Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Oh, of course someone has to go all dictionary on me.....

Know what? I really don't care that the dictionary includes it as a verb. It is probably doing so because the business world has decided to use it as one. It is not a common usage and your dictionary definition lists no example. It also notes that as a verb it is used with an object. Holly used it with a prepositional phrase and no direct object--"tasked with..."--so she was still incorrect.

And it also sounds stupid.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Oh, of course someone has to go all dictionary on me.....

Know what? I really don't care that the dictionary includes it as a verb.
    You don't have to like it (I don't care for that usage either - agree that it sounds like corporate-speak, like "growing your business" which drives me up a wall), but if it's in the dictionary, she wasn't wrong.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    You don't have to like it (I don't care for that usage either - agree that it sounds like corporate-speak, like "growing your business" which drives me up a wall), but if it's in the dictionary, she wasn't wrong.
    Actually, according to your dictionary explanation, it is used as a verb with an object. In the boardroom she used it this way "Curtis and Summer were tasked with..."

That was incorrect because the only object in the sentence was the object of the preposition "with". There was no object for the verb. Her first usage, "I tasked Curtis and Summer with...." was okay because "Curtis" and "Summer" were objects of her verb "tasked". Her second usage was incorrect.

However, I firmly believe that we should avoid sounding stupid even if our stupidity is correct according to the dictionary or the rules of grammar. It is perfectly grammatical for my students, for example, to write in a persuasive essay a sentence that begins "when you are executed". If an independent clause follows that phrase, everything is punctuated correctly, and all the words are used correctly, there is nothing wrong with the sentence. It is still not a good sentence to put in an essay, though, because none of their readers (usually me and a few of their classmates) are facing execution. So the grammatically correct, and correct-according-to-the-dictionary sentence is, in fact, problematic and should not be used.

Speaking and writing effectively are matters of more complexity than just following rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Know what? I really don't care that the dictionary includes it as a verb. It is probably doing so because the business world has decided to use it as one. It is not a common usage and your dictionary definition lists no example. It also notes that as a verb it is used with an object. Holly used it with a prepositional phrase and no direct object--"tasked with..."--so she was still incorrect.

And it also sounds stupid.
    "Tasked" is used as a very quite commonly and I don't think it sounds stupid at all. We word-types all have are peculiarities in terms of likes and dislikes, but that doesn't mean that what we dislike is wrong. I don't care for "the fact that" and the repetition of the same proposition in one sentence, but neither is wrong.

"I was tasked with the duty of caring for the children" is pretty much the same as "I was delegated the duty of caring for the children". But 'tasked with' denotes more responsibility than 'delegated' and the nuance can make the use of 'tasked' preferable.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    "Irregardless" drives me crazy.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

vCash
    How about "orientated" That one really get's me!!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    For my fellow grammar cops (mid-April thread)

:kisses:

We know return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Uh, oh, Summer is using "task" as a verb now.

Cindy is being warned again about being ditzy (they don't use that word). Holly feels Cindy needs to be kept in line and Curtis thinks they're "bitchy."

Curtis can't write a proper jingle for the plumbing company because he speaks "Australian."

Wow, Bret has an incredibly good speaking voice in the commercials.
    Last edited by soxxy; 05-03-2010 at 03:17 AM.

vCash
    Wow, these guys are ultra-square. I'd love to see how they'd react to that one team's risque Tide commercial from last season.

And Rocksolid with the surprise victory!
    Last edited by martian_girl; 05-03-2010 at 03:36 AM.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Uh, oh, Summer is using "task" as a verb now.

In the boardroom, Summer was all "tasked" this and "tasked" that.

Bret's voice is great. Glad that Rocksolid won, and looking forward to Curtis being with Sharon and Maria next week after their in the boardroom. Looks like some next week.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Cindy is being warned again about being ditzy (they don't use that word). Holly feels Cindy needs to be kept in line and Curtis thinks they're "bitchy."

Curtis can't write a proper jingle for the plumbing company because he speaks "Australian."

Cindy is ditzy. I do love her though, and the other women do seem to be out to get her.

I was really impressed with Bret's voice too! I loved the "suits" reaction to him turning the other team's signs around!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Holy cats is Bret Michaels just unbelievably creative. Love that he did rein it in but he was willing to stick to his vision and knew that if it didn't work he was the only choice to go. I was not surprised at all that Rock Solid won. I even thought the plumber commercial was awesome - he actually took what the CEO said to heart and flipped the crack joke on its head and refocused the ad on the talent/workmanship of the plumbers. I can't help but think that the CEOs discussed this and we just didn't see it to add a tiny bit of question at the boardroom. Aside from the huge creative imbalance, I liked that Bret was involved in all 3 ads (he really does have a great voice for radio work), and Sharon did voice work on one too.

LOVED Cyndi telling Holly "I know about singing live - it's what I do for a living". I got the impression that Holly wanted to shine as the singer in the ads, not Cyndi. I mean seriously, does anyone think Cyndi freakin Lauper would've sung live if she thought she wasn't able?

I think it was right to fire Summer. Curtis didn't have any talent for the creative on this task, and while he thought the direction was too square he didn't voice his opposition much, but I think Summer made a huge mistake in assigning one ad to each person instead of looking at the talent she had and making the two singers work on jingles and she and Curtis could have worked on the scripts. I also think there was a better way to handle Curtis using Australian syntax...Summer and Holly acted like he was too stupid to understand American idioms. Anyway, I think it was the right choice.

Ooooh, next week looks evil. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump decided to keep Curtis specifically to toss him in a team with Sharon and Maria

Love that Summer went down the elevator in a cocktail dress and emerged on the street wearing pants.

Oh, and Eric Trump is so much better looking like Donny Jr that I wonder what the Trumps' 1980s postman looked like.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Oh, and Eric Trump is so much better looking like Donny Jr that I wonder what the Trumps' 1980s postman looked like.
    I find the two of them equally unattractive, perhaps Eric a bit more so than Don. No doubt Donald is the dad.

IMO Ivanka is the beautiful one of the three.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    oh was that Eric? I thought DT 2.0 screwed up his hair even worse
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Curtis - what is going on? He has come across as quite capable the whole season, and he has made comments about where he is not strong. But they think he is dumb because he is Aussie? And Maria & Sharon don't like him? Editing?? or what?? I just don't get it.
    Also, I think Sharon would turn on Maria in a heartbeat.

Bret does continue to impress. Plus he seems to be so happy and loves to be doing this.

The Holly/Cyndi thing is getting old.
    Holly's family is adorable.

vCash
    I was surprised at the Curtis hate too. Don't know a thing about him besides this show but I've never seen anything to hate on. Edits probably.

Wanted Holly to leave last night, as much as I find Summer weak, Holly just bugs me. I like strong women but not mean, angry little women. And whether she is or not IRL, that's how she's coming across to me.

Bret is a revelation each and every show. Definately impressive.

Oh, and just to add. It does seem Trump has made his choice already. Congratulating Sharon even before PM Bret last night.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Curtis - what is going on? He has come across as quite capable the whole season, and he has made comments about where he is not strong. But they think he is dumb because he is Aussie? And Maria & Sharon don't like him? Editing?? or what?? I just don't get it.
    I think the hassle between Maira, Sharon and Curtis was brought on by Maria "stealing" a piece of Curtis' team's pizza because Bret was hungry, and Curtis noticed and didn't say anything.....he may have looked stern. From there Sharon expressed something like Curtis is a 33 year old guy who is something like stuck on himself. I really see no evidence of that; he just comes across as confident, something Sharon herself surely is, as well. Much ado about nothing.

vCash
    I think the hassle between Maira, Sharon and Curtis was brought on by Maria "stealing" a piece of Curtis' team's pizza because Bret was hungry, and Curtis noticed and didn't say anything.....he may have looked stern.

I got the impression he had a lot to say about it. Didn't they show a scene of him chasing Maria? And Bret said something about him being really pissed?

I just think the entire fuss he made about was edited out.

vCash
    I love watching Bret in action and hope he gets better soon, and wow! what a voice!!

I think the final showdown will be between Cindi and Sharon. You can tell they are Trump's favorites. Unless they screw up big time, they're a shoo-in.

Tenacity it seems goes with the same theme for commercials, working mom with no time to spare, blah blah blah. Not very original.

I loved Bret's plumbing "crack" commercial, and it very subtley made fun of the plumber stereotype without insulting them.

I think the two execs were impressed with Bret's demeanor and the way he introduced them to the commercials - very friendly but professional. He made an excellent impression.

Sharon, Maria and Bret worked so well together, I hate to see them split up next week. Chemistry between Bret and Holly should be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I love watching Bret in action and hope he gets better soon, and wow! what a voice!!

I think the final showdown will be between Cindi and Sharon. You can tell they are Trump's favorites. Unless they screw up big time, they're a shoo-in.

Tenacity it seems goes with the same theme for commercials, working mom with no time to spare, blah blah blah. Not very original.

I loved Bret's plumbing "crack" commercial, and it very subtley made fun of the plumber stereotype without insulting them.

I think the two execs were impressed with Bret's demeanor and the way he introduced them to the commercials - very friendly but professional. He made an excellent impression.

Sharon, Maria and Bret worked so well together, I hate to see them split up next week. Chemistry between Bret and Holly should be interesting.
    Holly should have been in the boardroom, not Cyndi. She kept pushing to keep it ultra-conservative. Cyndi was saying they needed some edge. Their ads were exactly like every ad for every such company that is on the radio every morning and afternoon commute--a lot of "jabber" as Bret put it. And I always end up changing the station.

Bret being stuck between Holly and Cyndi for a task....have his doctors looked into that experience as a possible cause of his brain hemorrhage? Perhaps seeing the two of them on the television as the show has aired brought it all back?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast