Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Will Australia ever get a shot again? Or should I wait until Hell freezes over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Megi View Post
    If the organizing committee in LA managed to get the Staples Center for Worlds last year I'm sure it could be done with Air Canada Centre as well. As for practice rink, it was set up next dor to Staples, at the Convention Centre. Again, the CC in Toronto is only steps away from ACC... Just saying.
    The ACC has indicated in the past that they have no interest in hosting Worlds. Unless that has changed I don't see Toronto hosting a Worlds.

vCash
    What about Rogers Centre? lol

vCash
    There's also the Ricoh Centre. It's where the Marlies play and it's on the lakeshore. Holds about 8,100 people. Low on atmosphere though and for this city you should fit more people. It's about time Toronto holds a big event....and do it in the ACC.

London has great fan support and arena but terrible accessibility for travellers. Winnipeg has ok fan support and accessibility and a fantastic arena. Ottawa is pretty ok on all counts but is an overused city for skating events. I have concerns about Quebec City on fan support, arena although I dig the city.

All in all I have Winnipeg 2nd, London 3rd, Ottawa 4th and QC last in my rankings for suitability. Wherever it is, I'll be there!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Aborigines controversy should help Australian chances..

when was the last time australian had a big skating competition, Goodwill Games?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The ACC has indicated in the past that they have no interest in hosting Worlds. Unless that has changed I don't see Toronto hosting a Worlds.
    I was thinking earlier that maybe having a few Olympic medalists in the last games, including a pair that may possibly stay amateur then, may change the minds of ACC head honchos.

Okay, that's mostly wishful thinking.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I thought Missisauga hosted Skate Canada, maybe they can have it there?

vCash

Smile 2013 World Championship

Winnipeg has a beautiful new arena,MTS Centre. It is close to most of the major hotels,many connected by overpass or tunnels. Winnipeg also has some of the best and most varied restaurants in Canada. Also,most of the rinks which will likely be used for practice are within 15-30 minutes drive from the hotels ie: StJames CC ,the University of Manitoba.
    Having Worlds here might be a shot in the arm for Figure Skating in this province,one which it badly needs.
    From experience,trvelling here can be a pain,but not really so bad. Coming from Europe,many people bypass Toronto and fly to Chicago or Minneapolis where there is a direct 1 1/2 hr flight to Winnipeg.coming the other direction it is not unusual to fly from Vancouver or Edmonton,Calgary,or to fly from Seattle to Chicago or Minneapolis. I also believe Air Canada has a direct flight from Denver to Winnipeg. It is really more of a pain to fly to Winnipeg from within Canada,which is why driving is so popular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I thought Missisauga hosted Skate Canada, maybe they can have it there?

It's too small.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burmese View Post
    It is really more of a pain to fly to Winnipeg from within Canada,which is why driving is so popular.
    I don't understand. It is a full day drive to Calgary from Winnipeg, almost two to Toronto (through the states). Flying to Winnipeg would definitely be the better option, and there are lots of direct flight to Winnipeg from Canadian cities - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Toronto. My experience has been that there are less direct flights to the east - Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and those may require transfer in Toronto. But, it's easy to fly to Winnipeg from Canadian cities and like you said, there are direct flights to Minneapolis, Chicago, and Denver - all are major hubs. But, I would never drive to Winnipeg unless you have an extended holiday and you have never seen the prairies...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    I don't understand. It is a full day drive to Calgary from Winnipeg, almost two to Toronto (through the states). Flying to Winnipeg would definitely be the better option, and there are lots of direct flight to Winnipeg from Canadian cities - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Toronto. My experience has been that there are less direct flights to the east - Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and those may require transfer in Toronto. But, it's easy to fly to Winnipeg from Canadian cities and like you said, there are direct flights to Minneapolis, Chicago, and Denver - all are major hubs. But, I would never drive to Winnipeg unless you have an extended holiday and you have never seen the prairies...
    Clearly, worlds should be in Toronto, as it's the easiest, most direct flight route.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    The issue with Australia IMO is that the vast majority of skaters, their teams and officials will have to fly great distances to get there, and the time difference also means extra days in hotels to get adjusted. At a time when federations and individuals are stretched for cash, I don't think it makes sense to have a major event in a remote location.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    At a time when federations and individuals are stretched for cash, I don't think it makes sense to have a major event in a remote location.
    And yet we have Winnipeg and (fake) London bidding for Worlds.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    There's also the Ricoh Centre. It's where the Marlies play and it's on the lakeshore. Holds about 8,100 people. Low on atmosphere though and for this city you should fit more people. It's about time Toronto holds a big event....and do it in the ACC.
    Ricoh would make a nice practice rink for an event at the ACC. Maybe not the easiest to get back and forth though. Both arenas are on the Lakeshore Go Train route which makes them accessible for people from outside of Toronto too.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    And yet we have Winnipeg and (fake) London bidding for Worlds.
    Is this a joke? Because one only has to look at an atlas and compare it with a list of competitive athletes and ISU officials to see that Winnipeg and London are not at all remote when compared to Australia.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Is this a joke? Because one only has to look at an atlas and compare it with a list of competitive athletes and ISU officials to see that Winnipeg and London are not at all remote when compared to Australia.
    Well, when compared to Australia....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I believe that all of you have sold me on Winnipeg. Sounds wonderful AND convenient for hotel-to-arena proximity. I can deal with a change of flights in Toronto for this!!!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Personally I'll be hoping for Quebec City only if they have a new rink by then.

If not QC, then London or Toronto.

vCash
    Toronto.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burmese View Post
    It is really more of a pain to fly to Winnipeg from within Canada,which is why driving is so popular.
    I disagree. Winnipeg is easy to get to from most major centers in Canada. I’ve flown all over the country in the last 10 years (including trips to both coasts) with no difficulties at all. Very cheap flights too, so driving would make no sense. The only problems I’ve run into were getting to Kitchener and London this year. There were no flights at all to KW, and the only flights to London were on an itty-bitty plane that held about 20 people. If you have to get a connecting flight to Winnipeg from TO or wherever, at least it will be on a full sized plane.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast