Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 473
  1. #441
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    CZFAN over at GoldenSkate has posted a link with Caroline's blogs. She seems mostly positive about her training, and other skaters. She even praises Mirai. If there is any bitchiness, she hides it well.

    http://fanzone.att.net/teamusa/athlete/caroline-zhang

  2. #442
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    A conversation about Caroline's attitude towards skating popped up the other day, and if what I'm told is true (the source it came from is reliable so I feel pretty confident it is) her attitude is just as bad as ever and THAT would need to change before she progresses anywhere. From what it seems, everyone in the professional skating world is just sick of her and her tantrums. Being that I've seen a few myself, *if* they truly haven't improved then I can't be surprised people are over her. She's not a little 13 year old anymore, she needs to grow up if she wants people to help her.
    Now WHY doesn't that surprise me one bit? Still, (assuming the above is true) I can't believe bottoming out at Nationals isn't enough for her to see the light.

    I get the weird impression most skaters at that level have a mind of their own, at least somewhat (correct me if I'm off, but I'd be surprised)

  3. #443
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    A general comment about the competitive skating world based on my observations over the years…

    FWIW, there’s a LOT of rink-to-rink “chatter” (specifically, negative gossip) that goes on in the skating world and it’s usually motivated by jealousy/rivalry among skaters, parents, coaches, etc. Yes, there can be kernels of truth in some of the negative rumors/gossip/speculation that goes around about individual skaters, but sometimes there are hidden, or not-so-hidden, agendas at work as well. The skaters who can rise above all the “chatter” (or at least are able to deal with it and block it out so it doesn’t affect them negatively) and prove themselves in competition when it counts are usually the ones that have a better chance of long-term success in this sport.

  4. #444
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

    FWIW, there’s a LOT of rink-to-rink “chatter” (specifically, negative gossip) that goes on in the skating world and it’s usually motivated by jealousy/rivalry among skaters, parents, coaches, etc. Yes, there can be kernels of truth in some of the negative rumors/gossip/speculation that goes around about individual skaters, but sometimes there are hidden, or not-so-hidden, agendas at work as well.
    Doesn't surprise me either...

    The skaters who can rise above all the “chatter” (or at least are able to deal with it and block it out so it doesn’t affect them negatively) and prove themselves in competition when it counts are usually the ones that have a better chance of long-term success in this sport.
    Must be a tough thing to do if they really must deal with this stuff on a daily basis. It's one thing to stay away from the skating forums, but often times rumors get spread ON the forums based on what's supposedly said "in the field" so to speak.

  5. #445

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,794
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1781
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    CZFAN over at GoldenSkate has posted a link with Caroline's blogs. She seems mostly positive about her training, and other skaters. She even praises Mirai. If there is any bitchiness, she hides it well.

    http://fanzone.att.net/teamusa/athlete/caroline-zhang
    I dont see where she praised Mirai. All I saw was that she wrote she was 1st in the short program after worlds on her blog about the world championships.

  6. #446
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I dont see where she praised Mirai. All I saw was that she wrote she was 1st in the short program after worlds on her blog about the world championships.
    "In the short program I was so happy the American ladies did well. Mirai Nagasu was in first place after a clean program."

    I suppose somebody could take this a couple of different ways.

  7. #447
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I dont see where she praised Mirai. All I saw was that she wrote she was 1st in the short program after worlds on her blog about the world championships.
    I think just the fact that she isn't extremely jealous of Mirai is pretty impressive. I mean, those two girls have been each other's biggest competition until recently, when Mirai pulled way ahead, and they are still good friends through all of it. That can't be easy.

  8. #448
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think just the fact that she isn't extremely jealous of Mirai is pretty impressive. I mean, those two girls have been each other's biggest competition until recently, when Mirai pulled way ahead, and they are still good friends through all of it. That can't be easy.
    What you say on a public blog is one thing.

    What you say behind closed doors - another.

    Still, there was some on-camera evidence that the two were on friendly terms, at least, which is good.

  9. #449
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    What you say on a public blog is one thing.

    What you say behind closed doors - another.

    Still, there was some on-camera evidence that the two were on friendly terms, at least, which is good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEpXfugukE This is from Skate Canada last fall, their friendship seems to be pretty genuine. Granted, this was before Mirai had her "breakthrough", but she still did a lot better than Caroline at this competition and it's nice to see the two girls comfort one another.

  10. #450
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ugh the off-season... Wish there are rink reports........................

  11. #451

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,794
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1781
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    "In the short program I was so happy the American ladies did well. Mirai Nagasu was in first place after a clean program."

    I suppose somebody could take this a couple of different ways.
    Well, I think it is nice that she made the acknowledgement but I did not see it as any type of praise. But it was probably hard for her either way.

  12. #452
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    I've been hearing from various reliable that Caroline Zhang is skating primarily in Riverside, California these days. Tammy Gambill coaches there. (Please consider this unofficial hearsay info until it is confirmed publically.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.

  13. #453
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I've been hearing from various reliable that Caroline Zhang is skating primarily in Riverside, California these days. Tammy Gambill coaches there. (Please consider this unofficial hearsay info until it is confirmed publically.)
    Isn't that where Amanda Dobbs trains? Maybe she's working with Meno and Sand?

  14. #454

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Isn't that where Amanda Dobbs trains? Maybe she's working with Meno and Sand?
    Amanda Dobbs used to train in Riverside, with Tammy Gambill. She trains with Meno and Sand in Aliso Viejo, CA.
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  15. #455
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Recent FB wall post mentions Caroline is getting (at least) some ice time at Ice Town in Riverside...

  16. #456
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Nigel posted this report over at GoldenSkate.

    "Zhang used Dickson for choreo in Colorado. Also worked with Kathy Casey on jump technique. "

    I'm not sure who Miss Casey is.

  17. #457
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I'm not sure who Miss Casey is.
    Hint: Try Googling her name. (she's not a chef)

  18. #458
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    OK, so according to , apparently it's widely known in the SoCal skating community that Tammy Gambill is coaching Caroline Zhang now. Since I don't know if there will be a press release issued anytime in the near future, we may just have to wait for the Coach's line in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio to be changed when it's updated for the 2010-11 season...
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.

  19. #459
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    OK, so according to , apparently it's widely known in the SoCal skating community that Tammy Gambill is coaching Caroline Zhang now. Since I don't know if there will be a press release issued anytime in the near future, we may just have to wait for the Coach's line in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio to be changed when it's updated for the 2010-11 season...
    Interesting...thank you for this information! I really hope this works out for her, I've always been a fan. Can anyone kindly remind me of who Ms. Gambill currently coaches? I recall her training Ellie Kawamura, but I do not know of anyone else.

  20. #460
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Gambill's current students include Richard Dornbush, Dennis Phan (not sure if he is still competing?), Lindsay Davis, Katarina Kulgeyko (new this season), and Philip Warren (2010 novice pewter medalist).

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •