Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    vCash
    CZFAN over at GoldenSkate has posted a link with Caroline's blogs. She seems mostly positive about her training, and other skaters. She even praises Mirai. If there is any bitchiness, she hides it well.

http://fanzone.att.net/teamusa/athlete/caroline-zhang

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    A conversation about Caroline's attitude towards skating popped up the other day, and if what I'm told is true (the source it came from is reliable so I feel pretty confident it is) her attitude is just as bad as ever and THAT would need to change before she progresses anywhere. From what it seems, everyone in the professional skating world is just sick of her and her tantrums. Being that I've seen a few myself, *if* they truly haven't improved then I can't be surprised people are over her. She's not a little 13 year old anymore, she needs to grow up if she wants people to help her.
    Now WHY doesn't that surprise me one bit? Still, (assuming the above is true) I can't believe bottoming out at Nationals isn't enough for her to see the light.

I get the weird impression most skaters at that level have a mind of their own, at least somewhat (correct me if I'm off, but I'd be surprised)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    A general comment about the competitive skating world based on my observations over the years…

FWIW, there’s a LOT of rink-to-rink “chatter” (specifically, negative gossip) that goes on in the skating world and it’s usually motivated by jealousy/rivalry among skaters, parents, coaches, etc. Yes, there can be kernels of truth in some of the negative rumors/gossip/speculation that goes around about individual skaters, but sometimes there are hidden, or not-so-hidden, agendas at work as well. The skaters who can rise above all the “chatter” (or at least are able to deal with it and block it out so it doesn’t affect them negatively) and prove themselves in competition when it counts are usually the ones that have a better chance of long-term success in this sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

FWIW, there’s a LOT of rink-to-rink “chatter” (specifically, negative gossip) that goes on in the skating world and it’s usually motivated by jealousy/rivalry among skaters, parents, coaches, etc. Yes, there can be kernels of truth in some of the negative rumors/gossip/speculation that goes around about individual skaters, but sometimes there are hidden, or not-so-hidden, agendas at work as well.
    Doesn't surprise me either...

The skaters who can rise above all the “chatter” (or at least are able to deal with it and block it out so it doesn’t affect them negatively) and prove themselves in competition when it counts are usually the ones that have a better chance of long-term success in this sport.
    Must be a tough thing to do if they really must deal with this stuff on a daily basis. It's one thing to stay away from the skating forums, but often times rumors get spread ON the forums based on what's supposedly said "in the field" so to speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    CZFAN over at GoldenSkate has posted a link with Caroline's blogs. She seems mostly positive about her training, and other skaters. She even praises Mirai. If there is any bitchiness, she hides it well.

http://fanzone.att.net/teamusa/athlete/caroline-zhang
    I dont see where she praised Mirai. All I saw was that she wrote she was 1st in the short program after worlds on her blog about the world championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I dont see where she praised Mirai. All I saw was that she wrote she was 1st in the short program after worlds on her blog about the world championships.
    "In the short program I was so happy the American ladies did well. Mirai Nagasu was in first place after a clean program."

I suppose somebody could take this a couple of different ways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I think just the fact that she isn't extremely jealous of Mirai is pretty impressive. I mean, those two girls have been each other's biggest competition until recently, when Mirai pulled way ahead, and they are still good friends through all of it. That can't be easy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think just the fact that she isn't extremely jealous of Mirai is pretty impressive. I mean, those two girls have been each other's biggest competition until recently, when Mirai pulled way ahead, and they are still good friends through all of it. That can't be easy.
    What you say on a public blog is one thing.

What you say behind closed doors - another.

Still, there was some on-camera evidence that the two were on friendly terms, at least, which is good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    What you say on a public blog is one thing.

What you say behind closed doors - another.

Still, there was some on-camera evidence that the two were on friendly terms, at least, which is good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEpXfugukE This is from Skate Canada last fall, their friendship seems to be pretty genuine. Granted, this was before Mirai had her "breakthrough", but she still did a lot better than Caroline at this competition and it's nice to see the two girls comfort one another.

vCash
    Ugh the off-season... Wish there are rink reports........................

vCash
    "In the short program I was so happy the American ladies did well. Mirai Nagasu was in first place after a clean program."

I suppose somebody could take this a couple of different ways.
    Well, I think it is nice that she made the acknowledgement but I did not see it as any type of praise. But it was probably hard for her either way.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I've been hearing from various reliable that Caroline Zhang is skating primarily in Riverside, California these days. Tammy Gambill coaches there. (Please consider this unofficial hearsay info until it is confirmed publically.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    I've been hearing from various reliable that Caroline Zhang is skating primarily in Riverside, California these days. Tammy Gambill coaches there. (Please consider this unofficial hearsay info until it is confirmed publically.)
    Isn't that where Amanda Dobbs trains? Maybe she's working with Meno and Sand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Isn't that where Amanda Dobbs trains? Maybe she's working with Meno and Sand?
    Amanda Dobbs used to train in Riverside, with Tammy Gambill. She trains with Meno and Sand in Aliso Viejo, CA.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Recent FB wall post mentions Caroline is getting (at least) some ice time at Ice Town in Riverside...

vCash
    Nigel posted this report over at GoldenSkate.

"Zhang used Dickson for choreo in Colorado. Also worked with Kathy Casey on jump technique. "

I'm not sure who Miss Casey is.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'm not sure who Miss Casey is.
    Hint: Try Googling her name. (she's not a chef)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    OK, so according to , apparently it's widely known in the SoCal skating community that Tammy Gambill is coaching Caroline Zhang now. Since I don't know if there will be a press release issued anytime in the near future, we may just have to wait for the Coach's line in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio to be changed when it's updated for the 2010-11 season...
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.

vCash
    OK, so according to , apparently it's widely known in the SoCal skating community that Tammy Gambill is coaching Caroline Zhang now. Since I don't know if there will be a press release issued anytime in the near future, we may just have to wait for the Coach's line in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio to be changed when it's updated for the 2010-11 season...
    Interesting...thank you for this information! I really hope this works out for her, I've always been a fan. Can anyone kindly remind me of who Ms. Gambill currently coaches? I recall her training Ellie Kawamura, but I do not know of anyone else.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Gambill's current students include Richard Dornbush, Dennis Phan (not sure if he is still competing?), Lindsay Davis, Katarina Kulgeyko (new this season), and Philip Warren (2010 novice pewter medalist).

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast