Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    could be worse, could be Miley Ray Montana
    there's that silver lining

Is Daniel Radcliffe playing a baby Hitler here?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Mulligan is a lovely actress. (We BBC drama fanatics discovered her long before Hollywood did. ) But I can certainly see how this might not be the right role for her.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Mulligan is a lovely actress. (We BBC drama fanatics discovered her long before Hollywood did. ) But I can certainly see how this might not be the right role for her.
    I am sure she is. I just don't think she is physically the right woman for the job. She is going to have to say good bye to those round cheeks and healthy body weight.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    there's that silver lining

Is Daniel Radcliffe playing a baby Hitler here?
    No, although it does look like it. That was a pretty good film, actually. I saw it a few months ago.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Bumping this thread because saw the 2nd movie last night.

It was pretty good, although so much went unexplained that I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the books not being thoroughly confused. The final scene was changed in a way that made no sense but will affect the way the third movie starts.

Spoiler

In other news, my friend said she read someone in Hollywood is trying to buy the rights to separate the character of Lisbeth Salander from the books, so there can be a franchise, a la James Bond. please no..........
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    ah nice didn't realize the second movie was coming out that soon.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    The first movie is now out on DVD and on Netflix streaming in the USA.

I think I'm going to wait to see the second movie on DVD based on genevieve's description.

vCash
    I have read all 3 books, and saw the 1st and 2nd movie. Yes they movies leave a lot out, but overall very good book to movies. I enjoyed all the books and the 2 movies.
    Some of the differences are amusing to me, mainly the number of women that Blomquist sleeps with in the book compared to the movies! Can't wait for the 3rd one. I believe it will be out in the US in the next few months.

I am having a hard time seeing how the US production of the movies will be any good. Unless they do a miniseries and do hours and hours and include lots, I do not think it will compare.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I would much rather see a mini-series and have the entire, complex, deep and fascinating story than a dumbed-down American film version. I just finished the third book, and I'm in awe of this writer. My only problem was that so many of the names were similar, it was sometimes hard to remember which character was which-many seemed to start with the letter "E." I actually had to concentrate! (I am being tongue in cheek here...)

Then I saw the photo of the Swedish movie's version of Lisbeth and went "YES!" now THAT is Lisbeth...not Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johansen for heaven's sake. This girl looks dangerous and vulnerable all at the same time.

I also was a fan of the Erika Berger character, and Figuerola-the blonde Amazon. That would also be a juicy part for some aspiring young actress. And I, too, got a big chuckle out of just how many women Blomkvist managed to sleep with, seeing how he was obviously based on Larsson himself.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I read the first two books over two weeks when I was hellishly busy and they were still mesmerizing. Then finished the second one and headed straight out to buy the third, which I'm in the middle of.

Daniel Craig sounds good to me, yumm, but not Carey Mulligan, although she was great in An Education. If ever there was a role for a young Mia Farrow-type, but with more guts, this is it. It's a shame P!nk is too old.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    IThen I saw the photo of the Swedish movie's version of Lisbeth and went "YES!" now THAT is Lisbeth...not Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johansen for heaven's sake. This girl looks dangerous and vulnerable all at the same time.

I also was a fan of the Erika Berger character, and Figuerola-the blonde Amazon. That would also be a juicy part for some aspiring young actress. And I, too, got a big chuckle out of just how many women Blomkvist managed to sleep with, seeing how he was obviously based on Larsson himself.
    So true - Noomi R is just amazing.
    When I saw a sneak preview of the second movie, they first showed a one hour documentary on Larsson.
    One of his friends said yes Larsson is Blomquist, other than sleeping with all the women, that was something he wanted, but didn't do. Cute comment.
    Noomi was also interviewed, very lovely, more girly than in the movie.

I really felt in the 2nd and 3rd book many folks were introduced, that if there were the 10 books, some of them would be popping up at various times. It was too many people, but I loved it.

Berger - great character, really enjoyed her in the 3rd book. Again, so many cool characters and want to read more!!

Also they left out Lisbeth's surgery in the movie - it amused me how it helped her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I have read all 3 books, and saw the 1st and 2nd movie. Yes they movies leave a lot out, but overall very good book to movies. I enjoyed all the books and the 2 movies.
    Oh, I definitely enjoyed it as well, and am looking forward to the 3rd movie. My friend and I had a lively discussion about how impossible it would be to include everything - but we did feel that reading the books is pretty critical to getting a lot of details that are just suggested (which I think is true of most faithful adaptations).

Of all the American actresses out there, if they are going to go with a name (and they are), I think Natalie Portman would be the best, but they'd have to let her look not-US-version-of-pretty, and I don't see that happening in what will surely be a blockbuster.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

Of all the American actresses out there, if they are going to go with a name (and they are), I think Natalie Portman would be the best, but they'd have to let her look not-US-version-of-pretty, and I don't see that happening in what will surely be a blockbuster.
    Natalie was grungy in a period movie with Javier Bardem, blanking on the name right now.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Natalie was grungy in a period movie with Javier Bardem, blanking on the name right now.
    Just looked it up - Goya's Ghosts

vCash
    I had mentioned upthread how perfect Natalie would have been for this with her "Leon" waif-like character. Of course she was very, very young there, but Lisbeth is also a character many people perceive as a child at first glance....I like Natalie, but her image is just so glamorous now. I wish they could find some struggling young ingenue who could bring Lisbeth to life without the viewer wondering if the actress is still dating the NYC Ballet soloist. (I do wonder myself, actually...)

vCash
    I just saw the first movie on DVD and liked it a lot. Am waiting for my turn with the third book from the library.

Don't really see why we need an American version though. Can't people just read the damn subtitles? It's not that hard....

vCash
    True - but that was a smaller film. This is being set up as a major film with high $$ expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I like Natalie, but her image is just so glamorous now.
    ^ This.

I wish they could find some struggling young ingenue who could bring Lisbeth to life
    Totally.

vCash
    How about Dakota Fanning as the lead? She's a great actress!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    I just saw the first movie on DVD and liked it a lot. Am waiting for my turn with the third book from the library.

Don't really see why we need an American version though. Can't people just read the damn subtitles? It's not that hard....
    I would infintely prefer to read subtitles than watch a Hollywood hash-up of this incredible story!

vCash
    I just finished all 3 books. I didn't know that it was a trilogy when I saw the first movie and when I heard there were 3 books, I was at the book store the same day and got all 3. I loved those books.

I heard this role was one of the most coveted in Hollywood and everyone was interested, including Natalie Portman, and the other youngish girls. To me, the Swedish girl, Noomi whatever, was perfect for this part.

I cringe at an American remake, but would for sure go see it. Sometimes they can surprise you. Do you think they'd even keep it Swedish? Sometimes that is a stretch for them. I never understand why subtitles are so hard. I get used to them almost right away.

Going back to TGWTDT, I also laughed in the theatre when Lisbeth ran after the SUV with her golf club. It was right after the Elin Nordgren and Tiger episode and my first thought was, wow, those Swedish girls, LOL!!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast