarding Langlois/Hay, I feel if one retires, the other one will. That's just my opinion, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit_spin View Post
    For some reason, regarding Langlois/Hay, I feel if one retires, the other one will. That's just my opinion, though.
    They are an off-ice couple, so you're probably right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadask8er View Post
    Has it been confirmed about Duhamel and Radford?
    That's what I'm wondering. AFAIK it's all speculation at this point.

vCash
    Has John Mattatall retired?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I thought that was the plan, but haven't seen any confirmation.

vCash
    I have a feeling L&H will be back next season, but maybe not all the way to Sochi. If they are, Anabelle will be 32 - not that it can't be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I have a feeling L&H will be back next season, but maybe not all the way to Sochi.
    I think so too.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    I have a feeling that Anabelle and Cody might stick around for another season or two. With the injury, they lost an entire year of competition, so it might be nice for them to have a full healthy season (or two) under their belt before retiring.

Selfishly, I want them to stay in for at least another year. LOL I feel like I need to know from the get go that it will be their last season so that I can resign myself to that fact
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I had heard that he was waiting to see where Nationals will be this year. If they are in Halifax they would stay in so they could compete on home ice. No idea if this is true or not - and I've heard Halifax is unlikely for Nats due to Canada Games being held there.

vCash
    Is Mylene Brodeur planning to retire as well, or just John Mattatall?

vCash
    IMO if Dube/Davison want to compete next season and are serious about their goals they need another coach. Aren't they the highest ranked skaters' Barabe' has? They're not training with anybody they can role model and learn from, and they're not be trained by anybody who has trained a team who routinely lands on the international podium. I'm beginning to believe they succeed despite their coaching. They need to aim way higher in GOES - whenever they post-mortem a program they're thrilled with something "basically clean". A skate that would be a satisfactory skate for another top team sends this team over the moon. They appear to have the tools and be working harmoniously but that coach has got to go or IMO they'll stay stuck. They need to set the bar so much higher so that when they have an off day they don't plummet off the podium immediately.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Confirmed splits of pairs that competed at 2010 Canadians:
    Sara Jones/Jeremy Sandor [J7] - he's listed on icepartnersearch
    Mariève Cyr/Jean-Marie Dessureault-Yesilada [J8] - she's listed

Brooke Paulin/Brian Shales - have both retired?
    Monica Pisotta/Michael Stewart - both listed on icepartnersearch.com
    Amanda Velenosi/Mark Fernandez - have both retired?
    Maddison Bird/Raymond Schultz - he's listed on icepartnersearch and turns 20 in April
    Maria Izzo/Jason Smith CAN - she's listed on icepartnersearch and is 15

Also: Trevor Young (12th in Senior Pairs at 2010 US Nationals) is listed on icepartnersearch and has dual US/Canadian citizenship.

(Should this thread be moved to GSD? We had separate Canadian, U.S. and Russian Pairs news/updates threads in GSD this season.)

vCash
    Cdn pairs is in shambles right now IMO.

Dube and Langlois are both headcases and neither team has really improved that much over the last three seasons (at least L&H have an excuse with that terrible injury Langlois suffered).

The jury is out on the alleged new pairing of Duhamel & Radford. I'm not convinced they are a good match physically or stylistically. They may be able to get the tricks down but what will international judges do with them re: PCS marks?

Moore-Towers & Moscvotich are truck drivers. Unless they are both taking several ballet classes per week and change coaches, I just don't see this team doing much on the international scene.

The only bright light I see is Kaleigh Hole, but she too needs ballet and a lot of refinement. Also who knows what will happen with her body when she grows.

All in all, not looking good for pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shallwedance View Post
    IMO if Dube/Davison want to compete next season and are serious about their goals they need another coach. Aren't they the highest ranked skaters' Barabe' has? They're not training with anybody they can role model and learn from, and they're not be trained by anybody who has trained a team who routinely lands on the international podium. I'm beginning to believe they succeed despite their coaching. They need to aim way higher in GOES - whenever they post-mortem a program they're thrilled with something "basically clean". A skate that would be a satisfactory skate for another top team sends this team over the moon. They appear to have the tools and be working harmoniously but that coach has got to go or IMO they'll stay stuck. They need to set the bar so much higher so that when they have an off day they don't plummet off the podium immediately.
    Agreed. Let's see if they're willing to make the change. The fact that they are keeping the same LP isn't encouraging.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Agreed. Let's see if they're willing to make the change. The fact that they are keeping the same LP isn't encouraging.
    Maybe Jessica can take a page from Tessa's book and try a new dress at every competition. Maybe that will make it different enough so that we forget it's last year's (very boring) music??

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Lawrence ans Sweigers have some potential, if they can get more consistent. They have the excitement factor too. I hope they do well next season- they were my faves at nationals this year.
    Last edited by cygnus; 03-30-2010 at 03:10 AM.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Lawrence ans Sweigers have some potential, if they can get more consistent. They have then excitement factor too. I hope they do well next season- they were my faves at nationals this year.
    I love their skating and was so happy that they got some good choreography this past season (their programs the season before were lifeless and a waste of a team with such personality) but I'm not sure that they'll ever get that consistency. Paige's technique on the solo triple toe is not very good, plus they really need a second triple to get into the upper echelon of skating.

I think that jumps aside, they probably have the most potential in terms of line, musicality, lift positions, and the huge throws. But they really need the jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Lawrence ans Sweigers have some potential, if they can get more consistent. They have then excitement factor too. I hope they do well next season- they were my faves at nationals this year.
    I loved them at Nationals too. They had such personality and charisma. Hope she can get the jumps.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast