Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What? Kristen Stewart is not fierce enough? Kidding.
    I could see a slightly older Natalie Portman AS SHE WAS IN "THE PROFESSIONAL" before she got glammed. I loved "The Professional" or "Leon," if you like.

I just had the misfortune to watch the dvd of New Moon and thought I would die of boredom. If I want to roll around in teen angst, I'll just go watch some of my young ballet company's emerging choreography works. They're much better art! Truly, Kristen is a nice kid and so are those lovely boys, but that movie bored the heck out of me. I kept asking "When is this plotless damn thing going to be over, and why does this girl only have one facial expression?"

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    A bit of a sidebar since I haven't read the books nor seen any of the movies:

The first movie was made for the big screen, and the other two was made for Swedish TV (and the quality apparently goes down accordingly). All three are out in Sweden (the TV run started two weeks ago). I generally at remaking all foreign movies into American ones for the American audience (if reading the subtitles is an issue, which it is for those with bad eyesight, maybe dubbing would be a solution?), but I sort of doubt #2 and #3 would fly as big screen movies outside of Sweden.

vCash
    I just saw it and think that the use of material from book 2 (which I haven't read yet) to help explain Lisbeth's reactions and background made a lot of sense.

The casting was great, esp the leads.

I was amazed at how much detail from the book I'd forgotten. The omissions mentioned in the spoiler space above don't detract at all from the movie IMHO.

It was a long movie but so much happens it felt like the right length.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I'm reading the book now and loving it, but I'm hesitant to see the movie because

Spoiler

I know, I'm a wimp when it comes to these things.

vCash
    Impromptu - no, they do not keep that scene in.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That did not happen in the movie, Impromptu. Ooops, Icetalavista beat me to it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Saw TGWTDT with my sister. We were both impressed with how much of the original material made it into the movie, although they did monkey around a bit with the timeline.

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" is due to be released July 2. I read the 2nd book so quickly that I am re-reading it so that all the connections of who is out to get/kill whom stay fresh in my ming

vCash
    I get to see it this week - just in time to get me all excited again for the release of the 3rd book. I can't even begin to tell you how much I am in love with the character of Lisbeth Salander.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

Spoiler

This saddens me, as I quite like

Spoiler

I will ignore any US attempt at a remake, just as I ignored The Birdcage because I knew it couldn't live up to the French original of La Cage Aux Folles.

Quote Originally Posted by MKDaneher View Post
    "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is due to be released July 2.
    Do you know if this includes release in the US?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post

I will ignore any US attempt at a remake, just as I ignored The Birdcage because I knew it couldn't live up to the French original of La Cage Aux Folles.
    Who wants to bet that the US version will include hand to hand combat, explosions and possibly even ninjas? And you are correct about The Birdcage and La Cage Aux Folles.

Wiki says TGWPWF releases in the fall of 2010 in the US.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I know a place...
    vCash
    I do believe they cast Carey Mulligan in the lead role for the American version. IMDB says its coming out in 2012

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Carey Mulligan is too apple-cheeky and robust looking to play Salander but of course there is always make-up and/or extreme dieting. But still her vibe is too ordinary and harmless. OTOH, I thought the Swedish actress was spot on.

ETA: here is an article whose author agrees with me: http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2010/0...beth-salander/

The actress mentioned whom the author of the article prefers for the role of Salander, Allison Scagliotti, is way better suited IMO. Every other picture of her on Google is that of a sullen, defensive girl. But oh well; we get apple cheeks. Uncle Dick will be happy.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 05-03-2010 at 03:25 AM.

from Speedy Death

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Love the idea of Colin Firth....but don't they have any Swedish actors? I'd rather see an original Viking.

I've read the first book. Wow! That's all I can say. I'm sure I'll be reading the other two in short order. Love Lisbeth....

JEWELS.
    vCash
    I see on Amazon in the USA the release date for the third and final book is May 25, 2010. You can get English-language imported versions now if you can't wait.

I saw the movie of TGWTDT and enjoyed it but it felt more like a TV movie than something cinematic.

I wish the whole Millennium Trilogy could have been filmed like a high-quality mini-series with enough time to include most of the books' contents. Similar to the famous BBC miniseries of "Pride and Prejudice."

vCash
    Carey Mulligan is too apple-cheeky and robust looking to play Salander but of course there is always make-up and/or extreme dieting. But still her vibe is too ordinary and harmless.
    Much as I adore Sally Sparrow, she's all wrong for Lisbeth. But Mulligan is good, so I'd best not pre-judge.

Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    I see on Amazon in the USA the release date for the third and final book is May 25, 2010. You can get English-language imported versions now if you can't wait.
    I know - I've preordered it, but with the way book 2 ended, I've had a tough time waiting for book 3. But it may take 3 weeks to get a copy from Amazon.uk so I may as well be patient.

I wish the whole Millennium Trilogy could have been filmed like a high-quality mini-series with enough time to include most of the books' contents. Similar to the famous BBC miniseries of "Pride and Prejudice."
    This.
    Last edited by pollyanna; 05-03-2010 at 05:18 AM.

vCash
    I saw it a week or so ago at the local independent theater. I thought it was a good movie overall, but I felt like the character links were bit disjointed...I didn't really see how 3 stories tied together. I liked the two main characters.

vCash
    I live in Europe and had 3rd book since November last year. Soft cover in English.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I thought this video was relevant.
    Brit vs. US movies

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I read this morning that Carey Mulligan has not actually signed on yet, but is said to be very close to signing on.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ugh.

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Ugh.
    could be worse, could be Miley Ray Montana
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast