Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Mirai had a more dramatic body change than either girl, she grew like 7-8 inches and gained 40 pounds over the course of two years, and most of the change took place over the course of one, and yet she still managed to get back on track, and quickly at that.
    Exactly. So if Mirai can recover from injury, growth and weight gain, I see no reason why Caroline can't as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Exactly. So if Mirai can recover from injury, growth and weight gain, I see no reason why Caroline can't as well.
    She didn't even have a coach that believed in good technique. And she herself also didn't believe in it - that's why she went back to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I don't know enough to comment on her jump technique but more than anything her body changed dramatically. I bet that was (more than anything else) the reason for her loss of consistency.
    Kimmie had a bit of a weird landing technique, her weight wasn't completely centered over her knee but was putting too much torque on one side. It was OK before her growth spurt, but afterward it caused knee problems, and then she tried to make minor adjustments to the jumps to compensate, which made them go haywire. Now she's working on relearning the correct alignment so that she can jump without pain.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Yes, but in order to do that Caroline should leave Mingzhu and start from the very beginning, because that's essentially what Mirai did when she went to Frank. Her URs were a problem in her Charlene days, even before the growthspurt when she won nationals, she was URing a lot, the judges just weren't as strict about it then. Mirai made rapid improvement this season, shaky at CoC then much more solid at SC but a bit tentative, then awesome at nats and the olympics. It was a fast turnover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Kimmie had a bit of a weird landing technique, her weight wasn't completely centered over her knee but was putting too much torque on one side. It was OK before her growth spurt, but afterward it caused knee problems, and then she tried to make minor adjustments to the jumps to compensate, which made them go haywire. Now she's working on relearning the correct alignment so that she can jump without pain.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting. Do you know if Kimmie is working on anything else about her jump(s)? Would appreciate it.

vCash
    Yes, but in order to do that Caroline should leave Mingzhu and start from the very beginning, because that's essentially what Mirai did when she went to Frank.
    I guess I am still in the minority on this one. ( Maybe that's where I am the most comfortable. ) But I am going to have to guess that Caroline and Ms. Li made a conscious decision to forestall trying to fix her issues until after the Olympic season. ( I have NO inside information whatsoever, so this is only a guess. )

Mirai made rapid improvement this season, shaky at CoC then much more solid at SC but a bit tentative, then awesome at nats and the olympics. It was a fast turnover.
    Yes it was. Olympics to Worlds was also a fast turnover.
    Last edited by Polymer Bob; 06-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Thanks for the info. Interesting. Do you know if Kimmie is working on anything else about her jump(s)? Would appreciate it.
    Well I'm sure she's been working on looking up rather than down at the ice before her jump takeoffs. She also said that she needed to learn how to get over her right side on her jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well I'm sure she's been working on looking up rather than down at the ice before her jump takeoffs. She also said that she needed to learn how to get over her right side on her jumps.
    Kimmie actually needs to be over her left side, as she's a clockwise jumper.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Must be confusing her with someone else because she's definitely jumping CCW here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC8aUzZ9bhc

vCash
    Since when? She's always jumped CCW for as long as I've seen her skate.

vCash
    I guess I am still in the minority on this one. ( Maybe that's where I am the most comfortable. ) But I am going to have to guess that Caroline and Ms. Li made a concious decision to forstall trying to fix her issues until after the Olympic season. ( I have NO inside information whatsoever, so this is only a guess. )

Yes it was. Olympics to Worlds was also a fast turnover.
    Hey! Her SP at Worlds was awesome! She just had a bad FS, happens to everyone, remember Yuna at SA? Also most people bombed Worlds anyways

vCash
    Ashley Wagner, on the other hand, jumps CW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnLfOp_BMc

vCash
    Hey! Her SP at Worlds was awesome!
    ...which makes it an even fastER turnover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ...which makes it an even fastER turnover.

Kinda harsh. Even Rachael "The Rock" Flatt made a number of mistakes at Worlds, not to mention Queen Yu Na and a truckload of other skaters. 7th is still a great Worlds debut.

vCash
    I just thought of something, maybe Caroline is slow because her legs are kind of short? I was watching videos of her and she has a very long torso (gives her an elegant look) and proportionally, her legs and arms are shorter. Compared to other skaters of the same approximate height, Mao, Yuna, Mirai, Alissa, etc, they all appear to have much longer legs than Caroline and are all faster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    Sorry, brain fade for me. Mea culpa.

vCash
    I don’t know the exact mechanics, but normally when skater does a combination, the second jump ( and third and fourth ) must be a loop or toe loop. However, if a skater can jump in both directions, it becomes possible to have something else be the second jump. That’s something I would pay money to see.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    But if you nail the clock to the ceiling, the hands rotate in the same direction Kimmie jumps.

I can just imagine all of you trying to figure that one out.

vCash
    I don’t know the exact mechanics, but normally when skater does a combination, the second jump ( and third and fourth ) must be a loop or toe loop. However, if a skater can jump in both directions, it becomes possible to have something else be the second jump. That’s something I would pay money to see.
    Counterclockwise (CCW) rotators (the majority of skaters) land jumps on their right back outside (RBO) edge. This landing edge could be the takeoff edge of a reverse (CW direction) Lutz. Clockwise rotators land jumps on their left back outside (LBO) edge. This landing edge could be the takeoff edge of a reverse (CCW) Lutz.

Rohene Ward performed a reverse double Axel (clockwise direction for him) to regular double Axel (CCW) sequence in this 2002 exhibition (after the 2-minute mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-10-2010 at 08:07 PM.

vCash
    I just thought of something, maybe Caroline is slow because her legs are kind of short? I was watching videos of her and she has a very long torso (gives her an elegant look) and proportionally, her legs and arms are shorter. Compared to other skaters of the same approximate height, Mao, Yuna, Mirai, Alissa, etc, they all appear to have much longer legs than Caroline and are all faster.
    If that were the case, skaters like Naomi Nari Nam and Midori Ito should have been very slow skaters, but they weren't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    If that were the case, skaters like Naomi Nari Nam and Midori Ito should have been very slow skaters, but they weren't.
    Fair point. Although when your legs make up so much of your height like someone like Yuna's do, it probably makes things a little easier. My dad and I walk super fast and my mom thinks its because both of us have really long legs (though neither of us is tall). Watching Caroline, it's actually quite amazing she can land her jumps as often as she does considering most of them she enters at almost a complete standstill. She must be really strong.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast