Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash

DWTS 5/10-11: Dancing though Time

This week we get two dances per team, including one dance from a specific "time period" In Evan's case, it's a "futuristic cha cha". He and Anna also have a waltz

Q and A with Evan from TV Guide
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    This week we get two dances per team, including one dance from a specific "time period" In Evan's case, it's a "futuristic cha cha". He and Anna also have a waltz

Q and A with Evan from TV Guide
    Thanks for the link. I think my favorite was:
    Your packages are refreshing compared to everyone else's because you guys just seem focused on working. There's no drama or fights.
    Lysacek: We don't have time to fight. We get along really well and are really good friends. We don't confuse our roles, I think, because I'm used to that approach: I'm the student and someone — Anna — is the coach and teacher. I think an understanding of those roles is really helpful when you're in this environment. We do butt heads, but we're not ever disrespectful about it, and I think that's why they're not even eye-catching moments on film because they're more conversational than anything.

I suspect that this is the reason that so many of the Olympic athletes have been so successful on DWTS. They're used to the coaching relationship, and they don't expect to be treated as an equal in the decision-making process. Add to that the work ethic and working through pain, and you've got a tough competitor.

Quadless
    vCash
    I lurves Evan, but from the TV Guide Q&A from Garden Kitty:

We don't have that much choreography in a skating routine. We mainly go trick to trick and we do a few arm movements.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

YEAH!
    vCash
    At least, unlike Plushenko, he was intelligent enough to say this AFTER the Olympics.

I think futuristic cha-cha is good for him. I expected cha-cha to be difficult for him and wasn't that impressed with his performance in the team dance, but a stylized routinne with the angular movements that he does well should work out for him. I'm really excited to see the waltz. The v. waltz from week 1 was lovely and he's improved so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    In Evan's case, it's a "futuristic cha cha".
    It had better be futuristic because with respect to the cha cha, that's probably all Evan will be able to achieve. I just don't see those hips going sufficiently to pull off a real, sensuous example.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Cha cha's not sensuous. In fact it's the best Latin dance (besides paso) for cheating your hips--you aren't supposed to have much hip action on the cha-cha-cha (there just isn't time) and generally the music is fast enough that you can fudge on the 1-2-3. too. Rhumba is too slow to fake, but cha is quick and snappy, so if you're not REALLY doing much, most people won't notice.

My bigger worry for Evan is if he's still wearing those silly patent shoes that look like Standard and can't point and flex. Plus with those long legs, a bent knee on a cha cha lock is going to be REALLY obvious.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I lurves Evan, but from the TV Guide Q&A from Garden Kitty:

I snickered when I read this this morning. He's right. Compared to dance, there isn't much choreography. There's only so much you can do on skates. He does mention arm waving.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Thanks for the link. I think my favorite was:
    Your packages are refreshing compared to everyone else's because you guys just seem focused on working. There's no drama or fights.
    Lysacek: We don't have time to fight. We get along really well and are really good friends. We don't confuse our roles, I think, because I'm used to that approach: I'm the student and someone — Anna — is the coach and teacher. I think an understanding of those roles is really helpful when you're in this environment. We do butt heads, but we're not ever disrespectful about it, and I think that's why they're not even eye-catching moments on film because they're more conversational than anything.
    Evan has a great attitude. Anna must be in heaven.

Chad and Neicy may be in trouble tonight.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I predict Nicolle crys.

Only three weeks left.

vCash
    Cheryl is wearing similar dress to the one she wore last week, only today its color is black.
    I don't think the change of color helps...

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    This music will kill me. I saw no Tango in that. Chad moves oddly. Let's move on.

vCash
    Cheryl very Kiss of the Spider Woman. Or the villaness in a bad B movie sci fi movie shown at 3am.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Chad can go home this week. Or Neicy.

Oh Nicolle. Boo hoo. I just want it to be good.

vCash
    Off topic, but hey I'm at work anyway ...

Chad ... what an awful name. No wonder the guy likes his nicknames. (Say it aloud. "Chad". Ick.) On the level with "Agnes" for a girl.

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    scores:

Chad 7 7 7 = 21

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Off topic, but hey I'm at work anyway ...

Chad ... what an awful name. No wonder the guy likes his nicknames. (Say it aloud. "Chad". Ick.) On the level with "Agnes" for a girl.
    But he kept the Chad when he legally changed his last name to Ocho Cinco.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    You've got to love Niecy making her kid send a photo of what she's going to wear to school. Technology can be a good thing for single moms.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Louis always impresses me with his patience to Neicy.
    And it shows in her performances, which improve every week.
    Therefore, let it be Chad who is leaving today.

vCash
    Look away kiddies, they've killed big bird!
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Niecy rather rough in that V Waltz, it should have floated more. Better than Chad.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast