Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

While we knew she was struggling, I never would have predicted such a low finish for Caroline at Nationals this year. She had no life, no spark, she looked like she wanted to be anywhere but on the ice there. Then at 4CC, she came back a bit. What are your thoughts? Is she done or is she going to stay in the game, and what does she need to do to stay competitive?

My honest thought? She needs to go back to the drawing board and rework her jumps, especially toe jumps and get rid of that horrid and injurious mule kick technique. What does everyone else think?
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Get faster and learn a new jumping technique. I like her skating, so I'd be happy to see her getting good results.

vCash
    She needs to find a coach that she will respect and listen to. Then train everything from the beginning. It would take a year of discipline but she could be reborn.

vCash
    I think what she needs to work is obvious to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by officialcoach View Post
    She needs to find a coach that she will respect and listen to. Then train everything from the beginning. It would take a year of discipline but she could be reborn.
    I agree the problem is that she doesn't respect her coach, but isn't her mother interfering in CZ's training a big part of the problem?

vCash
    Personally, I want her to switch to Pairs. I know she'd still need to work on her technique and everything, but I think she could make a lovely pairs skater.

vCash
    This may sound grim to some but I think she's done- as far as being a top-level skater goes.

It's interesting how she and Mirai Nagasu were on about the same level three years ago. The paths both have taken since couldn't be any more different, and it shows in the results, IMHO.

Doesn't mean she (CZ) can't prove me wrong but frankly I'd be surprised at any sort of come-back, especially if what I hear is true.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    She needs to get an actual coach, like Frank Carroll. I never understood why she went back to Zhang. She really has nothing to lose.

vCash
    normally i would agree-with zhang and nagasu being on same level 3 years ago
    but within 3 years how much nitpicking and pointing out zhang mistakes constantly by fans on all forums versus pointing out nagasu mistakes
    nagasu had some yes-but were they ALL pointed out like zhangs --no .
    it seemed since zhang jumped went to the senior gp events at 14 everyone villfied and punished her for it.
    seems like lets get zhang before she gets ahead lets purposely knock down a 14, 15 16 year.
    some even stated lets overlook flatt, nagasu mistakes,
    when i or someone else pointed out their mistakes you guys villfied me. or flat out stated i was wrong, when i point out rachel, mirai, alissa, ashley mistakes you flat out told me i was wrong =they don't make those mistakes.or ignore and tell me i am mut.so now that you fans have zhang where you want her. you people are wondering how to get her back up there.
    i don't buy it-you never wanted her up there in the first place, and if she happends to get up there again. i expect to see the fans base of other skaters knock her down again.

vCash
    I think there's too much work to do. Her jumps need to be completely revamped (is there a single jump she has good technique on?) and she needs to work extensively on her basics.

vCash
    I think unless she reworks both her jump technique and poor basic skating from scratch she will stay buried in the U.S ranks.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    She needs to get an actual coach, like Frank Carroll. I never understood why she went back to Zhang. She really has nothing to lose.
    This. She has technical problems and she can't fix them if she won't listen to the person trying to help her. Especially since Nagasu apparently decided to do that and is now up near the top again, and you have Wagner and Flatt around, plus girls like Gao coming up.

Then again, there IS pairs.

vCash
    Would Zhang be able to keep up with a male pair skater? I can't imagine a pair's PCS being very good if they move across the ice like snails.

vCash
    Pairs for Zhang? How would she do well in pairs. Her most amazing assets of spins and spirals would be of no use in the pairs really, what man could she find to match her spins or spirals (the bit of spirals pairs do). She would still need to totally rework her basic skating and jump technique. What man could skate that slowly and enter jumps so slowly, and even if he could it be pretty bad.

vCash
    It's interesting. When I watched her skating as a junior, her speed was better and the funny kicks in her jumps weren't as noticeable. I think her growth spurt made these things more noticeable. Besides the jumps and speed, Caroline has a lot of nice qualities. Even as a junior, she always seemed very mature and polished. She needs a lot of work to do in terms of technique but nothing is impossible and I hope she comes back better in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Pairs for Zhang? How would she do well in pairs. Her most amazing assets of spins and spirals would be of no use in the pairs really, what man could she find to match her spins or spirals (the bit of spirals pairs do). She would still need to totally rework her basic skating and jump technique. What man could skate that slowly and enter jumps so slowly, and even if he could it be pretty bad.
    I agree, but because her basics are not good. SO, I don't see her doing well a sbs triple jump.
    Anyway, she could use her flexibility the way Natalia Mishkutienok did with her strong partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I agree, but because her basics are not good. SO, I don't see her doing well a sbs triple jump.
    Anyway, she could use her flexibility the way Natalia Mishkutienok did with her strong partner.
    True and Natalia wasnt the best jumper either (she had consistency troubles with the SBS triple toes and double axels). Natalia's basic skating was miles better than Caroline at this point though.

In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash
    Caroline needs a coach who will bar her mother from the rink.

vCash
    Somewhat OT - but I've fantasized about CZ going to Frank Carroll. I wonder what he could do with her. Boot in the a$$ [proverbially speaking of course] ?

Speaking of skating mothers, I wonder how FC handled Tiffany Chin's mom when Tiffany was with him?

vCash
    I doubt very much FC would take on Zhang now that he is coaching Nagasu and that is starting to go very well. He wouldnt take on another noteable U.S skater, one who used to be a major rival of Nagasu. It is totally different than also coaching Kostner, and who knows if that will even last or Kostner's career for that matter. Why would he risk upsetting his best prospect for the coming years by taking on a weaker skater.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast