Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Corey Haim Just Died

Actor Corey Haim died at the age of 38 early Wednesday morning.

The LAPD said Haim was taken to St. Joseph's hospital in Burbank, where he was pronounced dead at about 3:30 a.m.

According to the LAPD, Haim had been staying with his mother in North Hollywood, and the death appears to have been an accidental death.
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ent&id=7322384

They're saying drug overdose

vCash
    Sad, but no surprise. He's been circling the drain for some time now. Too bad, he was so young.

vCash
    He was so troubled, this wasn't unexpected, but it's so sad.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    There always seems to be so many people around when these kid stars are making coin, but once they get into trouble, no one seems to be around...IIRC he was on True Hollywood Story a few years back, and his parents had pretty much written him off.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Drugs are bad, mmkay?

So sad.

vCash
    I know this was not unexpected. But there are so many young celebrities out there who are in similar situations. How many really talented young people have died tragically, from accidental overdoses, in the last several months/years? This is incredibly sad, and sadder still because we can probably expect others to die in the same manner. I know that "show business" is a tough industry and life, but isn't anyone paying attention to these young, vulnerable people? I also know this happens to "ordinary" people as well, and we just don't hear about it. Is it me, or is dying from drug overdoses becoming more common? Is it that it was covered up in the past? It's just so senseless and sad. Are we fooling ourselves with D.A.R.E. programs? Probably . What does it take to really teach kids about drugs? How do we make them understand that it's not always something you can just try or do occasionally? There are even new reports out about marijuana use. That frequent use can cause chronic psychosis. As in paranoia so intense that it looks like what John Nash experienced.

vCash
    Hopefully now he is at peace. Thanks for the memories. R.I.P.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    It's really hard, being a former child star. A friend of mine is a former child star - he'd worked under an assumed name, so he's able to just be himself now. He was big back in the 1980s, though. Kind of a tiny heartthrob. He was actually kind of lucky - his career was longer than that of most kids, as he worked until he was around age 19, transitioning from child star to teen heartthrob.

He's told me that it was really, really hard, when that "transition" time came. It's not that he didn't want to keep acting - its that he was no longer offered the roles, because he wasn't that cute boy-turned hot teen any longer. And it's not that he doesn't have the chops - he does. He's seriously good. But... really, by the time he was of a certain age, his career was over. He did, in his 20's, change his acting name to his real name, and he did work in theater as any journeyman actor might, but he never got back to what he had as a kid in film and tv. He's now retired from acting, doing other things, but to be honest, he's kind of messed up. He's a great guy, sweet as heck, but he's troubled.

He's told me that growing up on film and tv, drugs were *everywhere*. He was exposed to stuff that most of us have never even heard of until we're nearly adults, and he saw it as normal by age 8, because on set, it *was* normal. IMO, it'd take one extremely involved and grounded parent to keep a kid on track through all that, and a very supportive, sane, and grounded group of actors and etc. around him. The likelihood of having all that fall into place...
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    He's told me that growing up on film and tv, drugs were *everywhere*. He was exposed to stuff that most of us have never even heard of until we're nearly adults, and he saw it as normal by age 8, because on set, it *was* normal. IMO, it'd take one extremely involved and grounded parent to keep a kid on track through all that, and a very supportive, sane, and grounded group of actors and etc. around him. The likelihood of having all that fall into place...
    (((your friend))). I understand what you're saying, and know it's all true. What is really awful is that it's accepted. And aren't the terms "grounded parent" and "child star parent", by definition a contradiction? The "stage" parents I dealt with, when I worked in advertising, would give you nightmares. And it's not just "show business", I've seen it in modeling, skating, other sports, many fields where your career is over as a teen. It seems that society eats them up and spits them out when they are no longer what they want.

vCash
    This is so sad, but as others have said, not unexpected. I just hate to hear it. When you have someone who is so obviously troubled, you are rooting for them to overcome their problems and when you hear that they've passed away, it's so disappointing. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I always keep hoping for the best for people like Corey, and sometimes it happens, but most often it doesn't. Such a tragically short life. He was about my age, and it makes me get all morbid and wonder how much time I have left.

Thanks for the memories. R.I.P. Corey.

vCash
    (((((((((((Lucas))))))))))) I loved that movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    There always seems to be so many people around when these kid stars are making coin, but once they get into trouble, no one seems to be around...IIRC he was on True Hollywood Story a few years back, and his parents had pretty much written him off.
    At that point, who could blame them?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    There is problem with the expectations of that generation . . . my generation . . . so sad

I still remember him from Lucas.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.

vCash
    oh my gosh!! That is horrible!!

My thoughts are with his family right now and i hope he has peace where he is now. I know from reading and watching the reality show that he had many problems.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    At that point, who could blame them?
    Well, considering that he wouldn't have had stardom (and the problems that came from it) at an early age without their involvement or at least consent, probably a lot of people.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'm sad to hear he lost his battle with drug addiction, if it is what is being reported.

Its unfortunate, but I barbtoob, I think drug addiction just doesn't effect our generation. It effects all generations. My grandparent's generations, they died of drug overdoses too. Its a personality and probably a genetic issue. Some people's personality and maybe genetic makeup are more prone to addiction than others.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    (((((((((((Lucas))))))))))) I loved that movie.
    OMG, I forgot he was Lucas! I remember that movie well. Awww...
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    There is problem with the expectations of that generation . . . my generation . . . so sad
    Yep. I said to a friend just the other day that they should change our name from Generation X to Generation Effed.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    So sad.

License to Drive is one of my fave movies.

vCash
    sad. and totally not unexpected, which to me sort of makes it sadder. if even non-famous people sort of saw this one coming, you would think someone out there would have tried to reach out to him. maybe they did though, who knows?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast