Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

vCash
    I love a good tango. G&P's tango from 1997 is a fave of mine. D&W can definitely pull off an excellent tango.

I am kind of disappointed about both V&M and D&W's FD choices though I will wait to see them before I really pass judgement. Tango and Latin...how very danc'ey' of them

Maybe they will have me completely enthralled as I love both teams for very diferent reasons.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    What about there new exibition music?

vCash
    I wonder if anyone went to the Sun Valley show.

vCash
    I've been looking around. I just want a glimpse into what they will be doing this season. It's just our luck that no cell phones/video are allowed at Sun Valley. Sign. Any news out there...please post.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I'm wondering if they might not even have a new exhibition yet. They've probably been pretty focused on their competitive programs since they got a bit of a late start this summer.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    I can't find anything either. And they call this the Information Age.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Or could they show one of there competitive programs and didnt want fans let know something about it?
    They will have first GP event this season

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    I heard that Meryl and Charlie performed their Indian OD and POTO at Sun Valley. So no new info from there. We've had quite a bit of info the past few weeks, with Amelie and tango, so I think I can live.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    This tango epitomizes many of the features that I utterly detest about tangos:

1. Music by Piazzolla, including nasty humming orchestration as annoying as krumhorns. , not to mention discordant percussive effects as annoying as banging pot lids. At least there is no one bawling "Roxane" during it, though.
    2. Excessive mugging, especially by the woman.
    3. Over emoting to the boring max
    4. Stereotypical costumes

Yes, there are people who love tangos. They are completely entitled to their opinion. So am I.
    You know, Doris, this is very similar to how I felt last summer when I learned D/W were doing Bollywood (I know you're just talking about Dean's tango here, but I liked how you made a list ). There are few things I hate more in this world than Bollywood, having been subjected to these ridiculous movies (as well as Indian dance) as a child. Yet D/W completely knocked me off my feet with their OD. I actually found myself liking the music they used and even the dancing. That's not to say that if any other dance team did Bollywood, I'd like it too - Meryl is the only female ice dancer who can pull it off, IMO (although I thought some of the junior and younger routines were kinda cute in a little kid way). It'd be horrific on any of the ice dance females who are prone to overacting. And I'm still going to loathe sitting through 3-hour long Indian dance recitals.

So I'm not saying you should stop hating tangos (cuz I'm not stopping hating on Bollywood anytime soon!), but let's hope D/W come up with a tango as unique as the Indian dance. We don't even know what music they're using! D/W will be trying to win a Worlds title with this FD - I can't see them accepting something they don't think will give them a good chance at that. It's hard to accept it when a team you have a soft spot for picks a theme you personally despise...but sometimes it works out surprisingly well.

vCash
    I hope you're right. Shpilband teams have gotten dropped like a stone with tangos-I'm thinking P&S and the Shibs, for 2. OTOH, one of the few tangos I can stand to watch would be D&W's tango OD from 2007--of course, it had the virtue of being only 2:40 long though. I really began to like them in that year, partially because they could do a dance I detested and I didn't totally hate it. To me, that seemed quite special

And it did have an absolutely stunning straight line f/w sequence which compensated for a lot. If they can do that and avoid Piazzolla & Roxane, I will be unhappy, but perhaps quiet.

I can live with an Amelie SD.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 08-24-2010 at 11:24 AM.

vCash
    Well, Meryl and Charlie should be headed to Colorado for Champs Camp. I read the article at the USFS site and it said the skaters will be performing their programs for feedback. Champs Camp isn't open to the public, icenetwork will be following it, though. Hopefully we'll at least hear what their music choices are!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Group pic from Champs Camp - the sixth picture in the slideshow

Charlie's hair is still very short.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I sure hope she doesn't. IMO, she and Ben spent the last 4 years making poor music and choreo choices (not to mention costuming). I really, really hope she does not intend to "help" D-W's careers by suggesting similarly bad choices for them. I am stumped about the possibility of Amelie as the SD for Davis-White. I mean, that had to be Belbin-A's worst free dance ever, and the music was a big part of its awfulness. That music just drones on and on like Chinese water torture, with no variations (except at the cuts), no melody, and no climaxes. The fast section at the end was especially fingernails-on-the-blackboard annoying.
    Interesting, because I loved that program. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post

I had a feeling the curls would be gone this year. But, it's okay, it's time for a change.

ETA: Also some good stuff coming out of Champs Camp...Maia S has grown two inches (yeah!), Igor is pushing Evan and Emily for "more speed" (good!), and Meryl had this to say..
    Meryl said she and Charlie "really want to reinvent ourselves" and "explore another side of our skating" this season
    . Yes.
    Last edited by ~tapdancer~; 08-27-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: champs camp stuff

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post

Sigh, I guess it will be short this season. How will I live? It looks like it may be his natural color in that picture, I hope he keeps like that. Is that Meryl I spy in the middle wagging her finger?

I wonder if we will get to see any pictures of costumes from them. I'm sure Meryl's SD dress will be gorgeous and she's always fierce in Spanish costumes (well, that's assuming the costumes for the FD ARE Spanish). I hope no one puts Charlie in an oversized suit like the one he used for the OD a few seasons back - I don't dislike tango suits, but that one had such broad shoulders, it looked like it was meant for Charlie to grow into.

Also, quote from Lynn Rutherford's twitter;

"We have power, speed; now we're really focusing on line, toe point, things that weren't necessarily our strength in the past" Meryl says.
    LINE AND TOE POINT!

vCash
    YES, again! Line and toe point...I think they have already been improving on these particular aspects but to hear Meryl say it...well, all the more sweeter! Cause that's a area they definitely can make better.

It's those little differences that can help put them at the top...where they belong.

Oh, and let me add a few more...

vCash
    All good

And if it happens to be tango : Charlie's blonde curls had to go anyway. No curlesy Charlesy any more.

vCash
    nooo, I want my Charlie's golden curls back!!!

vCash
    I hope no one puts Charlie in an oversized suit like the one he used for the OD a few seasons back - I don't dislike tango suits, but that one had such broad shoulders, it looked like it was meant for Charlie to grow into.
    I think that OD tango suit was supposed to be evoking the 1930s, with the pinstripes and cut of the pants, but agree it looked too big. Oversized clothing like that detracts from the look of any skater.

I hope part of focusing more on line means Charlie will be wearing closer fitting clothes than his usual choices. I've often thought his pants, especially looked too big in the thighs and not cut well for his shape. (As a sewer myself, I look at costume cut and construction a lot.)

If anyone is keeping score, I vote for the curls. Without them, he looks so sweet and wholesome and, well, mid-Western. I think the more Bohemian look works better for ice dance. (I did think, though, that his hair had gotten too long by Worlds last year.)

vCash
    mia joy;2857389]
    nooo, I want my Charlie's golden curls back!!!
    Me too

vCash
    Here's an interview (old by the look of Charlie's hair) posted on a NC station.

http://www.myfox8.com/sports/figures...,2962019.story

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast