Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Four Continents was not only on the same continent but in the same city 2 years in a row (2005-6 Colorado Springs)? Wow. That does seem unfair - to the other 3 continents!

I'd call Colorado Springs Mid-West, but I do agree that the West Coast has had the lion's share of US competition since 2000. Even more if you count SC 2006 and FCC in 2009 (and of course the Olys). But I'm not complaining!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Four Continents was not only on the same continent but in the same city 2 years in a row (2005-6 Colorado Springs)? Wow. That does seem unfair - to the other 3 continents!
    Huh? That's not accurate. 2005 4CC was in Korea. 2007 4CC was in Colorado Springs.

IIRC 2004 GPF was in Colorado Springs.

I'll go check.

ETA hmm okay it was in Colorado Springs 2 years in a row but it was 06 & 07. I don't remember 06 at all.

which gPF was there?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Huh? That's not accurate. 2005 4CC was in Korea. 2007 4CC was in Colorado Springs.

IIRC 2004 GPF was in Colorado Springs.

I'll go check.

ETA hmm okay it was in Colorado Springs 2 years in a row but it was 06 & 07. I don't remember 06 at all.

which gPF was there?
    The one in December of 2003

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I love the PNW. I wish I could go, but that's right in the middle of the semester.
    Give your students a test or a really long essay. I want to meet your evilness in person.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I am making changes to the list as we go.

I don't think ISU has had the easiest time finding venues for 4CC so that is why Co took it twice. Co Spr also had Skate America 3 years in a row 1999-2001. So they step up.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I love Portland! That was one of my favorite Nats. So easy to get around on the MAX (it's FREE to ride downtown). I'm pleasantly surprised that SA is being held in a major city. I feel like I've been to the west coast a gazillion times in the past two years, but flying to Portland from New Orleans is still a helluva lot easier than schlepping all the way to the boonies of Lake Placid.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Lake Placid was my favorite place for a skating competition ever (okay except Washington DC but that doesn't count).
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I thought Portland was great for Nationals, and the practice arena was right next door which was so convenient. Not sure if I can go (definitely am going to Nationals in NC though), but the area was nice and there were a lot of hotels conveniently close, and getting to the area via from the airport was amazingly easy.

And there was a shopping mall close by with a rink in that a lot of competitors used. I got to see Kimmie Meissner trying her 3A probably about 50 times one afternoon. And speaking of malls, Oregon has no sales tax!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Bringing Albinoni Back
    vCash
    I loved Nats in Portland! Hopefully I can work it out and go this year. HeatherC is already trying to convince me.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Lake Placid was my favorite place for a skating competition ever (okay except Washington DC but that doesn't count).
    It may have been mine, too. The place was magical.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Mine too. I love LP and all the shops, restaurants, things to do. Hmmmmm BR, cough icedancecomp cough.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Mine too. I love LP and all the shops, restaurants, things to do. Hmmmmm BR, cough icedancecomp cough.
    yeah but I'm probably going to be glued to some other mountains about that time...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I know a lot of people will be pissed about this, but: WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

:biggrin:
    Tell me about it. That just SUCKS! Sometimes I wonder why I bother being a skating fan anymore, it's a recipe for frustration.

I guess I can be a little happy for those of you out there having the 100th event in 5 years near you.

I was thinking that if SA wasn't near me I'd gear up for the drive, risk the possibility of being snowed in and make the drive to Greensboro, but since they've put an event in the NW ONCE AGAIN, I'm thinking I might have something else to do with my money.
    Last edited by RobinA; 03-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.

vCash
    I am starting to think about attending my first ever grand prix event, west coast is ok for me!!

Though I dont have vacations until december 1st, will try to consider maybe a late attending if I can take my days off work before

vCash
    Portland, Ore., is much easier to get to for most people than Lake Placid, so that's a good thing. (Sorry but multiple planes and then a bus ride are not that easy for people unless you're already on the east coast or have an extended amount of time to travel.) Plus, nationals was good when it was held there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    Portland, Ore., is much easier to get to for most people than Lake Placid, so that's a good thing. (Sorry but multiple planes and then a bus ride are not that easy for people unless you're already on the east coast or have an extended amount of time to travel.) Plus, nationals was good when it was held there.
    I live in Atlanta I can get to Portland quicker then Lake Placid. (Heck I got to TEB quicker then Lake Placid)

I realize that no matter WHERE the have it some posters will be upset that it's not in THIER backyard, but looking at the list I don't see the "every event is on the "x" coast" trend that others do. There is a tilt towards the west, but there have been things on the east to even it out.

I think a large issue is WHERE can they afford to have these events. They aren't the money makers of years past, USFSA wants the "host" city to commit to a LOT of support. Something tells me the "pool of applicants" may not be very deep!

vCash
    Can anyone tell me where Skate Canada is the end of October??
    Kathryn

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    I don't know I didn't have any problem whatsoever getting to Lake Placid. I don't think people need to complain about every place that isn't convenient for them. Events have been rotating between East and West (Midwest is getting short shrift) so I don't see a reason to be particularly upset about one location or another. (Neither Everett nor Spokane were easy for East Coast people to get to, so I think others can deal with Lake Placid not being a good location for them.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Tell me about it. That just SUCKS! Sometimes I wonder why I bother being a skating fan anymore, it's a recipe for frustration.

I guess I can be a little happy for those of you out there having the 100th event in 5 years near you.

I was thinking that if SA wasn't near me I'd gear up for the drive, risk the possibility of being snowed in and make the drive to Greensboro, but since they've put an event in the NW ONCE AGAIN, I'm thinking I might have something else to do with my money.
    I agree. What a bummer. Does anyone know if LP even bid on it again, or was it just a rumor?
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

vCash
    I don't know I didn't have any problem whatsoever getting to Lake Placid. I don't think people need to complain about every place that isn't convenient for them. Events have been rotating between East and West (Midwest is getting short shrift) so I don't see a reason to be particularly upset about one location or another. (Neither Everett nor Spokane were easy for East Coast people to get to, so I think others can deal with Lake Placid not being a good location for them.)
    Yes, there is no place where every one will be happy but as far as travel, I think it's a lot easier for the majority of people to get to Portland (direct flights from major hubs like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Tokyo, Vancouver, Denver, Phoenix, Chicago, etc.). Lake Placid is a place I've been to many times and every time, it's a pain in the ass. I'm excited to go some place where there is a major airport! (By miles, I live closer to LP.) I don't want to take two or three flights then a bus ride. It's a beautiful city but it's a trek to get there. It's like 10 hours at minimum from my location in a major U.S. city. I know other people had complaints. We'll complain about everything.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast