In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash

Will a "router" work this way?

Can someone help a stoopid person (that would be me).

Tell me if I understand how a router works before I go buy one. This is what I want to be able to do.

I have a desktop at home and also use my laptop from work. If I get a router, can I plug the router into the black box modom, then plug both my desktop and laptop LAN cables into the router and be able to be on the internet on BOTH computers at the same time? Or is that not what a router does? Basically, I want to be on my desktop for the running PBP's of Worlds, but also need to be on my laptop at the same time for work and need an internet connection for that also.

Will a router do this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Can someone help a stoopid person (that would be me).

Tell me if I understand how a router works before I go buy one. This is what I want to be able to do.

I have a desktop at home and also use my laptop from work. If I get a router, can I plug the router into the black box modom, then plug both my desktop and laptop LAN cables into the router and be able to be on the internet on BOTH computers at the same time? Or is that not what a router does? Basically, I want to be on my desktop for the running PBP's of Worlds, but also need to be on my laptop at the same time for work and need an internet connection for that also.

Will a router do this?
    Don't your laptop and desktop have wireless internet capability? In that case you just buy a wireless router which you connect to the black box modem and then both computers should be able to go online without having to connect the computers to any modem at all. However if one or both of your computers does not have wireless capability then the way you described will also work.

vCash
    Yep, that'll do it. The modem plugs into the router. You should be able to plug at least 4 different computers into the router.

vCash
    Thanks!! I don't have wireless on my desktop, but yea if I can get it to work! It will be worth the money even for just the few times I will actually wanna use both at the same time.

vCash
    Wireless routers are cheap anyway - I got mine for 40 and I'm sure you can find even cheaper.

vCash
    Wireless ROCKS. My router from Verizon handles wireless and wired connections at the same time with no trouble. I even got a wireless printer.

vCash
    wwhheee!!! Double internet access! Ain't technology grand. Now if only Time Warner would add freaking Universal Sports to my system I'd be set for life.