Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    If you read the comments in the link, it looks like these pics are of Mara learning to ride a motorcycle, not something they're filming (I was wondering because of the lack of makeup - that was even weirder than the piercings to me). So the jacket may not be the real costume.

And while the cut/dyed hair may seem like a "duh", it would not have surprised me if the US version would have a much cuter, softer look than what is necessary for the part.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    If you read the comments in the link, it looks like these pics are of Mara learning to ride a motorcycle, not something they're filming (I was wondering because of the lack of makeup - that was even weirder than the piercings to me). So the jacket may not be the real costume.
    Right. Filming hasn't begun yet.
    And while the cut/dyed hair may seem like a "duh", it would not have surprised me if the US version would have a much cuter, softer look than what is necessary for the part.
    With what liberties Hollywood has taken with other "remakes", it wouldn't have surprised me if they had made the character a blond Bond girl type in looks.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Saw The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest last night. While this book was my favorite, I thought this was the weakest of the three movies. It completely rides on the fabulous performance by Noomi Rapace, a woman of many faces.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    going to see this in a few hours!
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Let us (or me, since we are the only ones hanging out in this thread or so it seems ) know how you like it.

Oh and so much for the don't-want-to-work-in-Hollywood talk.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-30-2010 at 11:19 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I just saw 'hornet's next' very good, but in some ways the weakest of the 3 movies. I read all 3 books, and I understand books 2 & 3 were miniseries on tv that were much longer. That would explain any weaknesses. Lots of left out, due to time, but Lisbeth's story is there. When reading the book, especially the 3rd one, I could hear Lisbeth going F#$# Blomquist. None of that in the movie, missed that. Still worth seeing!
    Last edited by smurfy; 10-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Was The Girl Who Played With Fire any good? I saw it available at the Red Box but wasn't sure if the other movies were anything as good as the Tattoo.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Yeah, I'm of two minds about the third one. I understand they had to cut out a LOT, and actually the cuts seemed cleaner in this film than the first two, but a lot of what made the series - particularly the third book - so thrilling was seeing how these very separate threads come together in the end.

The one thing I've hated in all three films is how Erika Berger is portrayed. On film she's this quivering mess, in the book she's an incredibly strong character.

I also had a tiny laugh at Lisbeth hopping back to bed during her recovery. Reminded me a bit of Cindy Brady when she was faking a foot injury
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg25R...eature=related
    (skip ahead to the 8 minute mark)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    One thing about the last movie is that it is not self-sufficient. You absolutely have to have read the books to get what's happening. Hubby who hasn't read the books but has seen the previous two movies was completely lost.

Now I am at a difficulty to say whether this applies to any other series like say, Harry Potter and if people who haven't read the books can enjoy the movies.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So agree that the cuts impact the quality of the movie.
    The other thing they left out of movie 2 & 3, which seem silly, but Lisbeth's development is the ommission of the her boob job. Seems minor, but I think it gave her confidence.
    And I totally agree, the 3rd movie, you need to have read the books. Possibly if you see all 3 movies in a row, but you need the books. Even though I knew how it would end, I still enjoyed the movies. But like the 3rd movie, as with the 3rd book, I think I was sad that the ride was coming to an end. There were so many people and knowing there were 10 planned books, I couldn't help but thnk these folks would pop up in later books and be rewarded with some cool stories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    So agree that the cuts impact the quality of the movie.
    The other thing they left out of movie 2 & 3, which seem silly, but Lisbeth's development is the ommission of the her boob job. Seems minor, but I think it gave her confidence.
    I'm actually glad they left that out of the films. It was an example of a VERY male-centric writer trying to write from a feminine perspective, and one of the weaker parts of the story.

Not that boob jobs don't give some women confidence; I just found it out of character for Lisbeth.

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    One thing about the last movie is that it is not self-sufficient. You absolutely have to have read the books to get what's happening. Hubby who hasn't read the books but has seen the previous two movies was completely lost.

Now I am at a difficulty to say whether this applies to any other series like say, Harry Potter and if people who haven't read the books can enjoy the movies.
    I enjoyed the Harry Potter movies but I haven't read the books. But then I was relatively familiar with the story before I saw the movies.
    I do plan to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before I watch the movie. I also plan on watching the original movie before I see the remake. Mostly because of reading this thread and hearing how good the movie is.

Just me
    vCash
    I've read all three books and seen the first two movies. I'm impatient for the third to hit video so I can see that, too. I have my doubts I'll get as lucky with the third as I did with the second and be able to see it on the big screen.

I'm not completely sure any of the movies make complete sense if you haven't read the books, but I can't judge that accurately since I have read them.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I saw one of our board members at the 2nd movie - found out later that she hasn't read the books. She said she had to see the 2nd movie twice and was still confused.

The third one felt more linear, like someone who had seen the other 2 films but hadn't read the books might have an easier time understanding the plot. I mean, there's a lot they wouldn't get, but it seemed like they'd get a complete story - just not the entire one from the book. Of course, having read the books, I could be completely wrong.

vCash
    Well I haven't read the books but I saw the first one and thought it made sense. I didn't have any trouble following it, to be honest. However, now I wonder if I should see the 2nd one (it is streaming on Netflix) or read the books first. Hmm...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The first image of the American version! She looks good, not too different from the original. Also talks about why a couple of other actresses were passed over:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...t_look_of.html

I love that David Fincher is doing this, he usually does quite well. I just watched The Social Network last night so his name finally means something to me.
    -Brian

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Noomi is much prettier IMO, better bone structure. The most important thing is, of course, is she going to be a good Salander?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    And they wonder why we cringe at the Americanized remake? The writer really thinks he has a better ending? W Magazine "Changes it in crucial ways"???? WHY?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DubbalinGirl View Post
    And they wonder why we cringe at the Americanized remake? The writer really thinks he has a better ending? W Magazine "Changes it in crucial ways"???? WHY?
    WHAT??????????

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Noomi is much prettier IMO, better bone structure. The most important thing is, of course, is she going to be a good Salander?
    Well, for this character the look is pretty darned important - and I am relieved at the photo (even though the pose is silly). I think this Salander will be believable.

Quote Originally Posted by DubbalinGirl View Post
    Ok, them's fightin' words

Taking the optomist's POV, look at The Bourne Identity films. I loved those books as a teen, and the films make some major departures in the storyline, starting with the very first one. But they are still good films. Of course, it had been a decade since I'd read the last book when the first film came out, and as I learned with the fifth Harry Potter movie, distance from the source material can be a crucial part of enjoying a book adaptation.

OTOH ---- WTF?!?!?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast