Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAxel View Post
    I am going to be greedy and cheer for London! Can never get enough events in your hometown!
    Ditto!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Or fly .. there are frequent flights from Toronto and Detroit.
    Every time I've been to London I haven't been able to get a connecting flight from Toronto at a reasonable time or at a reasonable price. IME it's much easier to take the train or rent a car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Megi View Post
    Toronto
    If Toronto gets it, can I book hotel room thru you? I'm sure you'll be there!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Every time I've been to London I haven't been able to get a connecting flight from Toronto at a reasonable time or at a reasonable price. IME it's much easier to take the train or rent a car.
    Agreed. It all depends when you want to get here. But a lot can change in 3 years given the federal government's plans for London airport. So I'm just going to keep dreaming about walking to the JLC for worlds!

vCash
    Hey, if London gets it, that could be major incentive for V/M to stay in til then, and then of course Sochi the year later )

vCash
    I would like to see it in Winnipeg because it is close to me (I'm in Saskatoon). I didn't go to Canadians in London because the cost to fly there was so high. Winnipeg has a decent size airport and it would only take me about 1 hour to fly there. My ultimate would be for Saskatoon to have worlds but I don't see that happening. Although we did just hold the world junior hockey championships and have added seating to CUC (the capacity is now around 14,000).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    You've just had the Olympics. Stop being greedy.
    SLC 2002 with Washington the year after was greedy. At least we're waiting a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Megi View Post
    Toronto
    Absolutely.

I get the whole rah-rah share the wealth with the other provinces, but Toronto hasn't had an event in how long? Pffft, enough of London already.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Well the last three worlds held in Canada were out West (Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary), I think it's time that they came out east!

I could deal with London, but while I had a good time there for Nats, the area that the arena is is, well kind of sketchy... especially at night. I was there for Nationals in 2005 as well, and don't remember it being sketchy, so I will say things can change.

I heard that Benoit Lavoie wanted Quebec City to host Worlds, but they couldn't in 2012 because it interefered with the Quebec Junior Hockey team (who uses the Colisee)

vCash
    I believe Winnipeg's major airport renovation will be done by then, no? That should definitely help.

vCash
    The new airport will definitely be open by then. The MTS centre is beautiful and easily connected with many downtown hotels. Volunteer base is good, crowds should be good, I think the biggest problem may be lack of near-by practice arenas. But, there is time so who knows what is being planned. I'm super excited because it is my hometown and it's been a long time since we've had a major event. I too would be happy with Skate Canada or Canadian nationals, but this would be awesome!!

vCash
    I say put a Canadian Championships in Winnipeg and host the World Championships in Montreal (or Quebec City would be great as well).

vCash
    I don't know why more events are held in Montreal. I would love that!! Quebec City would be lovely too except the arena sounds like it is an older arena - something that will surely be considered in the decision. London was wonderful for nationals this year except it was difficult for travel (I could not get a direct flight). But then again, most people flying internationally will likely have to fly to Toronto and then connect to Winnipeg. I also thought the arena was small and not anywhere near as nice as the new MTS Centre in Winnipeg. It will be interesting to see what they choose...

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Winnipeg!!! I have family there, so no hotel costs...I would be there for sure!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwagner View Post
    Hey, if London gets it, that could be major incentive for V/M to stay in til then, and then of course Sochi the year later )
    DING DING DING! Even though I'm not sure Worlds in your hometown trumps Olympics in your country, but anything to keep them skating a little while longer.

vCash
    Just so you all know, it will go to Winnipeg, how do I know you ask?

Currently, I live within driving distance of Winnipeg. Soon, I will be moving to within driving distance of London; therefore.. Winnipeg will get it based on the kind of luck I have so far.. lol

vCash
    London, London, London! There's no way Toronto will ever get it (and that would be my first choice, being the Centre of the Universe, and also home), so I'm all for London or Ottawa. I prefer the Labatt Centre and its central location to the suburban Ottawa rink, so London would definitely be my first non-Toronto choice.

vCash
    C'mon Toronto, the largest city in Ontario. What are you doing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Ottawa or Toronto, please....
    The arena in Ottawa is too far out of town and away from everything. For Worlds they need a decent rink, close to hotels, and close to a second arena where they can hold practices.

The only arena in Toronto that you could put a Worlds in is the Air Canada Centre and that's not available. Availability of practice ice at an arena close by would be a problem too.

Winnipeg would be perfect. Easy to get to, and a brand new arena all ready and waiting in the heart of the city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The only arena in Toronto that you could put a Worlds in is the Air Canada Centre and that's not available. Availability of practice ice at an arena close by would be a problem too.

ACC is not available? because of other events?

vCash
    If the organizing committee in LA managed to get the Staples Center for Worlds last year I'm sure it could be done with Air Canada Centre as well. As for practice rink, it was set up next dor to Staples, at the Convention Centre. Again, the CC in Toronto is only steps away from ACC... Just saying.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast