Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    but according to the earlier post, Toronto isn't bidding.
    Ah... I guess no stopping by the Cricket if so...

London is still nice for me as I have a small base in Ann Arbor, MI. Not a long drive though the border checkpoint can be a pain in the neck.

Winnipeg is alright with me, as well. I can stop by Duluth, MN. Still cold enough around the time there. But, lovely sceneries around Lake Superior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Quebec city has a rather dumpy arena (with horrible food), but it's is a lovely city,although the arena is a bit out of the way.
    I agree but then I felt the same way about Pacific Colisseum when I was in Vancouver for 4CCs in 2009. You also have to drive through a slum to get to it if you're coming from the west.

However, it's amazing what a coat of paint and some floor clings can do...

There's a lot of love for London right now (*shrug*) and yes, Quebec might have a shot. It'll likely come east, I'd guess, which could pull Winterpeg out of the lineup.
    London would be awesome though...2 hours away!

vCash
    I think that London would be a poor choice.Not enough hotel space, for an event as big as Worlds.

Hotel space was very tight for Nationals - what will happen when there is an influx of ISU types, and teams from all over the world? If you live in London. you're fine. But for any fans travelling to London for Worlds, the arena is only convenient if you can get a downtown hotel room. Lotsa luck. London is very spread out. If the only hotels are outside the downtown core, you are looking at a long (and likely expensive commute)

JMO

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    There's more than just hotels in London to stay at. There are plenty of Bed and Breakfasts, but keep in mind that London is one of, if not *the*, top Organ Transplant Centre in Ontario and Canada. When there's a big event in London, it's tough to find a room when you combine whatever's going on and family members of Transplant Recipients and/or Family Members of Patients from out of town and/or Province who are waiting for Transplant.

Just something to keep in mind.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Judging by the comments at the lack of space "back of house" (for skaters, broadcasters, etc.) and my own experience with the crowding in the concourse during 2010 Canadians, I would say that London is not an ideal location for Worlds.

I would anticipate that there would be a significant interest in attending Worlds in 2013 - it will be the one that determines national spots for the 2014 Olympics. Having it in North America should also increase potential attendance. On these grounds as well, London might be a bit on the small side.

Certainly the Colisée Pepsi in Quebec City would not be my idea of a good location either, at least based on my experience at Skate Canada International.

Although I live in Ottawa, I would think that Winnipeg might be a better location.

Guess we'll hear fairly soon...
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Rats!! I thought Canada was getting Worlds in 2012, not 2013 Oh well, it gives me an extra year to save up I'll go regardless of location, as it is in Canada and I haven't been to any of the prospective host cities except for Toronto 20-odd years ago!

However, definitely going to Skate America this year in Portland OR. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?

vCash
    any updates on this? do we have an idea when ISU will be releasing the provisional allotments for 2013? if this indeed happens Sochi will be the first European Olympics since Innsbruck '76 that will be preceeded by a North American Worlds (Colorado Springs 75-Innbruck 76; would've been Colorado Springs 75-Denver 76 had Denver not pulled out). Since, Calgary 88 all North American Winter Olympics were preceeded by a North American Worlds (Cincy 87-Calgary 88; Vancouver 01-SLC 02, LA 09-Vancouver 10). While a European Olympics are usually preceeded by a European Worlds (Helsinki 83-Sarajevo 84; Munich 91-Albertville 92; Prague 93-Lillehammer 94; Moscow 05-Turin 06. Lake Placid was the last NA Olys that were preceeded by a European Worlds (Vienna 79). Both Japanese Olympics were preceeded by European Worlds in cities starting with the letter L (Lyon 71 and Lausanne 97)
    Last edited by lexeoe; 06-18-2010 at 08:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    any updates on this? do we have an idea when ISU will be releasing the provisional allotments for 2013?
    For reference, the ISU released the provisional allotments for the 2012 Worlds/Europeans/World Jrs. on November 30, 2009. They did take an unusually long period of time making a decision on the locations last year, for whatever reason. However, in 2008, they released provisional allotments for the 2011 Europeans & 2011 Worlds on July 14, 2008.

vCash
    Winnipeg is due for a major skating event and is a fabulous city, although it can be really cold even in March.

And it's fair as a location because it's pretty much in the middle of the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Winnipeg is due for a major skating event and is a fabulous city, although it can be really cold even in March.

And it's fair as a location because it's pretty much in the middle of the country.

Winnipeg would be a GREAT location!

The arena is fairly new, very clean, modern and within walking distance to many restaurants and hotels. And, down town is only about a 15 - 20 minute ride (max) from the airport. Once you get dowtown, you could pretty much walk anywhere (lots of nearby accommodations, restaurants, convenience stores, grocery, shops, etc.). There is a free downtown shuttle as well.

It gets cold here during the winter but its really not too bad in March and don't forget ..............it's a 'dry cold.'

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Winnipeg would be a GREAT location!
    Something makes me think you're a bit biased

I'd like it if Winnipeg gets it. Not that it's a city I want to see or anything (sorry, it doesn't get less exciting than Winnipeg ) but a good friend of mine works there and I promissed I'd visit sometime. This will be the prefect motivation

wow, I really am a bad friend

vCash
    I so hope Winnipeg gets Worlds!! Like other posters have said, the arena is great and located right downtown near hotels, shopping, bars, etc. Also by 2013; the new airport will be open, the HUGE Human Rights museum, and possibly a new shopping centre! Winnipeg also is a great place for the performing arts, museums, galleries, etc!

As for the weather, yes it's cold but it is winter on the Prairies - what else would you expect?
    Last edited by i love to skate; 06-18-2010 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    No decision yet? I was so hoping that there was an announcement that brought this discusion back to to the top.

Re: Weather in Winnipeg - remember that it is March. I look forward to the World Championship in March every year because it is typically the week that the average daily temp in Winnipeg gets to 0C. So, it can be abnormally cold in March but it can also be above freezing - lots of variability and definitely not as bad as Jan/Feb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    Re: Weather in Winnipeg - remember that it is March. I look forward to the World Championship in March every year because it is typically the week that the average daily temp in Winnipeg gets to 0C. So, it can be abnormally cold in March but it can also be above freezing - lots of variability and definitely not as bad as Jan/Feb.
    2009 LA: late March average high around 21C
    2010 Torino: late March average high around 12C
    2011 Tokyo: late March average high around 12C
    2012 Nice: late March average high around 15C
    2013 Winnipeg?: late March average high near 0C

Oh joy!

vCash
    I know, I know... but it's not as bad as everyone thinks when then they think of Winterpeg. And I'm just saying, it's not like nationals which would occur in January...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Worlds were in Moscow in 2005, and the weather hovered around 0C (32F). We had some snow flurries. We were fine.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    2009 LA: late March average high around 21C
    2010 Torino: late March average high around 12C
    2011 Tokyo: late March average high around 12C
    2012 Nice: late March average high around 15C
    2013 Winnipeg?: late March average high near 0C

Oh joy!
    How about you go 1 year further

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    I'd like it if Winnipeg gets it. Not that it's a city I want to see or anything (sorry, it doesn't get less exciting than Winnipeg ) wow, I really am a bad friend
    Oh, it gets far less exciting than Winnipeg.

Winnipeg is a city with two universities, a ballet, a theater, a cinema rep house, some very funky neighborhoods and some very posh ones, lots of old character homes/buildings, cultural diversity, and lots of great ethnic restaurants. Pretty much anything you would want from a city, minus a subway and warm weather.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Royal Winnipeg Ballet is a wonderful company -- Seattle is lucky to have three former dancers from it -- and Evelyn Hart was their leading ballerina for years, one of the great Giselles.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    My sister lives in Winnipeg so I do support the city. It IS a rather odd city in the sense that it's s very big small town about 3/4 of a million and has a surprising amount of culture and ethnic diversity for being in the middle of nowhere. Yes, the architecture is wonderful, too as it's not a city of massive recent growth which therefore causes tons of cookie cutter suburbs. Lots of character.

Spring and fall are ideal times to visit. Winter is freakishly cold and in summer it's the mosquito world capital.

The arena and location are both world class.

I hear the complaints about London so I guess that's out. I'm hoping they don't recycle Ottawa, Hamilton or Halifax as I'm not interested in any of those locations even though two are close to me.

Toronto would be near impossible, to get access to the ACC for two weeks, where the Raptors and Leafs both play. The Ricoh Centre holds 8K people. Probably too small. No other big arenas.

Same situation in Montreal. I'd love that city to host it, but the Bell Centre is the only arena and likely either too $$ or not available. Not sure of the fan support there either. Probably too risky to test without hosting a nationals first.

So, maybe it's Quebec City or Winnipeg which are the realistic choices....although I have a feeling Ottawa will somehow end up in the running. And, even though there's a bias to come east, do not count out Edmonton. That city has a rabid sports fan base, and is likely to the the only city that could sell out a 16,000 seat arena.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast