Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Manon Perron Retires

(I don't think there was a thread for this yet.)

Manon Perron has been planning to finish her coaching career after the 2009-2010 season. Unless something has changed, she is going to move on from skating.

I have spoken to a number of skaters who have worked with her. They all spoke very positively of her, praising her skill, professionalism, commitment and good character.

To quote one skater: "She could be a role model for all coaches."

A huge loss for Canadian (and world) skating.

Does anybody know the reasons for her decision and what she is going to pursue now?

vCash
    Oh, this is sad.

She was a wonderful coach! I wish her the best of luck on whatever she decides to do in the future!

vCash
    I believe that Manon was named 1 year ago to an all Quebec (or all Canada) role in skater development and coaching mentoring through Skate Canada...(someone can correct the specifics here)

She had given up all of her skaters in St Leonard prior to 2010, but stayed on ( as sole coach) through Vancouver for Joannie.

This is the next step towards fulfilling her mentoring full time.

She will still be able to share her considerable gifts in both of those areas.

I hold her in very high regard

vCash

vCash
    Skate Canada will be lucky to have her.

vCash
    You can just tell, even through the TV screen, that Manon is not only a fantastic coach, but a fantastic person. I'll never forget her with Joannie in the KnC in Vancouver.

Good luck with your new endeavours, Manon.

vCash
    I've known for awhile. While she is no longer coaching, she will still be involved in skating. She'll be mentoring other coaches in Quebec with coaching elite skaters to the Olympics to medal (I'm not sure of the official title but it has something to do with that.).

What a wonderful coach and her wisdom and experience will go a long way to helping other coaches develop skaters do as well as Joannie.

vCash
    That's great to hear guys.

Skate Canada is lucky to be able to use her expertise.

vCash
    Manon is now the spiritual coach of all Quebec ID skaters... and that's a lot of work!

vCash
    Oh my God. Such a good coach, I hardly believe she wants to quit.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Je vous souhaite bonne chance pour l'avenir, Manon! Vous êtes un entraîneur formidable et personne!

vCash
    Manon doesn't retire completely from skating! She said in a lot of articles this season that she will be an expert coach for Quebec's skating's federation(FPAQ).

Her job is to help athlets and coaches to find easily and financially psychologists, choregraphs, conditioning's coach, etc. She will also do seminars and things like that. It will help a lot the coaches and skaters from Quebec. Good for her!

vCash
    Who is going to be Joannie's coach now?

vCash
    I can't imagine how difficult coaching would be, with the odd hours and irregular schedule...never mind the travel. You'd have to have such passion to get through it.

I think now Manon would be able to cast her talents over a broader group and in a schedule that is a little more normal. Win win for everyone.

I don't know of Joannie would move over to Annie Barabe. I doubt it. I could see her moving to Toronto like Josee did and hooking up with someone. Would probably have been Orser if not for Yu-Na. I could see her skating with Patrick Chan and taking on a Bourne/Nichol combo for coaching as she transitions half into professional. Depends on where is the best pivot point for her to manage sponsors and travel to where she needs to.

Back to Manon, I'm disappointed to find/read few interviews with her. Her story would be just as interesting in terms of how she handled Joannie in Vancouver, what she said to her and how her role was forced to change from being strictly a coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Back to Manon, I'm disappointed to find/read few interviews with her. Her story would be just as interesting in terms of how she handled Joannie in Vancouver, what she said to her and how her role was forced to change from being strictly a coach.
    Maybe she doesn't want to tell that "story" to the press.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Maybe she doesn't want to tell that "story" to the press.
    She told it at a coach workshop at the annual meeting in Toronto, from a coach perspective. She's going to be absolutely amazing as a mentor coach working with FPAQ.

vCash
    Rock2, I think Orser would still be a good idea; Joannie can really benefit skating alongside Yu Na and it would push her to do better. Right now, she's not being pushed at all in her home arena. There isn't anyone else apart from Orser I can think of that would be a better influence unless she returned to Sebastian Britten and Josee Normand.

vCash
    Why does everybody assume Joannie will keep competing??
    I mean, why should she? Already she has a world silver, Olympic bronze, how much better can it get??

vCash
    I think Brian Orser would be a great coach for Joannie if she chose to continue on. I didn't see the roster outside of ice dance for the grand prix. Is she staying on? I would love it if she did.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skateushka View Post
    Why does everybody assume Joannie will keep competing??
    I mean, why should she? Already she has a world silver, Olympic bronze, how much better can it get??
    I am sure she is going to retire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast