Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    I totally understand personal disappointment - I myself have often been disappointed when locations are announced and they aren't convenient for me.

It just seems that in this case, there is much higher degree of emotion that's going beyond Winnipeg's loss (if they were even in contention) and is now focused on all the reasons London is a bad choice, and now we're back to the same old arguments from western Canada.

Nobody seems to be complaining that Cdns are in Victoria this year, or that Quebec and the Maritimes have no events this year, or that they get less events than other regions. Or that they didn't get Worlds.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

Most of the people I've met from Toronto consider themselves from Toronto first, like New Yorkers. But I'm sure you've met many more than I have. I guess I'm going to have to start considering myself a "Westerner". Who knew?

Like you said earlier, it's subjective.

Well Toronto is its own little universe, isn't it? I don't think you would find that in many other Ontario cities.

I would have gone to worlds whatever city is was held in- each one for me had pluses and minuses. London will do. As Winnipeg would have, or Ottawa (sniff! ).

But I would like to see a big event in Winnipeg soon- maybe SC next year?
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I totally understand personal disappointment - I myself have often been disappointed when locations are announced and they aren't convenient for me.

It just seems that in this case, there is much higher degree of emotion that's going beyond Winnipeg's loss (if they were even in contention) and is now focused on all the reasons London is a bad choice, and now we're back to the same old arguments from western Canada.

Nobody seems to be complaining that Cdns are in Victoria this year, or that Quebec and the Maritimes have no events this year, or that they get less events than other regions. Or that they didn't get Worlds.
    You must have missed the bitchfest about Victoria getting Canadians, then, after hosting SC in 2006 and the string of events in Vancouver.

I just found out I was a Westerner, so I guess I should now consider London much more inconvenient than when I posted five minutes ago that this wasn't a consideration for traveling from the Pacific Northwest.

And, yes, I do feel for the people the middle provinces who've seen almost all of the events in a five-year period seesawing between the Pacific Northwest and Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    or Ottawa (sniff! ).
    You are a brave woman, since the last time Ottawa hosted anything, you were running a boardinghouse for FSUers! (And mr. cygnus is a very brave man!) And that was only a long weekend, although by 2013, Worlds might be a long weekend.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 06-23-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Part of me hopes Winnipeg never gets another skating event just so that we can have one of these types of threads every time a skating location announcement is made.

Bringing Albinoni Back
    vCash
    I'm just disappointed that it's not in Ottawa because I have a free place to stay there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    Part of me hopes Winnipeg never gets another skating event just so that we can have one of these types of threads every time a skating location announcement is made.
    But it shows that Canadians are emotional
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I want the Maritimes to get something. I really wanted Saint John to get SC or Nats. It is their turn, but I knew Halifax probably wouldn't be bidding on anything this year, maybe next.

And I'd love it if Yellowknife or Whitehorse got an event (not that that is ever going to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818
    But it shows that Canadians are emotional
    But it's a polite, reserved emotional state.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    You must have missed the bitchfest about Victoria getting Canadians, then, after hosting SC in 2006 and the string of events in Vancouver.
    I just checked the thread about Victoria Canadians, and other than one person saying that all events are in BC and Ontario and another saying BC seemed to be getting alot of events, the rest of the thread is filled with yippees and people discussing event logistics. And strangely, no one complaining that Winnipeg didn't get it.

Is there another thread on the topic?

vCash
    That's one way to look at it. If you look at it as the last Olympic cycle going forward:

Southern BC:
    Skate Canada: 2006 Victoria
    Canadian Nationals: 2008 Vancouver, 2011 Victoria
    Four Continents: 2009 Vancouver
    Olympic Games: 2010 Vancouver

Southern Ontario
    Skate Canada: 2008 Ottawa, 2009 Kitchener, 2010 Kingston.
    Canadian Nationals: 2006 Ottawa, 2010 London

Elsewhere:
    Skate Canada: 2007 (Quebec City)
    Canadian Nationals: 2007 Halifax, 2009 Saskatoon
    Worlds: 2006 Calgary

The only year there wasn't an event in southern Ontario or southern BC was 2007.
    You do realize the reason why BC got so many events in the last Olympic cycle, don't you?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Maybe Winnipeg should get its name changed to Whineypeg.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    You do realize the reason why BC got so many events in the last Olympic cycle, don't you?
    Uh, yes for three events in Vancouver, but I'm not quite sure how Victoria is preparation for the Olympics. Wouldn't that make it even more frustrating that the rest hasn't been more equally distributed?

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Maybe Winnipeg should get its name changed to Whineypeg.
    Whineypeg, Crynada?
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Again..I will state the same thing... THEY DIDNT PUT IN A STONG ENOUGH BID FOR EVENTS. Simple as that..case closed. Maybe if the Manitoba section or in actuality A HOST CLUB (which is what SC now requires) put ins a strong bid the MB will get events. When they do lots of us will go. But until that time, MB won't get events

Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    Rafter, part of the problem is that Winnipeg gets nothing. We had Nats in 2001 and it was sold out. Since then, nothing and we have a new arena and all hotels are super close (walking distance, some with the indoor tunnel so no going outside!). It was the perfect location.

We've had to watch all skating event s go to either Ontario or BC and this is getting crazy; there is no reason why Winnipeg cannot host a major event iike Worlds or even Skate Canada but we never seem to catch a break. Saskatoon has had more events than us! Lately, I've been looking at the schedule and am beginning to think it's made to help V & M stay amateur until Sochi. It's the only reason I could see why they are hosting Worlds in London. Shelling out $2000 a year (tickets, airfare, hotel and food) to attend Nationals for a week is no longer in the cards for me so I am disappointed that once again, Winnipeg is overlooked. I certainly hope we get Nationals again, but I would love an international competition here as well, to help encourage and inspire the local skaters.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1andonly View Post
    Again..I will state the same thing... THEY DIDNT PUT IN A STONG ENOUGH BID FOR EVENTS. Simple as that..case closed.
    Could very well be. But "case closed"? Were you privy to the bid process?

There have been a number of bids historically in the Olympic process that were sketchy, but propped up for political or reasons, and I have no reason to believe that the ISU is somehow immune to political considerations.

London might have submitted the best bid. Winnipeg's might have been crap. London might be the best place to have Worlds.

Or maybe not. Not that it matters, because they've made their decision.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Surely the choice of (fake) London was down to Skate Canada. My impression was that the ISU was giving 2013 Worlds to Canada no matter which city was hosting.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    That was my understanding as well. As for nationals, western/easterns, SC, etc that is up to SC to choose on the best bid and well honestly maybe people who want something in MB should contact the section and see if any bid were put forth rather then whine....

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Surely the choice of (fake) London was down to Skate Canada. My impression was that the ISU was giving 2013 Worlds to Canada no matter which city was hosting.

vCash
    My understanding was the host cities submit their bids to SC and then they pick the best one to submit to the ISU.

I also heard from someone reliable that Canada submitted Winnipeg to host the 2012 Worlds and got shutdown by the ISU. This is maybe why they chose another city to submit for 2013.

vCash
    maybe since the ISU is trying to makes Worlds smaller, they decided that giving it to London could be the start. Maybe Spokane is not far away from hosting Worlds. But after LA, should the US send another Western bid? I'm thinking Midwest or even East Coast. Boston Worlds at the TD Garden anyone?

vCash
    Uh, yes for three events in Vancouver, but I'm not quite sure how Victoria is preparation for the Olympics. Wouldn't that make it even more frustrating that the rest hasn't been more equally distributed?
    Um, no. Seems to me like Skate Canada was spreading around their lone international event to various locales in Canada, Victoria being one of them. Just so happens it was about 4 years out from the Olympics.

Anyway, I don't get why you're perserverating over this.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateblade View Post

I also heard from someone reliable that Canada submitted Winnipeg to host the 2012 Worlds and got shutdown by the ISU.
    Nice v Winnipeg - that must have been a hard decision.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast