Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    For those of you who can't afford to travel to Portland, OR and would like a cheaper skating comp. alternative , the 3 U.S. Sectional Championships (final qualifier for 2011 Nationals) will be held the same week as Skate America -- Easterns in Aston, PA; Mids in Ann Arbor, MI; Pacific Coasts in Culver City, CA -- dates are November 9-13, 2010.

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia. Will keep Culver City in my mind. I don't think it's THAT far from my office!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Already planning to be in Aston!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    ^
    This is a real person, not a pseud of mine.

or Rob's (as far as I know )
    :-) Nope, I am definitely a complete separate person. I volunteered at Worlds in 2003 and keep hoping DC has another skating competition so I can do it again. Also a fan of LP because I grew up in Syracuse and my family and I would go there every summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I love Portland! That was one of my favorite Nats. So easy to get around on the MAX (it's FREE to ride downtown). I'm pleasantly surprised that SA is being held in a major city. I feel like I've been to the west coast a gazillion times in the past two years, but flying to Portland from New Orleans is still a helluva lot easier than schlepping all the way to the boonies of Lake Placid.
    Are you definitely going?

I was going to go if it was in Lake Placid again because I really enjoyed that drive but now I'm thinking I may try for Nats instead.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by newbatgirl View Post
    Are you definitely going?

I was going to go if it was in Lake Placid again because I really enjoyed that drive but now I'm thinking I may try for Nats instead.
    I was going regardless of the location I'm so excited about it being in Portland, though. Great memories from Nats, and I visited there again last summer and loved it. Sorry to all the LP ubers, but I really didn't see what was so great about it. The places I ate weren't anything special, the lack of a host hotel cut down on the voids, the arena food was really bad, and getting to it required almost three hours of driving after being in a plane all day. I actually preferred Reading....

LadyNit, the judges were around Sections 101-102 for Nats at the Rose Garden. I'm assuming the setup will be similar
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    To the person who asked about SC earlier in the thread -- if we knew where SC 2010 is, we'd tell you!

I like Portland. I've been there a couple times. I'd love to go to SA, but that late into November starts getting into report card time and parent-teacher conferences. However, I'm not ruling anything out...maybe hubby can find a conference there at the same time...maybe...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I like Portland. I've been there a couple times. I'd love to go to SA, but that late into November starts getting into report card time and parent-teacher conferences. However, I'm not ruling anything out...maybe hubby can find a conference there at the same time...maybe...
    Do them via videoconference:

"Little Johnny is doing great."
    "Little Susie is doing great."
    "Little Nicky is dong great."
    "Ice resurfacing over...gotta go..."

vCash
    Hurray - SA is really in Portland OR??? For sure??? If so, I'm going!! Does anybody know if tickets are available yet??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Do them via videoconference:

"Little Johnny is doing great."
    "Little Susie is doing great."
    "Little Nicky is dong great."
    "Ice resurfacing over...gotta go..."
    I love it!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Ooh, sweet!

vCash
    I have never been to Portland, and want to go.
    Question for folks that have been there before.
    Looks like lots of hotels near arena. Is it safe to walk back to hotel after skating in the evening? Looks like some restaurants in area, so active area?
    Just curious for planning. Ok to stay nearby and walk, or stay whereever and drive??

vCash
    Really tempted!! If only I knew what country I'll be living in in November! ...

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I was SO excited to get that FOFS email about the SA location earlier today! I absolutely loved Portland when I was there in 2005. That's my second favorite US Nationals (gee, wonder which recent one is my first favorite, LOL ) and I've been wanting to go back there for a while now. I did the 'west coast for just the weekend' trip for Spokane not long ago so I have no problem doing it for another long weekend. I'm probably driving to US Nats in Greensboro so a plane trip in the fall isn't as big of a burden. I'm definitely looking into going and can't wait to see that city again. I'm also dragging not only my mother but Discoduck too although I haven't had to do much much arm twisting with her, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Already planning to be in Aston!
    Me, too!

provided I don't break any bones 2 weeks before....

I checked out flight options to Portland and it's way too expensive (and then add hotel, tix, food...). I'm looking forward to Nats.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Looks like lots of hotels near arena. Is it safe to walk back to hotel after skating in the evening? Looks like some restaurants in area, so active area?
    Just curious for planning. Ok to stay nearby and walk, or stay whereever and drive??
    I would recommend one of the hotels that are located near the MAX light rail. It stops right outside the arena, and there are lots of hotels downtown located within a block or two from the MAX line. The MAX is free to ride downtown, and it's really quick to get from place to place.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    I was SO excited to get that FOFS email about the SA location earlier today! I absolutely loved Portland when I was there in 2005. That's my second favorite US Nationals (gee, wonder which recent one is my first favorite, LOL ) and I've been wanting to go back there for a while now. I did the 'west coast for just the weekend' trip for Spokane not long ago so I have no problem doing it for another long weekend. I'm probably driving to US Nats in Greensboro so a plane trip in the fall isn't as big of a burden. I'm definitely looking into going and can't wait to see that city again. I'm also dragging not only my mother but Discoduck too although I haven't had to do much much arm twisting with her, LOL
    Wheee!!!!! So excited to see all of you again!!!!! Weird to think that we didn't even know each other when we were last in Portland!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Hmmm, I've been looking for an excuse for years to visit Portland. I've been to the other large cities in the Pac Northwest (Seattle, Victoria, and Vancouver), but never to Portland. Too bad SA isn't the first event of the season though, as I'd be much more interested in traveling to Portland in mid-late October than mid November (rainfall amounts ramp up substantially - nearly doubling from October to November). I'll definitely have to think about this one...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    We stayed near the arena in 2005 and yes, it was totally safe to walk back at night.

vCash
    Woohoo!!

This is literally in my backyard and I'm thrilled! Not that I'm biased or anything , but The Rose Garden is great and having practice ice right next door makes Portland one of the very best venues. I knew skating would be back here sooner or later.

vCash
    Yay!!

Portland is doable. . .especially if some of us traveling from Vancouver or Seattle carpool.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast