Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Canada bidding for 2013 world championship

Just found this article that lists the possible choices for 2013 world championship. I say - Go Winnipeg!! If not Winnipeg, London...

http://www.am980.ca/channels/news/lo...spx?id=1202028

vCash
    I thought World would be Europe considering next Olympics are going to be in Sochi. well... good luck with bidding

vCash
    2011 worlds - Japan
    2012 worlds - Nice, France

I'm sure Sochi will have other high level international test events closer to the date. Vancouver hosted nationals and four continents in preparation for the 2010 Games.

Worlds has been in Europe in 2008, 2010, and 2012. Canada had been on a cycle for every 5 years. This will be 7 years between worlds, so it's time.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    I'm sure Sochi will have other high level international test events closer to the date.
    Probably Euros.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Official confirmation of Winnipeg’s bid : http://www.cjob.com/Sports/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1203673

Quebec City would be my next choice (although the arena is crap). Wonder if this is the reason Skate Canada has delayed announcing next season’s locations for Skate Canada and Canadians until April?
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Why not China??? or Korea?? lol
    China got their pairs in both senior and junior (who will be senior by then). And Korea, got Kim and mini Kim!! I wish Yuna stay upto Sochi and collect another Olympics Gold and multiply world title. Kim vs. Asada vs. Marai, that should make interesting battle.

vCash
    Worlds come to Winnipeg, i don't care the price, I am so there!!

vCash
    Please, calling all skate gods and anyone else who wants to listen: WINNIPEG!! We've had nothing here since Nationals in 2001 and that was at the old arena.

K

vCash
    The article says that the Championships will be in the first week of March...seems earlier than usual.

vCash
    Ottawa or Toronto, please....direct flights from my local airport, 10 minutes from my house. I love Quebec City and the Chateau Frontenac...but that CocaCola or Pepsi Coliseum is the pitts, sorry to say...based on SkCanada 2007 trip there. Most uncomfortable seats ever for a major skating event. Located in the boonies, far from the main part of city.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I disagree with Toronto or Ottawa. Honestly, Nationals lately have been in the east (London, Ottawa, Saskatchewan have had them twice within the last few years!) Vancouver had many events because of the Olympics, but here, nada. We get SOI and that's it. We've had nothing competition-wise in Winnipeg since 2001 unless you count World Team Challenge 2004. The hotels are walking distance to the arena, some even have access to the tunnels so you don't even need to go outside!

I am wondering if this is the reason why SC is delaying announcement of next year's Nationals. If Winnipeg does get the nod, perhaps they will have Nats here next year or the year after?

I've been dying for Nats to come back here; so if we get Worlds, chances are we will get Canadians before as well.

bird is the word
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    Worlds come to Winnipeg, i don't care the price, I am so there!!
    Me too! Its about time we got something. I would be happy if we got Canadians back....
    "Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead." - Homer Simpson

vCash
    I honestly had thought that worlds would be held in Canada in 2011 or 2012, but Skate Canada may have been holding out for the just-before-the-Olympics worlds in 2013, since those worlds are generally considered the most desirable. It's time the world championships got back to Canada.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icedance21 View Post
    I honestly had thought that worlds would be held in Canada in 2011 or 2012, but Skate Canada may have been holding out for the just-before-the-Olympics worlds in 2013, since those worlds are generally considered the most desirable. It's time the world championships got back to Canada.
    You've just had the Olympics. Stop being greedy.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Winnipeg and Toronto sound good to me.
    Last edited by icedance21; 03-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    Which city is easier to get to?

vCash
    Toronto
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

vCash
    Winnipeg is much easier.
    London is a really nice city but it only has a small airport with limited service, so most people going there fly to Toronto and then take the bus or the train (or drive). It's about a two-hour trip.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Winnipeg is much easier.
    London is a really nice city but it only has a small airport with limited service, so most people going there fly to Toronto and then take the bus or the train (or drive). It's about a two-hour trip.
    Or fly .. there are frequent flights from Toronto and Detroit.

vCash
    I am going to be greedy and cheer for London! Can never get enough events in your hometown!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast