Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I agree that Brad Pitt is a very good actor...just not right for the role.
    Brad Pitt really shines in comedy more than anything serious.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Brad Pitt really shines in comedy more than anything serious.
    I discovered his dramatic skills in 12 Monkeys and was very impressed. But he is too pretty for Blomkvist.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sorry for the double post. I have a cancellation and am uncharacteristically caught up on charting so I wanted to discuss potential candidacies for the role of Lisbeth.

We've talked about Ellen Page who would be my first choice.

Others are:

Mia Wasikowska Seems OK, like she has potential to be a good Lisbeth. I am not familiar with her acting.

Emily Browning Way too luscious. She can't lose her beautiful bee-stung lips, can she. All wrong for Lisbeth.

Sara Snook That's nice and sullen, could work. I don't know her work to say more.

Rooney Mara Doesn't seem to have the required intense presence, kinda dishwater blah.

Sophie Lowe Could work, may be.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 07-28-2010 at 02:57 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I saw somewhere else that Rooney Mara is under serious consideration - she's way too...soft looking. Mia - perhaps, but she'd have to ditch that long luscious hair.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Rooney Mara just seems too mousy and non-threatening. I would eliminate her and Emily Browning just based on the head shots.

Regarding Mia--losing the hair would be a small price to pay (but yes, the hair is very nice). She looks good for the role IMO.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It's official: Rooney Mara is in

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/..._dragon_tattoo

In terms of looks I'm not crazy about her but 1) I'm thrilled they went with a relative unknown and 2) if I had seen Noomi Raplace before seeing the Swedish films I would not have expected her to fit the bill so well either. I will cross my fingers that they will go as far as needed to make this character come to life and not insist that the actress remain "Hollywood pretty".
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, we'll see. I am a bit skeptical but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I don't know anything about this actress other than that she was in that "Nightmare on Elm Street" remake that I never saw, but I'm glad they finally picked someone; the constant "They're down to six candidates! Now they're down to four! Now they're down to two!" rumor leakage was getting really . (It's a role in a movie, not the next President.) I like the other casting rumors I've heard so far (Stellan Skarsgard as Martin Vanger and Robin Wright as Erika Berger), so hopefully this is a good call too.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    I just saw the first movie on DVD and liked it a lot. Am waiting for my turn with the third book from the library.

Don't really see why we need an American version though. Can't people just read the damn subtitles? It's not that hard....
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I would infintely prefer to read subtitles than watch a Hollywood hash-up of this incredible story!
    Adding my vote to Hannah, Holley, and the rest of the "WHY MAKE A REMAKE?" crowd. I just saw this first movie this weekend (at the local "art" theatre) and really, really liked it. They are going to be showing "The Girl Who Played with Fire" next.

I'm wracking my brain to come up with a Hollywood remake of a foreign film that I have liked as much as/thought was as well done as the original. So far, nothing. Although I did enjoy a few of the remakes, mostly they were very much inferior (at least to my tastes). I can actually see Daniel Craig doing a creditable job in the role of Mikael; since I have no recollection of ever seeing Rooney Mara, I haven't the faintest idea of what she could do as Noomi. I guess I can be thankful that they didn't cast Miley or some such similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    ...since I have no recollection of ever seeing Rooney Mara, I haven't the faintest idea of what she could do as Noomi.
    You mean as Lisbeth? I think this shows how completely Noomi Rapace became Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish films

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    You mean as Lisbeth? I think this shows how completely Noomi Rapace became Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish films
    Oops! Yes, I did mean Lisbeth. Still don't understand why a remake is being done. Actually, I do. I guess many people still stay away from movies with subtitles .. I go to nearly as many films with subtitles as those that are English language. Oh well, if the remake is any good at all, I likely will go see it. So far the casting seems more promising than a Brad Pitt/Kristen Stewart billing would be.

vCash
    I don't see this girl as Lisbeth, but who knows. I'm not sure I even want to watch the English version, having seen the Swedish version and liked it so well.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I don't see this girl as Lisbeth, but who knows.
    Neither do I. Does this look like someone who can take out two biker dudes?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Neither do I. Does this look like someone who can take out two biker dudes?
    Not really, but makeup and costumes can do wonders. There is an interview with Noomi Rapace on the DVD extras of TGWTDT, and she looks far too beautiful and "soft" to play Lisbeth, yet she was stunning in the role. I too am not looking forward to an American remake - I'll have to hear the word of mouth about the film before I consider netflixing it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It's beyond the make up--she just doesn't look fierce. It's in her eyes. However, a good enough actress would be able to pull this off, case in point Noomi Rapace. Does Rooney Mara have what it takes? I don't know as I had no idea who she is until she became a contender for the role of Lisbeth.

Does anyone know if she has acting talent?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think whatsername(Ashley something or other? I think that's her first name) from Twilight that plays Alice would have been a good choice as far as achieving a similar look.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    These are both moot points now, Satellitegirl, but as mentioned before physically I think the best candidate would have been Allison Scagliotti. Of course, physical appearance is not everything for this role but Scagliotti is an unknown as the director required. She is, however pretty young and the role of Lisbeth requires prodigious acting talent.

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Bumping it up with pictures of Rooney Mara in full Salander gear. Her outfit is fierce but her face is not.

She looks like a superhero in that stupid motorcycle outfit. Regular black leather wasn't good enough, gotta make it flashy or the rude Amerikans will get bored.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Here is a link with more pictures: http://www.afterellen.com/movies/201...rs-biker-boots

I don't hate the motorcycle jacket. Sure, it would be more believable that Lisbeth would wear all black, but I had pictured something far more cartoony.

At least they cut and dyed her hair, and seem to be downplaying Mara's natural girliness big time.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She still looks boring to me, superhero jacket and all.

Of course they cut and dyed her hair, how could Salander have Mara's long blond mane?

And where are the piercings?

from Speedy Death

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast