vCash

World Team Trophy 2010?

Is this event happening this year? Or was last year just an experiment?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I remember reading somewhere last year that it would not be held this year. Guess it will all depend on which (Asian?) country might be able to afford to host it in the future?

vCash
    Wasn't the original plan to hold it every two years (as not to conflict with the Olympics)? So we may see it in 2011.

vCash
    http://www.isuskating.sportcentric.c...s-item,00.html

The International Skating Union (ISU) and the Japan Skating Federation (JSF) in cooperation with TV Asahi Corporation have agreed to hold an international Team Figure Skating Competition, the “ISU World Team Trophy” for the first time ever in Tokyo, Japan, during the 2008/09 season. The subsequent “ISU World Team Trophy” event will also be held in Japan during the season 2010/11.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Wasn't the original plan to hold it every two years (as not to conflict with the Olympics)?
    I remember someone's posting something to that effect somewhere on FSU last season, but I couldn't find any official announcement. Perhaps the ISU hasn't decided yet whether it will stage the event in the 2011-12 season.

vCash
    I think it takes place every two years, like Winter Universiade.

vCash
    From what I remember it is supposed to take place every year EXCEPT during Olympic year because the calendar is too crowded.

AFAIK the Team competition will take place next year, probably in Tokyo [but somewhere in Japan, because the Jap TV company is paying for it.]

vCash
    The World Team Trophy will be taking place every year except during an Olympic year (so as not to extend the season too far for such a year). Japan will be the host of the event for several years under contract. Beyond that, who knows. But I can get behind any competition that gives great skaters more money, because hey, they need it.

vCash
    I BELIEVE the WTT is intended to be held every year except Olympic years. There is another thread on how the ISU doesn't follow their own rules. Last year, the ISU sent an invitation to Yu-Na to skate in the WTT exhibition, even though she did not qualify for the actual competition. That would normally be against ISU rules, but I think there is a loophole in the WTT rules that allow such invitations.

vCash
    Deleted!
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 03-22-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Never mind~~

vCash
    Pardon the bump, but it looks like it's official.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100519it.html

I never saw any numbers, but everything I heard or read indicated that the first WTT was a major financial success. It makes sense they would try it again.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The Japan Times article link was posted in this thread in GSD: Yokohama tapped to host next World Team Trophy