Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But those might not be tourists who will spend a few extra days, go explore outside the city, come back again for more fun
    Fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    tell their friends how great London is

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Bev Smith article

London lands 2013 world figure skating championships
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1611607/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Obviously, disappointed it is not in Winnipeg
    (((Winnipeg))) I'm disappointed too. I wish Skate Canada had thought outside the box, but apparently not.

vCash
    (Fake) London is an hour's drive/bus ride from me and I have relatives there

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The last time Worlds was in Canada, it was in Calgary. By choosing London this time, it seems to me that they are trying to spread the wealth around the country.

vCash
    It's still going to get the "international media exposure" and the "significant economic impact" no matter where the fans in the arena come from.

London has some major cleaning up to do if it expects return visits from those that attend based on the merits of the city alone. The only reason *I* keep going back repeatedly is because they keep hosting skating events!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    London has some major cleaning up to do if it expects return visits from those that attend based on the merits of the city alone.
    Venues seem to be as subjective as skating itself - I was pleasantly surprised by London, and that was in January when few Canadian cities are at their best. I thought the city was very welcoming, the downtown area for the most part quite lively and fun, lots of places to eat/drink/party, walkable, etc.

I've been to events in other Canadian cities that were far less amenable for a fan attending a skating event.

vCash
    London and the John Labatt Centre have certainly done well to host skating events. They've hosted Canadian figure skating championships in 2005 and 2010, the World synchro skating championships in 2007 and now Worlds in 2013. Also at the John Labatt Centre in 2005, London hosted (and won) the Memorial Cup championship which decides the best junior ice hockey team in Canada.

I thought we would have seen Worlds back in Canada in less than 7 years from the time it was last here, but I'm thrilled that Canada will host it in 2013!

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    I was just snooping around the John Labatt Centre on Google Earth Street View, and it seems to be close to all kinds of little restaurants, including a Tim Hortons down the street. Does anyone know what the neighborhood is like?
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    It's still going to get the "international media exposure" and the "significant economic impact" no matter where the fans in the arena come from.
    Possibly. If people who might want to go can't find hotel rooms or an airfare they can afford, the city is going to lose out on those potential visitors. And people from the area who already have somewhere to stay (like where they live, or with friends) aren't going to be spending money on hotel rooms or maybe not even on restaurants etc.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    I was just snooping around the John Labatt Centre on Google Earth Street View, and it seems to be close to all kinds of little restaurants, including a Tim Hortons down the street. Does anyone know what the neighborhood is like?
    It's in the downtown core, there's a great market across the street that has a lot of chocolate places , some quick but not chain food stands. And we stayed at the Station Park, it was about a 6 block walk. There were a couple of other hotels in that area too, and it was quite a pleasant walk.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The last time Worlds was in Canada, it was in Calgary. By choosing London this time, it seems to me that they are trying to spread the wealth around the country.

Does that mean Ont not getting at least one event per year?

08 - Vancouver and Ottawa
    09 - Stoon and Kitchner
    10 - London and Kingston

And Calgary and Vancouver are intl airports, London isn't quite in the same league. I'm not complaining about the rink which is very nice or the city, just the awkwardness of getting to the event.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Well, I guess I'm going to (fake) London for Worlds. But I would have much rather seen it go to Winnipeg - easier to get to, and closer to my family. But I'm happy it is in Canada - and London was a fine host for Can Nats. I'm going to Skate America 2010 in Portland, and then US Nats are in my back yard in San Jose in 2012. I just need a 2011 event to attend at this rate. Maybe sometime before I die the Grand Prix Final will actually come back to North America. But I'm not counting on it.

vCash
    again...if Winnipeg did not bid or their bid was lacking then it shouldn't have gone there. Seriously, people should read about the new bid process that SC is using. They don't choose locations anymore contrary to what people think..

Quote Originally Posted by icedance21 View Post
    (((Winnipeg))) I'm disappointed too. I wish Skate Canada had thought outside the box, but apparently not.

vCash
    A perfect scenario for me would be Worlds plus some Wolverine ice hockey games for Frozen Four within driving distance from Ann Arbor. Ah, what a trip.

vCash
    I'm going too, but I am worried about the size of the arena and, thus, the fewer number of tickets. Will SC members be able to purchase Worlds tickets early?

vCash
    with 2013 worlds assigned to Canada, only Germany and the USA have hosted more Worlds, right?

vCash
    I am super happy that worlds will be in London. I was there in 2010 and stayed at a great little hotel right by the rink, 2min walk! It had only been open for a week...Metro London Hotel!

Canada gets worlds and changes logo too??? http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_vi.../june22-10.cfm

vCash
    Typically when do tickets normally go on sale for a World's Event. In 1 article I read they said Spring 2011 - is that typically normal ? I've never been to a World Championship and have always said if World's ever came to Ontario I'd make the trip to go. 2013 is so far away, who knows what or where I'll be then, but I'm curious to know about the ticket sales, as to when they go on sale?

vCash
    Re convenience - there is a minimum 2 hour drive from Toronto to London so all persons coming through Toronto will have to rent a car or other transport and drive the very HARROWING dirve to London - it is awful at best. Combine that with freezing rain conditions, or blizzard (much worse than in Winnipeg) and it can be a real nightmare.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast