Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^ Good point. Let her take the time and be patient. Results won't happen overnight even though some seem to want it to. It worked for Rochette after all. Years of inconsistency and then it suddenly clicked.

Not saying the same thing will happen with Zhang but it's her only choice if she wants any kind of success in today's skating comps.

vCash
    Who's her current coach? Still Li Mingzhu?

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ^ Good point. Let her take the time and be patient. Results won't happen overnight even though some seem to want it to. It worked for Rochette after all. Years of inconsistency and then it suddenly clicked.

Not saying the same thing will happen with Zhang but it's her only choice if she wants any kind of success in today's skating comps.
    I agree about patience. I am sure this period is more frustrating for her than it is to anyone else. I wish her all the best.

But to digress a little, flutz aside, Rochette has always had solid technique and a good feel for jumping. It wasn't a miracle that she fixed her flutz rather quickly. I am not sure if I can say the same about Zhang. Best of luck I guess.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-10-2010 at 04:42 AM.

vCash
    I am with you ChibiChibi....I would really love to have her succeed.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Well, I know that Caroline is still relevant. If you search "Caroline Zhang" on YouTube, then sort results by date, this is what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=17%2C10&uni=3

I figure if the fan warriors think she is important, she must be.

( Though seriously, this nonsense has got to stop at some point. )
    Last edited by Polymer Bob; 05-10-2010 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    But to digress a little, flutz aside, Rochette has always had solid technique and a good feel for jumping. It wasn't a miracle that she fixed her flutz rather quickly. I am not sure if I can say the same about Zhang. Best of luck I guess.
    Agreed. Rochette actually had some of the nicest jumps even before she fixed her flutz, which coated her two seasons of inconsisency with that jump. Carolne in comparison has A LOT more issues with jumping. I'd be beyond impressed if she's able to fix them all. All the best to her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Agreed. Rochette actually had some of the nicest jumps even before she fixed her flutz, which coated her two seasons of inconsisency with that jump. Carolne in comparison has A LOT more issues with jumping. I'd be beyond impressed if she's able to fix them all. All the best to her!
    Because her issues are not jumps. She needs edges...in fact basic skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Her jump issues are epic.

She has technique issues with 4 out of 6 types of jumps. Only her toe and sal jumps are decent. She overtwists her shoulder and hips on the loop takeoff, mule kicks and overtwists her hip on the flip takeoff, mule kicks; overtwists her hip and flutzes the lutz takeoff, and way overskids the axel takeoff.

Because of her unorthodox technique she doesn't get much size to her jumps at all and virtually no flow in and out. That's a big quality issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Her issues ARE jumps, and edges and basic skating on top of it. Mostly jumps though. But even if she fixes her jumps she needs to figure out how to get her PCS up because this season her PCS in the LP internationally has not broken 50, and really to be competitive internationally you want PCS in AT LEAST the mid 50s for the LP, preferably 60+. So she really needs to work on presentation and basic skating and speed and jumps. Lots of things to work on.

vCash
    To put things in perspective, Amanda Dobbs and Christina Gao beat Caroline in PCS in the LP at nationals, I think that speaks a lot to the level Caroline's basics are at.

vCash
    Possibly, but Caroline had the same basics the previous season and got higher PCS. In fact, the Japanese paid her $30,000 at the World Team Trophy for her poor basics. So what happened? Something must have been going on last season that we still don't know about.
    Last edited by Polymer Bob; 05-11-2010 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    13-15 y.o. Caroline was a tiny kid with amazing flexibility and spins, she was lovely to watch and in such a young age, so the judges forgave her poor basics and gave her high scores. And she had no reasons to fix her technique then, 'cause her scores were high enough. But now she is a senior skater and it doesn't work. She has grown a lot since last season and obviously not a tiny kid anymore, now judges are demanding with her just like with any other senior lady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    In fact, the Japanese paid her $30,000 at the World Team Trophy for her poor basics. So what happened? Something must have been going last season that we still don't know about.
    As you said, she sold whatever basics she had to the Japanese for $30,000.
    Last edited by Squibble; 05-11-2010 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    13-15 y.o. Caroline was a tiny kid with amazing flexibility and spins, she was lovely to watch and in such a young age, so the judges forgave her poor basics and gave her high scores. And she had no reasons to fix her technique then, 'cause her scores were high enough. But now she is a senior skater and it doesn't work. She has grown a lot since last season and obviously not a tiny kid anymore, now judges are demanding with her just like with any other senior lady
    Exactly. Caroline's technique has always been awful, but her jumps were actually higher when she was a 4'9" wunderkind than they are now. Also speed, you know it's one thing if a tiny little girl skates slowly because she has short legs, but I mean, Caroline is now as tall as Yuna Kim and still skates as slow as the itty-btty junior skaters she towers above. Also, Caroline's PCS have never been much better than they are now, they just seemed better when she was competing in junior competitions where the PCS are always lower.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Caroline's PCS have never been much better than they are now, they just seemed better when she was competing in junior competitions where the PCS are always lower.
    Last year, Caroline was top American lady at Four Continents. Was she skating in the junior segment of the competition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    As you said, she sold whatever basics she had to the Japanese for $30,000.
    What a rip-off!

vCash
    Last year, Caroline was top American lady at Four Continents. Was she skating in the junior segment of the competition?
    Ahead of Dobbs and Gilles.

And this was the pre-Olympic 4CCs

Dobbs was a nobody, only landed 3toes, 3sals and 2axels, fell and still equalled Zhang's PCS and was only behind by 2.5 points overall. Dobbs actually beat Zhang in PCS too. Get a clue.

This refusal to acknowledge her flaws is just

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ahead of Dobbs and Gilles.

And this was the pre-Olympic 4CCs

Dobbs was a nobody, only landed 3toes, 3sals and 2axels, fell and still equalled Zhang's PCS and was only behind by 2.5 points overall. Dobbs actually beat Zhang in PCS too. Get a clue.

This refusal to acknowledge her flaws is just
    At 4CC 2009, Caroline beat both Alissa and Rachael.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    At 4CC 2009, Caroline beat both Alissa and Rachael.
    Oh that 4th place was very respectable and absolutely the best she could have done.

Unfortunately her beating Czisny and Flatt was more of a negative reflection on the latter than it was a positive for the former.

She got the lowest PCS in the final group and even lost it to Czisny who didn't skate in the final group. So ultimately she didn't medal even though she won TES on the night.

I am not sure if people realised the trend for the judging: her PCS hasn't been improving much in the past years and her ability to rely on TES has reduced. She needs to work on both sides if she wants to become competitive again.

vCash
    With all the talk of PCS, TES, GOE, whatever, .... there is one metric that no ISU rule can distort. That is the standing ovations. Caroline received several in the '08 - '09 season, but none last season. This proves that something was wrong. She did not skate as well last season as she did the season before. I never believed that her lower scores last season were the result of judges making a conscious decision to score her lower.

Unless maybe the audiences all agreed to subdue their applause.

vCash
    With all the talk of PCS, TES, GOE, whatever, .... there is one metric that no ISU rule can distort. That is the standing ovations. Caroline received several in the '08 - '09 season, but none last season. This proves that something was wrong. She did not skate as well last season as she did the season before. I never believed that her lower scores last season were the result of judges making a conscious decision to score her lower.
    Are you trying to suggest that judges only base their scores on the loudness of applause from the audience? Huh??

In that case maybe the judges are just no longer excited by her flexibility and spins after a couple of years since her debut and are starting to notice her glaring weaknesses just like the rest of the audience. It's not that hard.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast